Rapala fishing rods

Rattletrap2

I was watching Angler & Hunter TV this morning and Mike Miller is always using these Rapala R-Type rods (I know, it helps if you are sponsored by them). I don't recall ever seeing them for sale in a store. My only experience with Rapala rods was about 10 years ago and although they were cheaper versions, they were crap. They would snap like nothing

Does anyone have any experience with these R-Type versions? The Rapala website lists them for $189.00, so i would be reluctant due to past experience, but they may be much improved now?

Also, who sells them? It looks like Cabelas and CTC did, but have discontinued them.

Thanks

Hey  MR.B

If am not mistaken, the R-TYPE has been discontinued. I can personally say I was happy with their ice rod models, til they started breaking at the tips. I got a replacement last season ans it broke at the tip again. Im sure there is a reason they discontinued them.

Owned 2 Rapala rods, one spinning and one casting.  Both snapped.  Not r types, one was a mid range line and one was a north coast series.  I do have a wire dipsy rod by rapala that's taken many savage hits and made out ok so far.  Only other rods I've had break for no apparent reason are fenwicks.  I'm reluctant to buy either brand of rod for the most part.  Again, not rtypes but a couple of my friends have had similar results with rapala rods. IMO, they should stick to lures.

Last year Canadian tire had a clearance. I bought couple. I am very happy with them - sensitive and light. I dont think they worth $199 originally, but i got them pretty cheap. Also i have r-type centerpin. In my opinion it's great.

I still have an R-Type baitcast rod. No issues, but like Cosmos said, probably not worth the original list price. Some independent shops still have them around, but have been discontinued at large retailers.  From what i have heard, they are streamlining all of their rod and reel lines. 

love their walleye series spinning rods though. super sensitive and great backbone. 

I've got the Rapala Concept ti 13' float rod that I bought at Sail for only $125. Except that it is a 3 piece unit I like it. At Sail yesterday it was $350 so it appears there's LOTS of wiggle room in the pricing from Rapala. The Concept Ti Bass rods also seem really nice but I have never used one. Again list price was $350 but I saw them for as little as $150. All the other Rapala offerings seemed a little clunky to me . I also have a Rapala float reel and it's ok too