Is your boat ready for Winter?

irishfield

'Tis the season... at least check your lower units for water by simply removing the lower plug and seeing what comes out first. Oil you're good, water.. well no!

Both of my engines upper and lower oils changed, plus fuel and oil filters on the Verado, and the live well and power wash pumps anti-freezed and capped. 

Ready for the Musky season if I find the time...

You should have already had some stabilizer in your fuel on the last boat ride, but if not add some to the tank at least for storage.

lundwinterization2018 011.JPG

lundwinterization2018 008.JPG

lundwinterization2018 010.JPG

livewellwinterize 003.jpg

livewellwinterize 009.jpg

Looks like 2 out of 3 missed my point! I'm not done either, I generally fish even after I have to take the plow truck to the boat ramp and plow it myself. I always do the oil BEFORE we have freezing weather, as it will only take one good cold night to crack that lower unit if you have water in it!

.. and CPH, the boat just makes me look good. She's got 10 full summers sitting in the water, as we missed two summers chasing Jen around.

dec72009snowplowramp 005.jpg

dec82009muskiehunt 001.jpg

Edited by irishfield

37 minutes ago, irishfield said:

Looks like 2 out of 3 missed my point! I'm not done either, I generally fish even after I have to take the plow truck to the boat ramp and plow it myself. I always do the oil BEFORE we have freezing weather, as it will only take one good cold night to crack that lower unit if you have water in it!

.. and CPH, the boat just makes me look good. She's got 10 full summers sitting in the water, as we missed two summers chasing Jen around.

dec72009snowplowramp 005.jpg

dec82009muskiehunt 001.jpg

???

22450160_2163091673717160_12980635835174

If you were paying attention possibly. Blow a shaft seal or have a loose vent screw / gasket and water being heavier goes in and oil comes out. I did a ladies 15 HP merc on the island next door before she went home this Fall and her entire lower unit was full of water... zero oil. Dropped it at the marina for her so they can pressure test and re and re seals as I had no time for it.

Edited by irishfield

I do all the oils now Roger and then Musky fish. Bonus is that when you finally winter store everything is coated in clean oil.. not the full seasons used.

Quick check for water on final bed'y bye! 2 minutes to pop the lower screw and put it back in. Oil will barely drip out while water will flow with the upper vent screw still in place.

Thanks for the larfs Joe!! I came prepared that year to drop in on you BOQ guys!! How you guys slept there is beyond me.

Man I had some pounds on me then, dropping the Pepsi from my diet took car of that, now steady at 185lbs. Think I was 225 there...

• Like 1