brush cutting blade on a weed trimmer

super dave

Has anyone done this before?   I have a gas straight shaft 25cc trimmer with a 3/8 inch shaft as well as a 28cc mac.   i have a ton of small brush and shrubs i need to take down and the string is just not cutting it.  i know people have put on brush blades like the renegade but the problem is the inside bore of these blades are 20mm or 25.4mm.  Anyone know where i can get a bushing reducer that goes from 20 or 25.4 mm to 3/8 inch?   or a 5/8 to a 3/8.  looks like a table saw or circle saw blade is 5/8 so that might work.   Hacking away with a shearer or a machette would take days so any recommendations for this solution would be great. 

I'll have to invest in a pair of chainsaw chaps and steel toed boots if i go through with this. 

Thanks.

hey guys.   

No it will be an annual thing.   I have a property up north that needs a lot of work done to it.   most of it is forested.

Looking at the stihl brush cutters, the engines are 25cc.   So unless i'm missing something, that should be enough power.  I wont be taking down 2 inch trees.  mainly stuff up to 1in max.  Most will be under that in diameter.

Edited by super dave

For my Echo I have the hedge trimmer, chain saw and a pole extension. The total reach is 11 feet plus my reach, it is awesome! There are many accessories for Echo and Stihl. 

If you live in the west end they are on Wilson about 1km east of Weston Rd. You can see them from the 401 and 400 interchange.

i had a craftsman's and a poulan that came with brush blades, I believe though that both were larger than 25cc. I don't know if they figured out a way to get more power out of them, but I was looking last week and not seeing many over 25cc.

I have the Ryobi gas trimmer with chainsaw, cultivator and brush cutter attachments. The brush cutter is three bladed and cuts like the devil through most vegetation. tbh tho, it doesn't seem to like anything thicker than maybe an inch (I think) but will still level it.

I use a battery powered sawzall from Homeless Despot that came with 2 other tools, Ryobi. But it isn't something a self respecting Landscaper would have. I bought some 10" or longer blades designed to trim brush. A weed whacker is just that, a weed wacker.

Edit: Rent a Bushhog with tractor once a year for a weekend. You will clear more brush in an hour that will take a weed whacker all day to do and save your back holding a weed wacker all day long. Plus using a tractor and bush hog is fun.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

If I had to cut a ton of brush, maybe every year? I wouldn't beat up a weed wacker doing it, those brush blades are probably fine or an occasional  small job but intensive work?

Like Art says that tool might be your best bet, and maybe you can find a used one cheap?

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200641918_200641918

This one isn't quite as pricey, but still a bit of sticker shock?