Ever have one of those moments?????????

misfish

Your float goes down,set the hook and there is some serious weight on the end. At first I thought maybe a late run salmon. Then I see some flash. OH YA,big steel head. I'm all giddy up and playing this fish as it was the trophy fish. 10 minutes of a great battle,I get to see what was on the end of the line. Not a salmon, not a steel head, but this gorgeous colorful fish from the carp family. I have only caught 1 of these before many years ago. I believe they are red horse ????

These fish are so powerful.

Anyways, that was one of my moments of this morning.  The other was, first drift,steel head on. When that happens, I know there aint anymore. LOL

LPmNGZN.jpg?1

• Like 1

I've caught quite a few incidentals in the past few years. Some hit and I'm thinking PB bass! then I get them to the boat and am disappointed. Others hit, and I know it isn't a bass.

Examples:

This year while drop shotting in 30 FOW and while eating lunch. The rod buckles and I set the hook. I'm thinking this is at least a 5lb smallie! My adrenaline is pumping and  I'm playing this fish like no tomorrow. It's a 5lber alright. But it was a laker...

Fishing chatterbiats mid season on a 3-5 foot flat. Set the hook and I'm stoked! This thing feels great! Get it to the boat and it's a 4lb walleye. Not 15 minutes later, I caught another one and went through the same emotions.

Fishing a wacky rig on 20lb test braid in 10fow mid September a few years ago. I feel a tap and set the hook. I immediately know that was a mistake. after a 15-20 minute battle, I land a 44:" musky...  

Fishing muskrat dropshotting for smallies in 20FOW. Feel a tap and set the hook. nothing happens for a second and then the drag just starts peeling. Another 15 minute fight. Land a 48" sturgeon. That has got to be the most interesting one I think I have ever caught.

10 minutes ago, PUMP KNOWS said:

Nice catch.  How big was it?

I know white suckers barely fight.

Hard to tell by the photo, but I am guessing 8-10lb. That is a dime size roe bag. It was very thick. I do know it,s not a white sucker. I believe Mikey caught one of these a few years back.

56 minutes ago, Mike Pike said:

And that's darn nice photo you took Misfish.  Looks like a magazine shot for an article titled; "Freshwater Bonefish."

Sounds like you had a good battle on your hands and that's what it's all about!!

46 minutes ago, grimsbylander said:

Very nice! Right in the schnout! 

That's actually a super cool catch Brian. Isn't that the neatest part about fishing anyway? Seeing what smacked your bait? 

You both nailed it. Whats on the end. I was not at all disappointed, but was like, ya, this is so cool. Never know eh.

Edited by misfish

13 minutes ago, misfish said:

Might of been Jimmer,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:Gonefishing:

I was trying to remember where I had hooked into one, it was so many years ago.  It's been years since I fished over in that area.

Edited by jimmer

Fishing the Pine River's locally famous Tioga Hole, first or second drift, BAM!!  I have a serious fish on.  The other guys pulled their lines to let me have some room for the tussle.  Up and down the pool, bull-dogging , and finally......up came a carp!!!  Yes, until I saw what it was I was really pumped, thinking big steelhead...........and then yes, disappointed that it was "ONLY" a carp.  But it had given me an epic run, on light line and a noodle rod, and looking back I should have been much more thnakful for that.

There was a German couple who owned the gas station in Lisle, where I lived, and they had said to me that if ever I caught a carp, they would be very pleased to have it.  So I kept that fish, cleaned it, and took it to them.  They could not have been more happy - they thanked me profusely, and many times afterwards again thanked me for the carp.

Silver lining.....................instead of silver fish.

Doug

Cast out a tube, feel a bump and set the hook, the rod doubles and the drag starts going, LOL and me following in the boat, it ain't no bass! The choices of really big fish here are a lot narrower usually, carp or catfish, that one turned out to be about a 35 pound carp. A few minutes later my buddy, also casting a tube hooks up with a really big one, just guessing at near 60 pounds, had to follow that one a lot farther on spinning gear and light line.

Feel a bump, set the hook, and then have 40+ inches of mad muskie flying in the air alongside the boat? and it wasn't my hookset that got it out of the water!

Cast out a jig and craw, feel a bump, set the hook, it ain't no bass! around 20 pounds of sheephead!

Shiner fishing at a private pond, got my 8 inch chub on and just letting it swim around a look for trouble, it found it! Nothing but bass and bluegill in that pond and that bass was big, never landed it and never had another fight like it.

Some good stories guys. Fun read.

Doug, when I first moved to Barrie, I started fishing down from the iron bridge. I would walk all the way down to the boarder line.  That was a nice hole and really never seen anyone most of the times. Well except a mama bear one time. I offered up a salmon so she would let me live to fish another day.

3 hours ago, SirCranksalot said:

So, did you smoke it, or was it too hard to lite??

Hey Harold. I met another one of yer buddies this week. He says you are full of fish stories.  LOL

Great Topic!!

When my son was 4 , we fished a well known community hole on the Notty , I drifted with my centre pin , and the boy was set up with a dead sticked 7 ' light rod for those scrappy 1-2 lb fall rainbows . Simple split shot and roe bag and forked stick stuck in the sand , his eyes were absolutely glued to the rod tip for any twitch or bounce.   A couple bounces and a few twitches later ... the kid had tied into what i believed to be a Salmon . I wrapped my arms around him and helped him with the rod and the reeling process , as many fathers have done with their kids . I'll never forget the sound of that  Stradic screaming and the the glimmer of the giant rainbow as it broke the water .  

We landed that giant bow together , he still talks about it to this day ! I've yet to tell him that was the biggest Bow I'd ever been part of catching on that river , he'd chirp the crap outta me lol.  Definitely an unexpected catch !!!!

dirty dirty sheephead....the ol freshwater drum has got my heart pounding a few times. Have also caught a few musky trolling that got themselves all tangled up....come in sideways. 36 inch musky coming in sideways with a 40 k wind pushing your boat away from it feels like a new world record

Over the years, I've had many of these moments, the most recent was on the Bay of Quinte during bass opener. I was flipping an Ultra Tungsten Arky Jig, saw my line jump and set hook as hard as I could.  I thought that it felt a little heavy for a bass but I was optimistic alas a giant sheepshead destroyed my visions of a winning Largemouth Bass LOL!

2018 Sheepshead-BoQ-180616-001.jpg