Winterize it, time to recognize it

AKRISONER

well..its that time of year. After some unforseen circumstances with my intended location of storing, I am stuck (although somewhat willingly because i can get my boat out of storage in march now to go fishing in the south carolina) using a navigloo to put the baby away for winter. I am also probably going to take some extra care and wrap the baby up in extra tarps around the trailer, jack up the trailer onto blocks to keep it off of the ground etc etc.

Its my first time winterizing a boat!

Bass Boat Central has a great guide on winterizing your boat. found here http://www.bassboatcentral.com/winterizing.htm

Ive got the fogging oil, the lower end oil, the marine fuel stabilizer, the premium ethanol free gas to top the tanks up, the marine oil to top that tank up as well. Im ready to pull all of the batteries out and store them on wood somewhere warm, and ive got some plumbing antifreeze to dump down the livewell drains and pumps.

One common theme of concern though that I keep coming across is moisture and mice. the last thing i need is some damn vermin chewing through my fibreglass. 

Does anyone have any tips for keeping the moisture and mice out? I have heard of "buckets of moisture manager" being placed inside the boat...what products are you using?

Ive also heard of using mothballs to keep mice away...but is it effective? Anyone have any tips?

28 minutes ago, AKRISONER said:

jack up the trailer onto blocks to keep it off of the ground etc etc.

Don't take all the weight off of the trailer's suspension; only about half. The leaf spring hanging all winter, could cause the springs to re-arch causing a very hard ride for the boat. If the tires are a concern being in the dirt; place a piece of plywood under them.

With the tarp you're going to wrap the boat in; it should be vented at the highest point. This will allow for air circulation and stop condensation from forming. You can buy vents made for shrink wrap that should work well with vinyl tarp?

Dan.

https://www.amazon.ca/Dr-Shrink-DS-683-Adhesive-Weather/dp/B003ZDMIR2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1541002957&sr=8-1&keywords=shrink+wrap+vents

Edited by DanD

As I recall when they shrink wrapped the boats at the marina they used this to provide ventilation.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/ADS-4-in-x-100-ft-Corrugated-Perforated-Pipe/50163593

wrap an old towel or rag around it were it makes contact with your gel coat.

Edited by OhioFisherman

16 minutes ago, OhioFisherman said:

wrap an old towel or rag around it were it makes contact with your gel coat.

And put a bug screen over the end that sticks out from under the tarp.

Otherwise it would act like the 401 hwy for the critters to get in. LOL

Dan.

I don't put anything in mine and haven't yet had any issues with animals.  Keeping my fingers crossed!

My neighbor has a $100K Ranger and he uses moth balls.  It stinks.  But the smell dissipates quickly once the tarp is off.

My sister has a trailer at a trailer park that is on Buckhorn Lake.  It's her summer get-away spot.  She puts tons of dryer sheets (i.e. Bounce) around the trailer when it is put away for the winter.  Rodents are a winter problem with camping trailers.  She said that is a common technique used at her park when people put their trailers away for the winter.  Myself ... I prefer the strong smell of many dryer sheets to that of moth balls.

I stored my boats, both aluminum & glass, in an old barn for 10 years that was full of mice & rats but I put a couple bowls full of mothballs in the boats and never had a problem with the critters.

Don't know if that would work outside though with raccoons and the like when they're looking for a winter home.

Forgot to add that it's not necessary to put the batteries on wood.

Edited by lew

I have used Bounce Sheets since I started storing my boat.  Got that from people that used them in their RV's.  I put them all throughout the Boat.  I have never had Mice - but no idea if the Bounce Sheets are actually doing anything.

However - my Dad's boat was next to mine in Storage - and he had mice in the Motor casing (because of the sound insulation).  No bounce sheets in his boat - so take it for what it is worth.

Winterizing in October?  What is this madness?  :)

I turn it sideways in the oldmans garage, add some bounce sheets, make sure both motors are down all the way and that's about it.  Also check the bottom ends for water on both (Haven't found any yet).   

40 minutes ago, BillM said:

Winterizing in October?  What is this madness?  :)

I turn it sideways in the oldmans garage, add some bounce sheets, make sure both motors are down all the way and that's about it.  Also check the bottom ends for water on both (Haven't found any yet).   

lol not quite yet, got some walleyes to catch for the next few weeks. But it may be time to at least start the work of doing the leg oil and getting everything else in order so that I can get it put away before our first big snowsquall event up there.

I've always wondered when adding stabil to your tank, how does it get mixed in with all the gas if you are not premixing?  If I'm filling up 70 liters of fuel, I usually add a bit of stabil beginning, middle and end of fill up. Run the boat and hope it all mixes in.  But I never really know if the stabil really mixes well with all the fuel. Anyone know?

I also store my boat in barn. Mothballs work well for me. I've had a few mouse poops in spring but like 5-10 total at one entry point. Seems like the mice come in and leave. I load my boat with moth balls in all hatches and spaces.

With my old engine...2006 optimax...I never fogged it.  Ran stabil at end of year...and put it away (after changing the lower unit oil).

It was stored in a shelter...etc.  

Never had a problem.  But that was only my experience.  Others may have had issues with a motor seizing....so it may come down to peace of mind.

My new ETEC has a self "fog"...injects more oil into the cylinder.  So I did that this year, since it is part of the motor anyway.

5 hours ago, captpierre said:

I remember hearing about mice building a nest in a box of Bounce sheets ???

Yup.  Pretty sure @Irishfield and @chris.brock both had mice build nests out of dryer sheets.  It may be better than nothing but it might be a good idea to wrap it up in a way that you can check on it periodically.

7 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

whats everyones take on emptying and then cracking open your storage compartments?

Im a little concerned that leaving them open just invites vermin in to make a house...but then at the same time...wide open maybe does make sense?

My boat sits outside all winter.  I empty all compartments and if they are dry I close them and that's that.  If I am going to uncover and fish the Niagara mid winter I throw my gear in a milk crate and a couple of life jackets in the boat.  All safety gear other than life jackets stays on board.

Edited by porkpie

I lived under that moth ball ,bounce sheet dream.

I buy mouse kill from TSC 16 small pouches of pellets.

16 small plastic containers from Dollar Tree and spread them

around interior of boat. Everyone will be empty come spring.

I pour plumbing antifreeze down the floor drain so any little bits

of water will give mice a bad belly.

This boat doesn't have any compartments with  moisture problem.

My old Sprint did. Unscented kitty litter kept it dry.  

On 11/3/2018 at 6:20 AM, Garnet said:

I lived under that moth ball ,bounce sheet dream.

I buy mouse kill from TSC 16 small pouches of pellets.

16 small plastic containers from Dollar Tree and spread them

around interior of boat. Everyone will be empty come spring.

I pour plumbing antifreeze down the floor drain so any little bits

of water will give mice a bad belly.

This boat doesn't have any compartments with  moisture problem.

My old Sprint did. Unscented kitty litter kept it dry.  

awesome tips, i like the plumbing antifreeze down the floor idea too just to incase theres a tiny pocket of moisture in the floor somewhere.