Sta-bil or Sta-bil 360 Marine?

captpierre

Didn’t know the latter existed. I use regular gas during the summer for my Yammy 115 4 Str. Then in September I let tank get low then start using premium ethanol free in preparation for winter storage. Have always used regular Sta-bil with no issues. 11 yrs.

Both on sale at CT. 360 Marine a bit more $. 

I use regular Stabil and have always had good results, maybe water or ethanol Fisherman? My question would be what is the shelf life of the stuff? For something as important as that, I always buy a new bottle and now have a bunch older, half empty bottles.

Stabil 360 marine is designed to keep a barrier between the fuel surface and the air. It also will help with corrosion of the tank more so than sta bil. I use it always no matter what time of year or whether two and four stoke. A note the two stroke oil can come out of solution if allowed to set for long periods of time. Always give it a shake no matter what brand you use. 

Art

Does anyone know for sure if seafoam can stabilize to the extent of stabil? If so seems like stabil is inferior and Seafoam is the better product to use. I sometimes run both, seafoam a couple times a year to clean crap out and stabil when I need to stabilize. But I really have no idea what I'm doing lol, in terms of the facts on what actually works the best. Don't like the sounds of what Fisherman says above...

I know it's most likely overkill but I use both. I run regular fuel in my 2 stroke and since it's EFI, it's straight fuel in the tank. I got in the habit of always using Seafoam as a cleaning agent as opposed to a stabilizer and using Stabil as the stabilizer. So in the fall, I up the Stabil ratio and back off a bit on the Seafoam. Just my $0.02.

From the Seafoam site: Sea Foam helps to stabilize stored fuel for up to two years by resisting evaporation, preserving ignition vapors, and preventing the formation of gum and varnish.

Hahaha, Smitty types faster than me.

Edited by Fisherman
  • Like 1

The skeptic in me knows that manufacturers  can make all kinds of claims on these types of products without having to provide proof. “Helps” is very vague. Might help 1%. You have no idea. Us mere mortals are stuck in the middle between slick marketing and facts. 

2 minutes ago, captpierre said:

The skeptic in me knows that manufacturers  can make all kinds of claims on these types of products without having to provide proof. “Helps” is very vague. Might help 1%. You have no idea. Us mere mortals are stuck in the middle between slick marketing and facts. 

And why I use both....plus, Seafoam cleans fuel systems very nicely.

I used to use Seafoam. Switched to Amsoil stabilizer. Still use seafoam for both my vechiles in fall and spring to cleanup fuel system. I am steong believer in seafoam products and big fan of amsoil.

Edited by Cosmos

6 hours ago, captpierre said:

Seafoam's history goes back decades before it hit the general consumer market in your local ctc or auto shop but it's been around since the 30's when it was developed for the marine industry. The American military has used it for ages so you know it must be good. Btw the DeepCreep is an excellent penetrant for rusted bolts.

Cheers

17 hours ago, captpierre said:

Well, I can tell you it has never hurt my engine. I have a 1993 Yamaha/mariner that gets seafoam added to every bit of gas that goes in the tank. I can't even guess how many hours are on my engine.....thousands? Maybe tens of thousands? Its a lot. I've never once in all those years had a fuel issue. In fact, all ive ever done was replace the  original fuel line from the tank, replace the impeller a couple times, change lower unit oil, and new plugs every once in a while. I swear by seafoam, the stuff just plain works.  I've been running it hard for 25 years this season, and it runs just the same now as it did when I first got it. It really makes it hard to justify a new engine, even though I want one LOL 

I'm not saying its better than anything else, just that I have a lot of years of good experience with using it. 

S. 

Snake oil a vs snake oil b

I know I personally saw no difference using original stabil back when , but I have been using seafoam the last several years for some reason.  A big difference for me was when I made sure I stored my equipment properly and started using premium eth free.  But the snake oil placebo effect is definitely there for me too....

1 hour ago, buick14 said:

Snake oil a vs snake oil b

I know I personally saw no difference using original stabil back when , but I have been using seafoam the last several years for some reason.  A big difference for me was when I made sure I stored my equipment properly and started using premium eth free.  But the snake oil placebo effect is definitely there for me too....

Yup. I would love to hear from a fuel chemical engineer type to get the facts.