Rod and reel i use the most

Earl78723

I don't know about any one else but I do allot of pickerel fishing on the Bay of Quinte and the weapon of my choice is a Quick 222 real with my 7ft ugly stick...………..I know there old but they work  good. What do you use the most ?

I bass fish mostly. I have one rod and reel that come out for every trip. The reel has changed a few times over the last few years but the rod has been the same since I bought it.

Megabass Gen 1 Orochi XX Jerkbait Special with a Shimano Bantam MGL. I use it for spook style baits in the summer and used it all day yesterday for fall bass with jerkbaits.  

• Thanks 1

I haven't really been able to fish now for about 15 years but when I did it was mostly for bass here stateside. Usually in shallower water and around a lot of heavy cover, flipping and pitching small or light lures.

My main set up for that was a 7' 6" Falcon flipping stick that was set up for spinning gear, spinning rod eyes and handle, with a 70's era Abu 507 semi closed face spinning reel. I was using 17 - 20 pound test Stren original mono line and my lure weight was usually 3/16th ounce or less, most of the time 1/8th ounce or weightless. That reel would still cast those lures well with heavy line and never any line issues, also a great night fishing reel because of that.

Open water on Lake Erie smallie fishing? usually a 6'6" to 7 foot spinning reel with 8 - 10 pound test original Stren, the last reel remember was an Abu center drag and a mix of rods.

For casting spinner baits, cranks, and the like an Abu or Shimano bait caster, same for trolling. 

this is a tough one...I fish a lot of bass but i guess at the end of the day if Im talking about the rod that gets the most use its gonna be my dropshot set up because no matter what, theres always a drop shot rigged up on my casting deck, even when the bite is hot topwater or jerkbait or whatever you wanna throw, when i get a miss or mark a fish on the graph the drop shot gets tossed out.

Then in the fall for pickerel i pretty much only use a drop shot rod...i throw the odd crankbait for some weird local patterns ive figured out but thats like 1-100th of the time i spend fishing eyes in the fall, the rest ive got a drop shot rod in my hands. Fall walleye is the only time i use live bait, but thats because its too damn fun, last outing between me and my buddy we caught 30+ walleye in 2 hours.

Loomis DSR (cant remember the model) paired up with a stradic Ci4+ strung with 16lb Power Pro with a 8lb FC sniper leader, circle hook and a tungsten weight...that bloody thing catches anything under the sun.

Edited by AKRISONER

1 hour ago, dave524 said:

For the next 6 months it will be a Loomis 13 foot IM6 and a 2nd Generation Smith and Smith centrepin,  it's loaded with  green 10lb Trilene XT.

What a beauty rod, I've got mine paired up with a Frogwater.   I love that thing.  Also have an original IMX paired up with a Paine Falls DeMarco.    Got a bottom section of a IM6 sitting on my shelf, trying to find a top section for it is like looking for a needle in a hay stack.

The bottom line with all this  IMO, no matter your gear, fancy and all, big named, over priced, you are enjoying the sport of fishing and catching with what you own. Dont get caught up in the hype of fancy gear.  I have low/mid level stuff I have been using for years.  I catch. :canadian:

Bill, did you know my god father is a DeMarco ? Yet, I do not have one of his spools. LOL

Edited by misfish
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

You givin us flack cause I don’t wanna get sucked into the American Walleye crapola lol

im from northern Manitoba where Americans and people from ontario call pickerel Walleye and jack fish pike lol

No flak at all. Praise for using the correct term. LOL

7 foot Fenwick HMX paired with shimano 2500 ci4 is my main stick for anything from bass to pickerel.

8'6 St. Croix heavy with a Shimano chronarch 7:1 gear ratio for the bigger baits.  Some say the chronarch is too lite and I should up it to a round-reel but I just like the feel of it and the storm trooper never let me down.