happy Thanksgiving

ketchenany

To all OFC members and their family. We are celebrating today.

Kids and lots of grands today (19) tomorrow they go to their respective in-laws.

To our American friends come up and celebrate with us and then again in November.

Have a safe long weekend.

A

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, OhioFisherman said:

If only I could! A turkey sandwich while fishing sounds like a good snack! Is turkey the traditional thanksgiving day feast up north?

Have a great holiday!

The first official, annual Thanksgiving in Canada was celebrated on 6 November 1879, though Indigenous peoples in Canada have a history of celebrating the fall harvest that predates the arrival of European settlers. Sir Martin Frobisher and his crew are credited as the first Europeans to celebrate a Thanksgiving ceremony in North America, in 1578. They were followed by the inhabitants of New France under Samuel de Champlain in 1606. The celebration featuring the uniquely North American turkey, squash and pumpkin was introduced to Nova Scotia in the 1750s and became common across Canada by the 1870s. In 1957, Thanksgiving was proclaimed an annual event to occur on the second Monday of October. It is an official statutory holiday in all provinces and territories except Prince Edward Island, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, and Newfoundland and Labrador.

The first American was celebrated in 1621.

We have the same tradions as our American cousins. I’m of European descent, our family learned the tradition and have celebrated for 58 years. My kids take it for granted.

LOL, that's a good looking bird! When you get to big to fly you take the bus? I'm in a rural area, they are all around me, but I have never seen one in my yard. Ducks, geese, pheasants, but no turkeys yet.

I don't know if some of those Canada  geese ever go farther south than Ohio.

7 minutes ago, ketchenany said:

Lew I just made batch of cranberry sauce, start harvesting. I know you just like looking at them. I wouldn’t harm one either. 

We did quite a job on a gobbler last night but it wasn't "one of mine" LOL

• Haha 1