Fall/Winter Steelhead

Eazy

Hi all, I know the most popular way it seems for people to fish for steelhead is to run the float on either a centre-pin or spinning setup, but for me I would much rather swinging a spoon or spinner thru a boulder strewn tail-out and practically getting a rod ripped out of my hands.....something addicting about that!

My spoons of choice are the Canadian made Len Thompsons (have not found a color that doesn't work), and as far as spinners go, I'd have to say it's the Bluefox Vibrax #3 or #4 depending on depth.

Just curious if there are any fellow anglers who prefer this method of angling for steelhead compared to the traditional float method?

8 minutes ago, mitch seguin said:

I still run my pin most times; however, I always bring along my spinning outfit as on several occasions that's was what was working.  Just like golfing.........one rod is not the sole solution.

Me as well. Been doing it the past 3-4 years. I also bring a back pack, that way I do not forget the rod. Cant forget 2 things. LOL

I toss mostly wigglers, and flat fish. Thanks to Mikey.

Edited by misfish

Most of the waters I fish don't have a heavy enough flow to effectively fish a spoon but when fish are aggressive quartering a spinner, flatfish or Kwikfish downstream  is quite the change from the normally subtle take when float fishing.  

Yep, one of my favourite methods too. Not always the most productive but I like it nonetheless. Love zinging those spoons way out there and drifting them downstream. I think it’s the hits that are so addictive. Anyway, Len Thompson spoons in orange and gold size 00 are my go-to. Just picked up a new Shimano Stradic 4000 this season too, solid and smooth reel for chucking spoons. 

In addition to all of the above I love going to a "back bounce" approach to steelheading (salmon as well). Backbouncing involves working from a spot on shore or in a boat positioned upstream from the target area. Weight such as split shot or pencil lead is applied to the line well up from the chosen bait on a 3 way swivel and this rig is then cast out downstream toward the far shore. The weight gets the bait to sink and then the current will provide the energy to work the lure as though it is being retrieved but the bait is in fact swinging in an ark across the river.

I started using kwikfish, flatfish and hotshots for this technique but now I use these baits first and then move to diving crankbaits like CC Shads, Wiggle Warts, Flat Warts and deep diving Bomber Flat A's as the fish dive deeper. Nothing gets salmonoids to hit harder than this technique because it is essentially a method of enraging fish by invading their space by sticking a bright, loud reaction bait right in their face.  The Saugeen, Niagara and Grand River are my favorite locations for this technique but i remember that the Catt in NY State was another good spot to back bounce.

10 minutes ago, Snidley said:

In addition to all of the above I love going to a "back bounce" approach to steelheading (salmon as well). Backbouncing involves working from a spot on shore or in a boat positioned upstream from the target area. Weight such as split shot or pencil lead is applied to the line well up from the chosen bait on a 3 way swivel and this rig is then cast out downstream toward the far shore. The weight gets the bait to sink and then the current will provide the energy to work the lure as though it is being retrieved but the bait is in fact swinging in an ark across the river.

I started using kwikfish, flatfish and hotshots for this technique but now I use these baits first and then move to diving crankbaits like CC Shads, Wiggle Warts, Flat Warts and deep diving Bomber Flat A's as the fish dive deeper. Nothing gets salmonoids to hit harder than this technique because it is essentially a method of enraging fish by invading their space by sticking a bright, loud reaction bait right in their face.  The Saugeen, Niagara and Grand River are my favorite locations for this technique but i remember that the Catt in NY State was another good spot to back bounce.

Thanks for the info!