GBay/Moon River Fall Conditions

FishyFishy

Heading up with a group to the Georgian Bay next week for some fall fishing, hoping for some general pointers this time of year as I usually head up in the spring and summer and never this late. We’ll be around the Moon River, fishing mostly for bass and pike/musky.

How are the conditions in the area (water temps, weeds, etc.)? Water still warm? I typically get bass towards the outer islands in summer, wondering if they are still deep and if we should concentrate closer to open water. Also wondering if the pike have started moving in shallower yet.   

Driving up from the states so a little insider info is always helpful and appreciated. Thanks.

I have never fished the Moon River area, we used to go a little farther north, Pointe Au Baril, and I haven't been up there in almost 30 years. Also never went up there as late as October, but we did usually do a guy trip every September. Getting the timing down for the trip was tough, especially since we tried to make reservations for the fall on our summer family trips.

For us the fishing was better after the first cool weather pattern here in Ohio, it could mean they had already have had a frost. September conditions there could vary a lot more than here, but the first cold spell usually triggered the bite.

Here is a ten day weather forecast from MacTier  https://www.worldweatheronline.com/mactier-weather/ontario/ca.aspx

Rain was never much of an issue during our summer trips ( July - August ), but in September it could rain for days at a time, seemed to help the fishing though. I am guessing that by now the fish have moved in to feed for the winter.

Bass will definitely be suspended over deep water chasing bait.   Go to your summer spots and move deeper and keep an eye on the graph.   Live sucker minnows are deadly.  Also big vertical jigging spoons will work as well.

Thanks for the tips. Much appreciated. 

We are heading up next week so I'm hoping the bite will be OK. 

Our main target will be pike/musky I think. My plan is to focus on main lake structure and hopefully find some weeds that aren't completely dead. We get bored with trolling but it might be our best bet. 

My best results have been out through the straight, and into G'bay.  Last year I had lots of smallies, all around any rock/shoal that you could fine - at the same time of year.  I believe it was warmer however.   I did get some Pike follows as well, and hooked up on a couple - nothing really big though.  Look for my posts, I am pretty sure I put some of the pictures up.

I have yet to catch anything in Moon River and/or Blackstone.  I am pretty sure I did get a musky strike one year trolling - as the Twister tail I was running on a lure came back - without the tail.  

Let us know how you do.  I keep trying - won't be up there this year unfortunately, or probably would have seen you on the water.

Fish the moon quite a bit but haven't been able to go out this fall.  Best bet is West of the straight. Rock piles for smallies, I drop shot a leach pattern.  Got a few pike this year on husky jerks and blue fox inline spinners in weedy bays.

Of the 10-12 or so years regularly fishing the moon only got 3 ski's, all trolling, downsized lures in shallow with deep water within feet.  Biggest was a hawg of a 47 on a walleye diver inadvertently caught trolling for fall eyes, so lucky my line didn't break had the drag set really loose and tightened up because I thought I snagged the bottom then came the head shakes along with my knees. Was not wearing a yellow jacket at the time lol.

Good luck.

20 hours ago, lunkerbasshunter said:

I washed lures all day Friday north east of there.  weeds are dieting off.  the best fishing won't start for a while.  water temps are 58 degrees.  nobody was catching anything so it wasn't just me.  

Thanks for the report. Heading up there later this week, right when the temps are about to drop off a cliff...

Looks like it might be a tough go. Better than working at least.