Cleaning out built in gas tank

captpierre

Just reading about ethanol and phase separation in boat gas tanks. I’ve had  no problems and want to keep it that way. I’m guessing,  after 11 yrs, that I’ve got some water and gunk in the bottom if my Lund’s tank.  Should I get this checked? How and who would do this? I have a fuel “Reserve” setting that I can use if I run out of gas. It’s just a lower pickup in the gas tank. It’s more likely to pick up crap I’m guessing. Will stay away from using it. What say you Guys about a cleanout?

It might cost you, but after 11 years you'd be amazed what will come out of there.  I'm somewhat anal about keeping my jerry cans clean, otherwise crud may end up in any of the gas powered equipment.  Little chunks of plastic, little pieces of rubber probably from the nozzle O ring, etc.  Hopefully you have one of those big spin on in line filters.

Don't buy fuel with ethanol in it in the first place and avoid the costs and problems of doing so and like fisherman said if using cans you need to be anal about cleanliness, rotting o-rings, plastic breaking off the vent plug cap, etc.

That said, 12 seasons now with my Lund and over 1500 US gallons of fuel through the boat and I've never found as much as a drop of water in my Verados fuel/water separator canister.

47 minutes ago, captpierre said:

I want to put in an external fuel filter/water separator. I think it would be good to have one with a clear bottom to see what’s in your fuel. Good idea?

Yep, got one on my boat.

Never any water in the bowl until this summer.

Seems they can't handle the amount of water that gets in your tank when your boat sinks.  ???

I pulled the cover on my floor that is over the fuel sender, pulled the sender and used a pump to drain the tank.

Left it open so it could dry out and am running off my auxiliary tank until all is fixed up.