Shimano Reel Service worth it?

Raycaster

This isn't a slam against Shimano Service, just a question if its REALLY ($$$) needed.

I bought a new Stradic 2500 FJ a few years back and fell in love with it right away as it was super smooth and just prefect for my needs.

Unfortunately like a moron 2 years later I lost it overboard and since it was no longer manufactured I purchased a Stradic 4000 FK ??? looking for not only a replacement but maybe a upgrade from the awesome 2500 FJ.

Well, the FK if fine but it just seemed bland compared to my old FJ so I searched and found a used 2500 FJ on kijiji.

I realize I may be totally over evaluating how good the 2500 FJ was but an extra reel never hurt right?

Sorry for the long story but the question is whether its worth to send the used reel to Peterbrough for service over the winter?

The reel has some scars but seems smooth and 100% operational.

Just clean up and light oil everything or invest in a true full service at Shimano?

I have no idea on the cost as service may be more than the reel's worth...

Raycaster,

I have sent spinning reels in (Stradic CI4's) in a few years ago. The cost is roughly $30.00 and they change out the parts that wear the easiest. I cannot remember what they changed on my spinning reels but on the baitcast reels, they replace the pinion, ,main gear and any bearings that are done.

Now, if your reel is still smooth, it may not be worth it but it will certainly not hurt. Shimano supports their reels for about 5 years after they discontinue them. After that, it is hard to say if they will have the parts required for the service.

I typically service my own baitcasters unless a part needs to be replaced. In that case, I will send the reel in instead of ordering the part to save me some time.

26 minutes ago, Lape0019 said:

Raycaster,

I have sent spinning reels in (Stradic CI4's) in a few years ago. The cost is roughly $30.00 and they change out the parts that wear the easiest. I cannot remember what they changed on my spinning reels but on the baitcast reels, they replace the pinion, ,main gear and any bearings that are done.

Now, if your reel is still smooth, it may not be worth it but it will certainly not hurt. Shimano supports their reels for about 5 years after they discontinue them. After that, it is hard to say if they will have the parts required for the service.

I typically service my own baitcasters unless a part needs to be replaced. In that case, I will send the reel in instead of ordering the part to save me some time.

I took a 30 yr old spinning reel into them last year with a broken bail spring.  First assessment is that they part wasn't available but 2 weeks later I got a call that it was ready for pickup.  $25 and its better than new.  My advice is to get all your shimano reels serviced by them at one time or another. Once a year for reels with a lot of use, etc.  FYI, I use a Calcutta 400D for musky (2-3 trips a year)  only so i'll send it in after about 5 yrs unless theres a problem.

The price listed is correct. I thought Spinning gear was slightly more than casting.

As for the bail spring, many of the older reels will have parts from newer reels that fit so I am not surprised that they could source a bail spring from another part bin. The issue comes when you need an AR bearing in a certain size they no longer use or a new gear set that they no longer make and nothing else in the new line was quite like it.

I never said they couldn't get parts after 5 years. It's just harder to guarantee they can fix the reel.

Got the reply yesterday:

Hello,

Yes, you can drop that off Monday through Friday between 8:30am and 5:00pm

It will be approx. $25 for a full service and cleaning.

Regards

So... Next week I will drop off and I will follow up with results but heck $25 seems pretty reasonable (if not a damn good deal!).

A few years ago I took an Ultralight reel I purchased in the late 1980's to them since it was a bit stiff and I wanted to resurrect it from the dead for crappie fishing.

The fellow there (could have been Chris) said ... "wow, this is an old one.  not sure we would have any parts for it".  I said to do whatever they could to bring life to it and left it with them.  A couple days later I got a call to pick it up.

They were able to clean and lube it and replace a couple bearings that he said he could find that would fit.

The total cost ... $11.   LOL

:)

I send my 3 Shimano Calais and my Antares AR to them, along with a Sustain 1000 FE and a Sustain 2500 FE every year.

The amount they've replaced and not charged me for is insane.  And that fact that these are platinum level reels I get them back in no time.

I'll never send them anywhere else.

Chris has helped me out and has gone above and beyond for me with a rod issue that I full expected to pay for and was no charge.   I'd have no issues sending my better reels there for $25 for a tune up!  My lesser level one's my kids use I clean up as they don't use them often. 

10 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

care to elaborate?

My bail spring was broken. He replaced it. When the bail is flipped now there is a clicking noise---not smooth. He oiled and greased it which was prob a good idea but I didn't ask for it and it was not itemized on his bill(He said on the phone that he had done it when I phoned to see if the job was finished)

Chris and the guys at Shimano are fantastic. 

They know their stuff and stand behind the product. I've had a great experience with them clean and tuning reels. 

A couple of years ago, I tripped in the boat, had one of my Curados in my hand and I snapped the handle off at the shaft. Reel was only 6 months old but I broke it so had every expectation that there would be a cost to repair. Went into Shimano, told them exactly  what happened...response was " it should not have broke" ...told them, Im a big guy and fell on a small reel....still " the shaft shouldn't have broke" ...no charge. Kinda felt guilty...but solidified me as a Shimano customer for life...I don't buy anything else.