Tamagami grouse/rabbit hunting

captpierre

Hey Guys. 

My 2 sons have taken up hunting. Grouse, rabbits and waterfowl. They are thinking of exploring Tamagami area crown land early November. Will Camp in the woods.  Does anybody have any advice on where approximately  to go for grouse and rabbits?  And the likelyhood of success.  Thanks  Peter 

The first week of November is usually deer season, not sure if there are many organized deer camps in the area, but, and I know you have just as much right to be there as they do, if you are small game hunting in an area where camps are running organized deer drives you won't be the most popular guy in the bush. 

On 9/28/2018 at 2:43 PM, dave524 said:

The first week of November is usually deer season, not sure if there are many organized deer camps in the area, but, and I know you have just as much right to be there as they do, if you are small game hunting in an area where camps are running organized deer drives you won't be the most popular guy in the bush. 

Thanks. Will pass this on. 

On 9/28/2018 at 11:43 AM, dave524 said:

/\ /\ /\ this is good advice to avoid a really negative start to their new interest in hunting

I'd call the MNR office that looks after the area they are interested in and try and talk to a CO and ask him/ her where is a good spot to set up far enough away from the established hunting parties.

On 9/28/2018 at 2:43 PM, dave524 said:

Not too many deer hunters once you get up north of Temagami, since that is getting to be near their northern range.

Find the food find the birds.  There are many thousands of km's of gravel logging roads with good grouse potential, but plenty of people hunting them too.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from there last week.

Don't worry about deer camps. Not a deer area. Yes there could be a few but generally very low deer populations.

For camping area's look at either the sites along Red Squirrel Rd. or maybe Rabbit Lake Rd. Many nice lake front sites which don't see a lot of use this time of year.

3 hours ago, Woodsman said:

Just got back from there last week.

Don't worry about deer camps. Not a deer area. Yes there could be a few but generally very low deer populations.

For camping area's look at either the sites along Red Squirrel Rd. or maybe Rabbit Lake Rd. Many nice lake front sites which don't see a lot of use this time of year.

Thanks for that!