Fall Cottage Life Show disappointing

captpierre

15 minutes ago, Fisherman said:

Only for millionaires, hard enough to pay seasonal camp fees never mind land tax, hydro, jump through the hoop sanitation rules etc.  I think it would wiser to rent for a week or two per year and scratch the itch.

LOL,and some of those places that are great " in season " aren't so great to own out of season?

17 minutes ago, Fisherman said:

Only for millionaires, hard enough to pay seasonal camp fees never mind land tax, hydro, jump through the hoop sanitation rules etc.  I think it would wiser to rent for a week or two per year and scratch the itch.

I hear you but not sure I agree. We’ve had our cottage now for 6 yrs. It’s been great for our family and now the grandkids.  It cost a pile of money but fortunately has appreciated by 50% since purchase. We spend most of our weekend and holiday time there. We rent it to people we know  3 weeks per year which pays most expenses. I live frugally otherwise. Been a good thing 

On 10/21/2018 at 7:51 PM, Fisherman said:

lots of water front properties still go for ~300k. No need to be a millionaire; which really isn't that big of a deal anymore since every regular house in the GTA is north of 1 million now anyways. 

2 hours ago, pics said:

I had an off-grid cottage for 5 years and I enjoyed the spring show but we sold it and never went back.. It seemed to cater to a market that was way above our budget.. 

A lot of expensive clothes and Gucci bags walking around for sure. Different crowd than Sportsman show 

On October 21, 2018 at 7:51 PM, Fisherman said:

Not nessecarilly.  Sure, I couldn't afford to buy our family cottage.  It was bought on prime land not to far from the GTA 40 plus years ago.  It's worth a lot now.  I've looked around, there are still affordable places if you are willing to travel a bit more or buy a water access or don't mind being on a river accessing a lake etc.  But there are definately some cash barriers for premium property's or popular locations, especially for someone paying a millions bucks for their principle residence as well.

a friend of mine bought a 4 acre property near Wilberforce for 16K … not on water but there is a lake with a public boat launch just down the road and  lots of other lakes close by .. helped him clear some land and put up storage shed/bunkie and the road is publicly maintained

plans to sell house in GTA in a few years and is already planning to build a small house to retire