Troubleshooting bow mount trolling motor

leaf4

Hey so I picked up a new to me boat on the weekend, the guy threw in a 45lb thrust motorguide bow mount trolling motor (which wasn't included in the original ad so it was a bonus) and had told me that it needed a new bearing or bushing for the shaft/prop as it was a bit rough and spun a bit rough.

So I picked up 2 new batteries yesterday from great northern battery on Parkdale, got a great deal on 2 AGM group 31's $145/piece, charged them up over last night and today and came home from work expecting to try and troubleshoot the prop, but it doesn't even get that far... No beep when I hook up or anything, at this point from what I can tell, it's likely from 2007 (same age as boat) and the father in law has the same one in 75lb, he had some issues which he had fixed but in the process was told due to it's age it wasn't likely that parts would be available for much longer as they're being discontinued.

Any ideas on cost to diagnose/is it even worth putting money into?

Yeah at this point I'm thinking I'll either find another unit or call up a service center to see what a diagnosis would cost. Just took a multi meter to the plug at the front and it's still reading well through it, it's just not making it from there to the head unit it seems. 

13 minutes ago, OhioFisherman said:

If it's any help, there are videos on youtube that cover some trouble shooting such as this one,

Electric Trolling Motor Diagnose and Repair - YouTube

Motorguide trolling motor parts 

parts for older models may be available there.

Thanks. Just pulled the cover off the front and the wires all look good, reading 3.5v at them. Dunno if that's low but it seems like it could be.

leaf I have no idea, but in that video link I posted the guy explains an issue about voltage readings without a load on the circuit? I had a spade connector on a foot pedal melt down once, it was an obvious issue that I could repair myself, and since it happened on a practice day for a tournament a couple of hundred miles from home I needed to do it myself quickly or buy a new motor.