1st year of guiding done.

limeyangler

Hi all,

I posted back in the spring I was starting to guide at the camp in my bay. I just guided the last guests for the year. My thoughts?.It's fun. It was an odd year on Wabigoon, totally shut down from beginning of August until a couple of weeks back, it was really hot and we had zero rain. Lake level is the lowest I've seen it in 11years. Luckily I was able to put people on fish regardless and I get a real buzz from sharing my passion with like minded souls. I hear a lot of 'American' bashing locally and on Canadian forums, but so far the folks i've met are generous, funny and kind.

I was worried about getting paid when the bite was off, but I have had no problem keeping the banter going and using humour to compensate in those situations. I would have to say only one group was a challenge, but after a few hours it was clear nothing would please them and I wondered if they even liked fishing, maybe golf for that crew?....lol.

I am straight up with my guests and share with them what I am good at and what i'm still learning, and I am learning lots fishing with experienced and non experienced anglers.

I've made a lot of new friends and already have some bookings for next year, gotta say it feels good to have people really appreciate your efforts. 

I like to go the extra mile for the guests that pay me and its easy to do because I do what I'm getting paid for on most of my off days anyway, so plenty of info sharing via text,  unscheduled meet ups out on the lake and follow along trips to other lakes have been given free of charge, and the guests love having a video to take home for memories, I just charge them for a memory card.

Its also nice to have a bit of extra income but not having to rely on that. I don't have to take &*&^ from anyone cuz i'll just walk, and they know that, but luckily i have a good relationship with the owners.

https://youtu.be/6R8SNPXHLJ8

Edited by limeyangler

• 2 weeks later...