33 Moose seized

Terry

the numbers seem a little weird 

in 9 days they checked almost 4000 hunters, 440 per day, and that's only in P Sound, Bancroft and Pembroke regions?

how many COs would they need to accomplish that? then where are all these COs when they're not busy with the fall hunting season?

Edited by chris.brock

18 hours ago, chris.brock said:

in 9 days they checked almost 4000 hunters, 440 per day, and that's only in P Sound, Bancroft and Pembroke regions?

how many COs would they need to accomplish that? then where are all these COs when they're not busy with the fall hunting season?

When I hunted, I for some reason, seen them much more then when fishing.

19 hours ago, chris.brock said:

Good point, the numbers don't add up. Unless..... multiple offenses going to one hunter.  It looks like each offender had the book thrown at em.

18 minutes ago, KraTToR said:

Good point, the numbers don't add up. Unless..... multiple offenses going to one hunter.  It looks like each offender had the book thrown at em.

That probably includes the road blocks on Hwy 69 and 11 where they wave over anyone that looks like a moose hunter and check them if they still do that sort of thing.

1 hour ago, dave524 said:

That probably includes the road blocks on Hwy 69 and 11 where they wave over anyone that looks like a moose hunter and check them if they still do that sort of thing.

yep, I didn't think of that, that's probably the case

they do hit offenders harder with hunting infractions compared to the fishing stuff, a guy near my cottage got hit for 10k for duck hunting infractions by my local CO

It has been many years since my one and only moose hunt, but I clearly remember walking out to our trucks one evening in the middle of nowhere and the OPP were there to check us out.

Not sure exactly what their legal function is with regards to game law enforcement, didn't feel it was necessary to ask the question that night.

Maybe they are using the OPP to strengthen their ranks.

20 hours ago, dave524 said:

This is more than likely what happened. And a lot of those infractions are enforceable by police; I imagine it was joint effort between OPP and MNR. 

On ‎11‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 6:45 PM, spincast said:

sigh.........some of those charges are kinda waste - helmet infractions? ..but the poachers, i hope they make it really hurt, all too often the fines are a cost of doing business.

nThey may have had some help from the OPP. Why would any charges be a waste? Those fined for helmet infractions may have had prior warnings that go on the record. 

On 11/5/2018 at 3:44 AM, Old Ironmaker said:

nThey may have had some help from the OPP. Why would any charges be a waste? Those fined for helmet infractions may have had prior warnings that go on the record. 

They sure hit you with helmet infractions on Lake Simcoe when ice fishing. Past warnings or not. No lenience according to CO's.

36 minutes ago, jimmer said:

They sure hit you with helmet infractions on Lake Simcoe when ice fishing.

Yes they sure do!

Last winter while shuttling our group in from the hut on the quad; I somehow lost the spare helmet on the way out to pick up the last couple of guys. One guy jumped into the tag along sled behind the quad and the other got on the quad. We get stopped and the guy on the quad gets a ticket (can't remember how much); but the guy in the tag along was OK? I knew we were in the wrong; but can't understand why the guy in the sled was OK without a helmet??? Same as a lot of hut operators that shuttle their guests, in tow behind sleds. No one is required to wear a helmet and some of those old sleds are an accident waiting to happen? Can anyone explain?

Dan.

Get into an accident or fall off either a quad/snow machine, is no different then the same thing happening, with someone in a tow-able sled? I'm not complaining just don't understand the difference? So I guess everyone rides in the tow behind sled from now on and not have to worry about helmets?

Dan.

5 hours ago, DanD said:

Get into an accident or fall off either a quad/snow machine, is no different then the same thing happening, with someone in a tow-able sled? I'm not complaining just don't understand the difference? So I guess everyone rides in the tow behind sled from now on and not have to worry about helmets?

Dan.

The difference here is a very small business having to invest in helmets is a cost that they may not be able to afford. It is seen in business both small and large. A good example is school, public and private buses not requiring seat belts. It would be millions of $$ cost to an already struggling industry. Why does a company in Ontario not required to have a Health and Safety committee if there are less than 8 employees? Is having 7 employees safer than having 8? 

It's all about the mighty buck. 

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Direct from the government rules related to snowmobiling.

i didn’t even realize it was law. We have definitely been known to boot down the lake slowly to our hut on the sled without a helmet. I guess I’ll have to reconsider from now on.

Helmets

Drivers and passengers must always wear a snowmobile helmet that meets the standards approved for motorcycle helmets, with the chin strap securely fastened. Everyone who rides on a cutter, sled or similar device towed by a snowmobile must also wear a helmet

On 11/9/2018 at 5:09 PM, DanD said:

Yes they sure do!

Last winter while shuttling our group in from the hut on the quad; I somehow lost the spare helmet on the way out to pick up the last couple of guys. One guy jumped into the tag along sled behind the quad and the other got on the quad. We get stopped and the guy on the quad gets a ticket (can't remember how much); but the guy in the tag along was OK? I knew we were in the wrong; but can't understand why the guy in the sled was OK without a helmet??? Same as a lot of hut operators that shuttle their guests, in tow behind sleds. No one is required to wear a helmet and some of those old sleds are an accident waiting to happen? Can anyone explain?

Dan.

They give out tickets on Nipissing if people aren't wearing helmets in enclosed trailers.

On 11/4/2018 at 1:33 PM, DropShot'r said:

I clearly remember walking out to our trucks one evening in the middle of nowhere and the OPP were there to check us out.

Not sure exactly what their legal function is with regards to game law enforcement, didn't feel it was necessary to ask the question that night.

Maybe they are using the OPP to strengthen their ranks.

Actually all police officers in Ontario by defination are also conservation officers.

They can lay charges quite legally.