NF Hunting Regs Question

iFish4real

Hi,
This is a question that seems to be in the gray area. From my understanding of the regs on the matter, I believe it would be lawful to carry a rifle for hunting moose and a shotgun for hunting grouse during the rifle moose season in Ontario but I'm curious what other people think or if anybody had this question answered by the ministry.
The regs state that only during the bow season it's illegal to carry a rifle or a shotgun.

Thanks!

ScreenShbmpot291.

Firearms Big game, including moose, may only be hunted with a firearm (this includes bows). When hunting moose, you may only use or carry a firearm of the type (rifle, shotgun, bow or muzzle-loading gun) permitted for hunting moose at that time in that Wildlife Management Unit (WMU). For example, when hunting moose during a bows-only season, you may use or carry only bow hunting equipment; you may not carry a rifle or shotgun for hunting other species. Specifications on the firearms, bows, bolts and arrows that are permitted when hunting moose are found on page 24.

Edited by BUSTER

Do you mean carry both at the same time ? There is no problem carrying a shotgun for grouse during the rifle moose season,  if you don't have a valid moose licence number 2 or smaller shot or nothing bigger than a 22 rimfire without a big game tag,  same thing during a rifle deer season no buckshot or centrefire rifles afield without  a tag

6 minutes ago, dave524 said:

Do you mean carry both at the same time ? There is no problem carrying a shotgun for grouse during the rifle moose season,  if you don't have a valid moose licence number 2 or smaller shot or nothing bigger than a 22 rimfire without a big game tag,  same thing during a rifle deer season no buckshot or centrefire rifles afield without  a tag

Yes, I mean carring them both in the same time while having a moose license and a small game license, being able to shoot a moose if you see it and shoot grouse if you seen some...

Edited by iFish4real

I have a buddy that bought a high powered pellet pistol.  He carries that while moose hunting, because it's basically silent.  And he can pound grouse from a decent distance with it. 

However it might be totally illegal.  Not sure.  Just throwing that out there.   Might be an option for you. 

50 minutes ago, Rod Caster said:

I question that during deer bow season, could I carry a bow (for deer) and a riffle (for bear) since I have my bear license and the seasons overlap? Not that I'd want to do this since it make for awkward walking.

The regs are pretty clear on that being illegal if only bow season for deer is open.

Firearms for deer

Big game, including deer, may only be hunted with a firearm (this includes bows). When hunting deer, you may use or carry a firearm of the type permitted for hunting deer at that time in that Wildlife Management Unit (WMU). For example, when hunting deer during a bows-only season, you may use or carry only bow hunting equipment; you may not carry a rifle or shotgun for hunting other species.

Firearms for bear

Big game, including black bears, may only be hunted with a firearm (this includes bows). If you are hunting deer or moose at the same time you are hunting black bears, you may only use or carry (on your person, in a vehicle or boat) a firearm of the type permitted for deer or moose, as the case may be, at that time in that Wildlife Management Unit (WMU).

Edited by iFish4real

So, after reading the regs for moose and small game I actually concluded that it doesn't say anywhere in the regs that you're not allowed to carry a rifle for moose and a shotgun for grouse and hunt both in the same time if both seasons are open.

Anybody has a different understanding than me?

Firearms for moose

Big game, including moose, may only be hunted with a firearm (this includes bows). When hunting moose, you may only use or carry a firearm of the type (rifle, shotgun, bow or muzzle-loading gun) permitted for hunting moose at that time in that Wildlife Management Unit (WMU). For example, when hunting moose during a bows-only season, you may use or carry only bow hunting equipment; you may not carry a rifle or shotgun for hunting other species.

Firearms for small game

If you are hunting small game in an area where there is an open season for deer, moose, elk, or black bear, you may not possess or use a rifle of greater muzzle energy than 400 foot-pounds or shells loaded with ball or with shot larger than No. 2 shot (non-toxic equivalents include steel shot larger than triple BBB, or bismuth larger than double BB), unless you possess a valid licence to hunt deer, moose, elk or black bear as the case may be.

Edited by iFish4real

Its always been my understanding that you can carry a rifle and a shotgun at the same time during The Moose or Deer hunt.    Mind you that is MY understanding lol

Ive seen these here..   im pretty sure they are fine... lotta pilots use em for survival rifles cause the break down.

I want one of these.. soooooo bad....   great 410 for birds..  (and with a couple drinks i bet i can get that accent down pat too!!)

49 minutes ago, TJQ said:

Ive seen these here..   im pretty sure they are fine... lotta pilots use em for survival rifles cause the break down.

I want one of these.. soooooo bad....   great 410 for birds..  (and with a couple drinks i bet i can get that accent down pat too!!)

I guess you would need to plug some chambers to hunt in shot gun mode.  

The Rossi Circuit Judge is a RESTRICTED firearm and may NEVER be used for hunting anywhere in Canada.

It is perfectly legal to carry both a shotgun and a rifle during the rifle season for moose, and if you shoot grouse with either of them you need to have a small game licence AND the season must be open where you are for both species.

If the pellet pistol has a speed of more than 500 fps, it is a firearm.  And if it is a pistol AND a firearm, it is illegal to hunt with it anywhere in Canada because it is a restricted firearm.

and back to RodCaster, carrying a RIFLE during bow season for deer is not legal, even if you have a bear licence and the season is open for bear.  THAT question I posed to a regional MNR Enforcement guy and it was an unequivocal answer.  You are either bow-hunting for deer, or you are gun hunting for bear, end of discussion.

YMOYMV.  But I do this stuff a lot.

Doug

PS)  I did own a Rossi Circuit Judge and YES it is RESTRICTED.

Why would it be restricted??    5 round center fire cartridge with the 410 or bullet??  thats legal i think??   Just wondering.. lol.. bummer.. i really wanted one.  Ill have to ask my local gun shop... they said i could get one no problem.. just a special order.

There is zero logic to the restricted designation for the Rossi Circuit Judge, just the usual Bull from the RCMP "EXPERTS" at the Registry in Oddawa.  I was told by the gun shop who sold it that the Registry figured it could easily be cut down and then would be a revolver.  Which of course is true for all long guns, all of them could be cut down to be fired like a handgun.  Anyways when I got that one it was a Restricted firearm, and I am sure that it still is.

Doug

13 hours ago, akaShag said:

There is zero logic to the restricted designation for the Rossi Circuit Judge, just the usual Bull from the RCMP "EXPERTS" at the Registry in Oddawa.  I was told by the gun shop who sold it that the Registry figured it could easily be cut down and then would be a revolver.  Which of course is true for all long guns, all of them could be cut down to be fired like a handgun.  Anyways when I got that one it was a Restricted firearm, and I am sure that it still is.

Doug

Makes no sense, Thompson Center Contender carbines, built on a handgun action,  can easily be configured back to handguns with over the counter non restricted parts, yet they are non restricted when sold as long guns like the Rossi Circuit Judge.

edit : the insanity is that I can take my restricted Contender pistol and replace the barrel with a factory rifle length barrel and the pistol grip with a full buttstock making it identical to the non restricted factory rifles , BUT , it is still , in the eyes of the law , it is still restricted and can't take it hunting because the serial number is registered as a pistol, insert wallbash emoticon here. 

Edited by dave524

Surprisingly nowadays you can talk to MNR on their Facebook page so, I messaged them about this and also about how the forest logging roads are viewed in relation to the road firearm discharge regulations.

Here are the answers I got:

1. Yes, if a person is hunting moose during a season that allows them to carry and use a rifle they may also carry and use a shotgun to hunt grouse.

2. The purpose of the road (i.e., “forest logging road”) is not a factor in where this regulation applies. If the road is accessible by the public for vehicular traffic, and it is being maintained for this use, then the regulation applies. Because this is a public safety rule, hunters are strongly encouraged to take a cautious approach to applying the rule – if in doubt treat the road (and right of way) as if the rule applies.

Hope is helps other hunters and hope everybody has a good and safe season.