Time for a portable generator

captpierre

My son in Ottawa was without power for 5 days recently after the tornadoes. He had a generator and was able to keep his family and some neighbors functioning. I’d like  to do the same.  I know Honda and Yamaha units are best. But they are a lot more expensive than Chinese machines from Costco, HD etc. Are they worth it for the occasional use I’m planning?  I’m guessing they all need to be maintained the same. Draining fuel properly or at least starting regularly to keep them from gumming  up. 

Yes, maintenance is a must with any fuel unit.  forget the Chinese machines, when you need parts it can be a headache.  Take a look at CTC, they have the B&S 2200 inverter on sale this week,  not the quietest but reasonably acceptable. They will run the fridge and freezer and if you have someone with a bit of electrical prowess, you can get the furnace to run from them too.  http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/search-results.html?q=briggs and sratton 2200 inverter

I've sold a few of these ones (link below), haven't heard of any issues. They do have local auth repair centers through Ontario. You can get different brands that still use a Honda engine.  I have also heard TSC has good deals on them every so often.

https://xstreamwashers.com/Products?Category=Generators

I have several generators that I use around my place.

My favorite is my 2KW Yamaha but coming in a close second is actually a Champion unit from CT.

I purchased it on sale and saved a bunch of $$$. It starts great and runs well although it is noisy compared to my super quiet Yamaha.

If you are only going to use it occasionally I would get one of the propane powered ones. No need to worry about fuel issues, stabilizer, gumming etc.

They are a few $$$ more but worth the price if it's going to be sitting more than running.

You really need to have a generator transfer switch installed to make life easier as well. Just plug in the generator, flip the switch and fire it up and it will power the circuits that have been connected to the transfer switch.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/champion-6500-watt-dual-fuel-generator-0550366p.html#srp

I have had a mastercrap generator since the ice storm of 2013.  We have also run off brand generators at the hunt camp for thousands of hours.  Are they as good as Honda or yamaha, no they are not.  Will they work for the average user if properly maintained and run regularily, they sure will!  If you fill it with gas, jam it in a corner and forget it then you'll have problems when you need it.  If you set a reminder on your phone to run it once a month for a half hour, and only keep the tank half full so that you actually run your fuel down and add fresh from time to time the you'll be fine.  I only run ethanol free fuel in any boat or small engine application.  I also rotate my spare gas and dump it into the truck every six months and buy fresh.  YMMV.

I bought a champion 2 years ago used it once or twice and it sat there. I blew the dust off it this spring and it fired right up even with old gas. I ran it all summer at camp putting a couple hundred hours on it problem free. For a cheaper stand by generator the champion is great. Next year I think I'm going to buy a Yamaha knowing I'm going to put hundreds to thousands of hours on it.

Before I bought my permanent stand-by generator I used a 6500/7200 Champion and as suggested by Drifter I also had a separate panel to  power the things I needed most importantly. It was a decent machine that ran very well but it's quite noisy. I'm in the boonies and power outages are somewhat frequent but the Champion served me well and once ran the house for 2 1/2 days.

Just keep in mind that if you need the generator to run very important things like sump pumps you actually have to be there to start them up. If you can't always be there a permanent automatic stand-by may be worth thinking about.

2 hours ago, captpierre said:

The duel fuel option sounds good. 

Anybody know if they run on natural gas?

Could use my NG BBQ outlet. 

The fuel system would need to be worked on. 

Different sized orifices between NG and propane.

Most likely you will need a stand by generator like a Generac NG generator.

https://www.lowes.ca/generators/generac-7030-guardian-9000-watt-lp8000-watt-ng-standby-generator-with-automatic-transfer-switch_g2130196.html 

There are Natural Gas powered gennies available. The neighbour has one, Genac comes to mind. Not cheap. Has all the bells and whistles. Comes on automatically when there is a power loss and gives you a text when it happens.  We should have one. Only think about it when power is off. We are fortunate to have NG. When there is a loss power the NG fireplace comes on automatically so at least we wont freeze and can cook, but the water line to the cistern will freeze solid eventually if cold enough. Then I use a bucket. Happened once in 20 years during winter.

So did some research on the cheaper generators. Seems Generac and Champion are decent brands.   Not going to run forever but likely good enough for the occasional power outage.  Duel fuel is a nice option.  Both offer local service and parts.  Anybody have good ideas as to which might be preferable?

All I can suggest (regardless of what brand you buy) make sure you get an inverter generator. Tell me what in today's appliances do not rely on sensitive electronics, to run? One voltage spike form a cheap non-inverter generator, could take out the controller(s) to anything you have connected to the generator. My fish hut has a 12 volt DC RV furnace in it. My batteries were running low, so I thought I'd charge them up with my little Champion. All was good until the furnace wanted to kick on. The igniter clicked about three times and went quit. The controller was fried; new they're about $500.00; almost twice what I payed for the generator used. Luckily there's a RV junk yard just outside of London and got a replacement controller for $75.00. I still have the Champ but I isolate the batteries during charging.

Sorry for being long winded here; but spend the money on an inverter genny. 

Dan.

PS: Fisherman had also mentioned this in his post to the thread. Smart man!!!

17 minutes ago, DanD said:

All I can suggest (regardless of what brand you buy) make sure you get an inverter generator. Tell me what in today's appliances do not rely on sensitive electronics, to run? One voltage spike form a cheap non-inverter generator, could take out the controller(s) to anything you have connected to the generator. My fish hut has a 12 volt DC RV furnace in it. My batteries were running low, so I thought I'd charge them up with my little Champion. All was good until the furnace wanted to kick on. The igniter clicked about three times and went quit. The controller was fried; new they're about $500.00; almost twice what I payed for the generator used. Luckily there's a RV junk yard just outside of London and got a replacement controller for $75.00. I still have the Champ but I isolate the batteries during charging.

Sorry for being long winded here; but spend the money on an inverter genny. 

Dan.

PS: Fisherman had also mentioned this in his post to the thread. Smart man!!!

Thanks Dan. I hear ya. I don’t think the Chinese machines come in much more tha 2000 watts as inverters. The bigger generators say they have built in surge protectors and manufacturers say are safe for electronics. Who knows. A Honda 5000 watt inverter is about $4700. ? I would love one of them. 

Surge protection is one thing; but it's the dirty voltage that's generated from the cheaper machines; that you need to worry about. Don't want to harp; just do some research and compare inverter to non-inverter machines. You'll see the potential hazard to your equipment. A lot of people get away with it and not hurt anything; I'm not one of them. Must be the luck of the Belgian's? LOL

Dan. 

22 hours ago, captpierre said:

Thanks Dan. I hear ya. I don’t think the Chinese machines come in much more than 2000 watts as inverters. The bigger generators say they have built in surge protectors and manufacturers say are safe for electronics. Who knows. A Honda 5000 watt inverter is about $4700. ? I would love one of them. 

I'm going to purchase their 7KW inverter generator for the cabin when I put in the big solar system.

It will mostly get used in the winter when the sun is hiding most of the day.

Cost on it is $5K which is spendy but quality costs $$$$$.  ;)

Also it's nice and quiet just like my 2KW Yamaha. I like the idea of that. :)

Adding to the cost will be intake vent, remote start and extended exhaust.

Found out that my OLD Honda 1000 watt genny won't reliably run LED lights!  So I bought a NEW Honda 1000 watt genny with Inverter.  No more issues.  And if you are a member of OFAH, there was (and maybe still is) a hundred bucks discount when you buy a new Honda.

But the big work horse to run power tools is an el cheapo Champion 5000 watt.   Noisy as hell but reliable.

I guess it really depends on what you want to use the generator for.

Purchased a Honda 2000w inverter 2 years ago for various occasional uses. Running Noco chargers for my boat, charging items, running power tools, basically just having portable power. When the storm hit Ottawa we lost power for 24 hours and I was able to run the fridge, chest freezer, and basement entertainment system for the duration without any issues. The Honda is whisper quiet, fairly portable and bulletproof. Obviously like any small engine proper maintenance and quality fuel is key. I feel like the 2000 size (or 2200W model now) is the most versatile since it is still a suitcase style and can handle a fairly large load. IMO its worth the investment. 

Also if you needed more power you can get another 2000w Honda Companion model and run them connected together for a 4000W inverter system with a 30amp plug. This would be a cheaper and more portable option than buying a 5KW inverter. Good luck

Edited by BassMan11

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/9/2018 at 1:03 PM, BassMan11 said:

Purchased a Honda 2000w inverter 2 years ago for various occasional uses. Running Noco chargers for my boat, charging items, running power tools, basically just having portable power. When the storm hit Ottawa we lost power for 24 hours and I was able to run the fridge, chest freezer, and basement entertainment system for the duration without any issues. The Honda is whisper quiet, fairly portable and bulletproof. Obviously like any small engine proper maintenance and quality fuel is key. I feel like the 2000 size (or 2200W model now) is the most versatile since it is still a suitcase style and can handle a fairly large load. IMO its worth the investment. 

Also if you needed more power you can get another 2000w Honda Companion model and run them connected together for a 4000W inverter system with a 30amp plug. This would be a cheaper and more portable option than buying a 5KW inverter. Good luck

Looks like getting 2 Honda 2200w inverters is the way to go . 1 for home and 1 for cottage. Then have both home for winter ?

I'll share my experience.......long winded as it is!

I bought a B&S 9,000 w gasoline generator about 4 years ago. I wanted portable power to run a welding machine at the back of our property and also to supply back up power for the house. I built a doghouse enclosure with a hinged lid and exhaust vents. It also has manual louvers on both sides to allow it to run in a storm.

I exercised this unit monthly to make sure it was able to start. I have a battery maintainer on it to keep the starting battery charged at all times. I rewired one panel in my house to isolate the incoming power and only run this one panel with my sump pumps, freezers, and refrigerators. I do have to manually switch it all over which only takes a few minutes, but again it is manual.

The first time we had a power outage a couple of years ago, I reluctantly waited until midnight to switch it on. I was hoping power would be restored. About 3 am, I hear the furnace shut down and my CPAP machine goes off! (I had run an extension cord for it and a couple of lamps upstairs). I knew a tank of fuel would last longer than that, so I get dressed and go outside. Lots of fuel, but will not restart. Hump the darn thing around to the garage in a snow storm to find that en electric cut off switch on the carb bowl is faulty and fuel is leaking.

Next morning, a rental is nowhere to be found locally, but finally find one about  an hour away at HD. Go get it and connect it up.  Nice Makita unit with no bells and whistles, but  does the job. After a couple of hours running on a Saturday night, I notice half the circuits that are powered off it are not working. Seems it has dropped one leg of the 240 volt supply. I take it apart the next morning and all looks good. Start it up and I have both legs back. A few hours later, it drops one again. I manage to get by on the one leg until power is restored. return the rental and express my displeasure! Guy could care less. He plugs a drill into the unit on 120 volts and says "see, all good!" Yeah, I'm out of there.

My B&S unit was under warranty, so I take it to a local repair center at beginning of April. End of July, I cannot get this arrogant idiot to complete the repair. Even when he says he has the part and will get to it when he can! I have had work done there before on my tractor under warranty, but will never go back. Great Mechanic, but arrogant as all hell.

I'm back running on this unit, but have not needed it since. When I got it, I did put a load on it and checked the output power with a scope meter to see what the sine wave looked like. It seemed good (Pretty clean) and has not harmed the electronics in my new furnace so far! It was not rated for electronics and is definitely not an inverter unit.

We decided this morning to invest in a Generac automatic switch over unit with retirement pending in the near future! I would like some piece of mind if I go away in the winter without putting my Daughter through the ordeal of checking the house and having to do the changeover procedure. it is simple enough for me, but not for someone not so inclined. We are fortunate to have Natural gas.

I am so done with this portable generator crap! I also have a small portable for camping and assisting family members that is 2200 watt.

Good luck with your adventures! I think I will go outside and see what surprises await me in the generator enclosure this time!

• Like 1

Great post Rattletrap. Better than a fishing report! I’m with you on the automatic Generac units. Like Lew said. They are made in USA, I believe. Not sure if their portables are. Would like to know. Way cheaper than HONDA. I’m not very technically capable like you are.  So im ok to pay extra for higher quality within reason. 

19 hours ago, captpierre said:

I’m with you on the automatic Generac units. Like Lew said. 

If you want an automatic Generac for your cottage Peter, call The Generator Center in Peterboro and ask for Diana...705 931 0938.

She'll come out to your place and go thru everything you want to run and then suggest the best option and then set up a date for the install.

Excellent folks to deal with and the service is 2nd to none.

On 10/9/2018 at 1:03 PM, BassMan11 said:

Yup---I bought mine because we have a sump pump and I want to make sure I can run it if I lose power. So, for me, reliability is paramount. OTOH, if I just needed it for a cabin/camping etc I would have bought a cheapie.