Winterize it, time to recognize it

AKRISONER

On 10/31/2018 at 5:49 PM, boombap said:

I've always wondered.. is fogging oil really necessary? I run seafoam every other tank and always use shell 91.

I don't think that there's any connection to Seafoam, Shell 91, and fogging.  Seafoam cleans out the engine and may stabilize the fuel as well.  Shell 91 is ethanol free; fogging is to prevent corrosion.

4 minutes ago, John Bacon said:

I don't think that there's any connection to Seafoam, Shell 91, and fogging.  Seafoam cleans out the engine and may stabilize the fuel as well.  Shell 91 is ethanol free; fogging is to prevent corrosion.

this was a big discussion on the bass boat central forums and multiple actual mechanics came forward to say that owners of outboards that did not fog the engines had brought in blown motors that died due to corrosion in the fuel and ignition systems. For the $8 cost of foggin spray and the $30 for some new plugs come spring...bring it on.

Im gonna baby my 98 yamaha until its dying breath...Ethanol free gas, periodic seafoam, full winterization, high end oil and plugs...lets see how long she goes. Shes been babied her whole life and will continue to be, if it means that my motor still turns over at below 0 with ease 20 years on with minimal smoke, im gonna keeo doing what im doing. 

A 98  Yamaha would be carburetor and you can fog pour oil in the gas kill every bug within 10 miles.

Any efi, opti or Yamaha's, with direct oil and gas injection you don't want to fog.

All these motors have  computers that make immediate adjustments to excess oil

and will lean your motor very quickly and then will not add oil quick enough to stop blow up.

I don't fog my opti.

There is an oldtimer out here that has a 17' Prince Craft that re rigged to a 115 4 stroke from a 90 Evinrude 2 stroke this spring. He bought the boat new in 2000 after his wife died. He has never once winterized the boat, not once. He is in his mid 70's now. Fishes solo 90% of the time.

I have seen the results of not fogging an engine.
Keep in mind that 2 strokes are lubricated through the intake port, through the lower crankcase, either by oil injection or oil mixed with the fuel.
This oil may not stay in place throughout the storage time and any moisture that is inside the crankcase may allow rust to develop on needle bearings, crankshaft surfaces and cylinder walls.
Fogging oil is designed to stick to these surfaces and protect them.
Yes, you may not notice the rust pits over a season or two, but eventually they can cause serious deterioration.
Shooting oil into cylinders can help rust formation above the top of the piston, but it does nothing to the moving parts below.
4 strokes are different as the lubrication is pumped from an oil pump sump to critical moving parts below the piston and not so apt to corrosion. But some protection above the piston and cylinder walls is still a good storage plan.
I can't afford to take a chance on not doing it, engines are far to expensive for me to replace.
My 2000 Evinrude  Etec has been flawless since new.

Edited by Bernie
  • Like 1