unintentional foul hooking fish

huzzsaba

For the first time I gave river fishing a try last week.  I basically fished like the others in  deep pool, keeping the hook off the bottom with a roe bag.  just cast out and let it sit until get a hit. there were lots of salmon there and had 2 hits both which came off (pretty sure they hooked themselves in the side).  the other fishermen (regulars to the same spot for many years) hooked into 2 as well and brought them in, both were hooked in the side.  One was released right away and the other given away to an interested couple who just happened to be there at the time.

Not sure what the ruling is for if the fish is foul hooked by accident (not deliberately snagged) .  can they be kept? or given away?  I know port hope is next level craziness lol, but last month I saw the guy next to me bring in 3 fish all hooked in the side, and they were all kept.

I tried to look up the rule but was not able to find it.

thanks in advance.

Edited by huzzsaba

https://files.ontario.ca/environment-and-energy/fishing/2016/2016_Licence_Information_and_Fees_English.pdf

"

Catch a fish by impaling or snagging it with a hook through any
part of the body other than the mouth – any fish hooked in this
way must be released immediately. "

Just from what I have seen here in Ohio during the spring walleye run in the rivers? If your walleye isn't  hooked in the mouth? You better  release it, the guy fishing next to you may be a game warden  and you will be cited for snagging.

3 hours ago, BillM said:

That's called flossing.   And no you cannot keep the fish.

Actually, a flossed fish is legal as long as its hooked in the mouth.  Although, flossins is frowned on, it would be too difficult to enforce a law that attempted to separate fish that were flossed versus fish that bit a lure or bait.  But, hooking it in the body is called snagging; not flossing.

18 minutes ago, John Bacon said:

Actually, a flossed fish is legal as long as its hooked in the mouth.  Although, flossins is frowned on, it would be too difficult to enforce a law that attempted to separate fish that were flossed versus fish that bit a lure or bait.  But, hooking it in the body is called snagging; not flossing.

My definition of snagging, is finishing up your drift with a little bit of a hookset.   Flossing is tossing your rig out there waiting for something to swim into it.  Mouth, tail, ass, whatever.   To me it doesn't matter where it's hooked.  Still flossing.

45 minutes ago, John Bacon said:

Correct by definition.

4 hours ago, BillM said:

Flossing is tossing your rig out there waiting for something to swim into it.  Mouth, tail, ass, whatever.

No, flossing is specifically getting the fishing line in the fish's mouth.

Think of flossing your teeth.  The floss goes in one side of your mouth and out the other.  That's where the name comes from.  If the fish swims into your line and ends up with the line going in one side of its mouth and out the other, then the fish has been flossed.

Any attempt to hook a fish somewhere other than their mouth is snagging regardless of actual technique.   

Chinook salmon hooked in the mouth in a river aren't much fun.  Hooked in the side or tail they are nothing but a pain in the can.  My advice is to buy cheap hooks and break off snagged fish.  It's easy enough to line em in the mouth in those shallow troughs at port hope if that's your thing, no reason to snag em, and your back and arms will thank you at the end of the day!

Edited by porkpie