Catch and release fishing makes it harder for released fish to eat

farsider

Look at how tough the fishing is on many Ontario lakes and ponder, if it wasn't for the widely accepted catch and release principles being applied over the last 30+ years, there'd be no fish to keep. 

Nothing to see here accept some no-name science dude trying to make a name for himself. Catch and Release WORKS. Hunting is proof of that...not one duck I ever shot ever had trouble eating again.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, grimsbylander said:

Look at how tough the fishing is on many Ontario lakes and ponder, if it wasn't for the widely accepted catch and release principles being applied over the last 30+ years, there'd be no fish to keep. 

Nothing to see here accept some no-name science dude trying to make a name for himself. Catch and Release WORKS. Hunting is proof of that...not one duck I ever shot ever had trouble eating again.

Exactly, I have some issues with some aspects of tournament fishing, and I haven't really been able to fish for nearly 15 years, but bass fishing here in Ohio got a heck of a lot better once they stopped keeping so many of them. I would much rather see catch and release than buckets or stringers of dead fish.

8 minutes ago, OhioFisherman said:

Exactly, I have some issues with some aspects of tournament fishing, and I haven't really been able to fish for nearly 15 years, but bass fishing here in Ohio got a heck of a lot better once they stopped keeping so many of them. I would much rather see catch and release than buckets or stringers of dead fish.

I was going to say the same thing but didn't want to go there. I hear guys whining that x amount of fish died in a bass tournament and wonder what the heck do they think tournament guys would be doing if there wasn't tournaments??? Wood carvings?? Focusing fisherman away from catch and keep and into competitive live release tournament did the fish populations a favour. Send 200 guys out fishing for fun from 7am to 3pm and tell me only 15, heck 50 fish died...I'd wonder if half of them forgot their rods. It's just come down to odds of survival...I'd rather get caught by Dave Chong vs a casual weekend fisherman. LOL Plus I might get a boat ride, a free check up and weight, and if I'm fat enough, a trip on stage and a photo shoot!! :rofl2:

• Haha 1

always been a believer that if we are doing our utmost at all times then thats all one can ask us for aside from asking us to stop fishing altogether...always a great idea because the best stewards of the water are people that live downtown and never see the lake to begin with unless its from a yacht lol

Now dont get me wrong, I see a lot of bullcrap on the lake too, unfortunately  and I am not trying to be judgemental but every time ive seen Bull done while fishing its been from folks from the catch and keep generation...Once again, I will point out i am not singling out a "generation" because itd be my generation that would run a friggin jetski through 3 feet of water at full speed right over a pile of largemouth beds (ive seenthat done too)

biggest one is guys using stringers as livewells...

Two weekends ago i was fly fishing for salmon and we were walking out and buddy yells at me and jake from the bridge "Any salmon in there?"

Jake "I dont know"

Idiot "is this the Blank River"

Jake "I dont know"

Idiot to his idiot friend "Oh theres one! see it swimming, they probably didnt catch em because you need to floss em:"

but then the next one is guys targeting musky using bass gear, and then proceeding to not have any of the required equipment to appropriately manage those fish i.e. a proper musky net, a set of bolt cutters, jaw spreaders etc etc. 

anyways this concludes my rant about the amount of trash I see happen on our waterways from "fishermen"

Edited by AKRISONER

1 hour ago, Garnet said:

Most tournaments have went to non piercing cull clips.

As usual something that started here in Ontario.  

That was a good idea, never used cull clips, but I wasn't fishing for the kind of money the big time pros are, one hook a day seemed enough stress to me, why poke another hole?

Lets keep this as a discussion of what we know on the subject. If it gets personal or political I will lock it up. The O.P. has been a member since 2008 so I will give him the benefit of the doubt on this being a PETA spam. 

Thank you 

Art

"

The salmon run is the time when salmon, which have migrated from the ocean, swim to the upper reaches of rivers where they spawn on gravel beds. After spawning, all Pacific salmon and most Atlantic salmon die, and the salmon life cycle starts over again. ... When they have matured, they return to the rivers to spawn.

Salmon run - Wikipedia

Seems nice to see people release fish to spawn that are going to die anyway?

I've caught the same pike back to back many a time - on spinners, and just about every other presentation  with or without barb. Before someone took him, I had a spot on a local river I could hit every couple of weeks and the same gator would slam the presentation. If you have ever stuck a fin in your finger / hand from a walleye, or catfish you know how silly this proposition is. Fish eat other fish, whose primary defenses to stick their spines out. At the end of the day, it is easy to make a hypothesis and defend it with a study. It doesn't mean it is correct. It just means the information presented defended the proposition. 

I believe some people call that fake news,,,,,,,,,