True is True. Don’t shoot the messenger ?

captpierre

11 hours ago, Sinker said:

Yeah, maybe, but a big bass is what.....5 or 6 lbs? Real fish eat them for lunch. I just can't see the point in fishing for a species of fish, where a big one is only 5lbs.  Seriously, whats the point? 

S. 

We'll let the perch, crappie, bluegill, etc. panfish crowd know they're wasting their time.

10 hours ago, porkpie said:

Your doing it wrong.

fished what is arguably the best salmon fishery in the world in the queen charlotte islands, caught a ridiculous amount of cohos, springs and even some halibut, sharks and rock fish to boot...give me topwater smallmouth fishing any day.

dont get me wrong, its fun...but trolling is still the most boring form of fishing...i guess it might be better than jigging walleye lol

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

fished what is arguably the best salmon fishery in the world in the queen charlotte islands, caught a ridiculous amount of cohos, springs and even some halibut, sharks and rock fish to boot...give me topwater smallmouth fishing any day.

dont get me wrong, its fun...but trolling is still the most boring form of fishing...i guess it might be better than jigging walleye lol

Agree 100%. I’ll take video game fishing (ice fishing with a flasher) over trolling any day. You catch less fish but if I can coax a fish into biting, the reward is that much sweeter. 

Any of you folks who don't like trolling need to try trolling for muskies with your rod mounted near the stern of the boat with only 4'- 5' of line out.

Not much gets the heart pounding better than a big ole musky hammering your bait within arms reach of where your sitting LOL

Only other thing better is a musky coming from under your boat and slamming you lure on a figure 8 right under your nose.

• Like 2

On 10/29/2018 at 11:55 AM, Sinker said:

Yeah, maybe, but a big bass is what.....5 or 6 lbs? Real fish eat them for lunch. I just can't see the point in fishing for a species of fish, where a big one is only 5lbs.  Seriously, whats the point? 

S. 

yeah 5lb specs are awful fish and no one should even bother fishing for them, lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think I tried for bass 2-3 times this year:w00t:. Word ya,ll.. I was more into targeting lakers. Looking for that Simcoe brute has become my mission. Simcoe smallies are a blast and fight like demons, but the sound of a reel screaming with a fish in the depths, I am all over that. As for pickeral. They are not searched for size or fight. They are searched for eats. I hear they are good eats. Me, they are lazy fish to search for. Have heard they were like catching perch this year on Erie.:tease:

9 hours ago, jerpears1 said:

Agree 100%. I’ll take video game fishing (ice fishing with a flasher) over trolling any day. You catch less fish but if I can coax a fish into biting, the reward is that much sweeter. 

You can take that flasher and well,,,,,,,,,,,,, LOL

Nothing like taking 20 minutes to set up, and catching fish the first few minutes. I think you know what I am talking about. No flasher required. LOL

15 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

It's different when you're the guy calling the shots and putting the game plan together.  If you're just along for the ride, then yeah.  

12 hours ago, misfish said:

I think I tried for bass 2-3 times this year:w00t:. Word ya,ll.. I was more into targeting lakers. Looking for that Simcoe brute has become my mission. Simcoe smallies are a blast and fight like demons, but the sound of a reel screaming with a fish in the depths, I am all over that. As for pickeral. They are not searched for size or fight. They are searched for eats. I hear they are good eats. Me, they are lazy fish to search for. Have heard they were like catching perch this year on Erie.:tease:

You can take that flasher and well,,,,,,,,,,,,, LOL

Nothing like taking 20 minutes to set up, and catching fish the first few minutes. I think you know what I am talking about. No flasher required. LOL

I have a rule, bass in the summer, lakers in the winter........... I'm not sure I catch much else to be honest. 

For those of us that don't have the signature 'B whistle' that practically calls fish out of the hole sometimes a flasher is all it takes to keep me from insanity. Before having it a few times I remember staring down a frozen hole with no bites in a few hours thinking 'what the %^&* am I doing?'

9 hours ago, Chuck Enwinde said:

It's different when you're the guy calling the shots and putting the game plan together.  If you're just along for the ride, then yeah.  

as is always when im in a boat, because i fish a lot, I am always involved in the decision making process.

On my uncles boat it was just the same, i made as many decisions as I wanted to make. When im trolling laketrout on Georgian bay with my old man i make 95% of the decisions. Im not hating on it, dont get me wrong its a good time, but to me it still pales in comparison. There were days in the charlottes where you couldnt get the riggers down through the coho to get at the springs, its good fun absolutely, but when you eliminate casting and feeling a bite, a lot of fishing is lost to me.

Ever caught a 4+lb big lake smallmouth on a walk the dog lure? Not a heck of a lot beats that.

I am not hating on salmon either they are insane. Best fight ive ever had was hooking salmon nymphing with a 5 wt in the credit. I literally had to run after the fish to stop it from spooling me.

Ever felt a 40+ inch musky hit your swimbait boatside? Not much compares to that.

Edited by AKRISONER

So this is a true story for you walleye guys out there.

When I was younger I had the joy of working in North West Ontario for a couple of summers. One day in Dryden a friend of a friend says 'we are going to our secret lake. You will catch more fish then you have in your life'. 

So we get to the spot, find the dropoff and mark it with a marker bouy and from that point on we were off to the races. In 45 minutes 4 of us each had our limit plus boated a few more. They all wanted to go home and go back to bed but I wanted to fish a little more. I begged them to stay a few more minutes and they said I could catch one more fish. 

So I cast my jig out and hook into one. I reel up, it runs down to the bottom, I reel up, it runs down to the bottom again. I get it close to the surface AND REALIZE I HOOKED INTO THE MARKER BOUY. ??. The guys say 'thanks Jer. We needed to retrieve that anyways.' and we promptly went home.

If I'm being honest, it was the best fight I had all day. ?? 

On 10/29/2018 at 11:16 PM, grimsbylander said:

We'll let the perch, crappie, bluegill, etc. panfish crowd know they're wasting their time.

Theres a time and place for everything.  I love fishing panfish in the spring. The problem with bass, FOR ME, is the season for everything else is open when they open.  I"m a musky guy. 61 musky graced my net this year so far. Why would I fish for cute little bass?? 

S. 

1 hour ago, Sinker said:

Theres a time and place for everything.  I love fishing panfish in the spring. The problem with bass, FOR ME, is the season for everything else is open when they open.  I"m a musky guy. 61 musky graced my net this year so far. Why would I fish for cute little bass?? 

S. 

Compared smoked musky and smoked bass..............well smoked bass taste like a$$

7 hours ago, Sinker said:

Its not even fair to compare specks with bass.........or any other fish! 

I'm just busting balls man :)   I've been fishing my butt off these past weeks and have boated exactly 1 muskie, lol!   Ah well.  Still fun!