Planing to go for fishing in Algonquin park

Jeffrey L Evans

Hello guys,

I am planning to spend my next weekend in Algonquin Park. The two days I am going to spend hiking and fishing and there is no other plan other than these. So I am searching for a place to stay in and around Algonquin Park from where it will be easy for me to go hiking and fishing.

So here are my questions,

Can someone please suggest me a lodge or cottages in Algonquin Park near to any fishing spot? Do you think Killarney lodge will be a good option? I heard, only lures and worms are allowed in the park. Can someone please confirm this? Also, How is the trout season going on? I know it is already the end of the September, but can I expect some good catch?

Lastly, please share me some simple but good trout recipes for outdoor cooking

No live fish as bait anywhere in the park I believe, so I think worms are fine. Theres a bunch of lodges in and around the park; most of them are quite expensive. 

Lake trout and Brook trout both close September 30th; depending on the lake you goto some have all year exceptions. 

If your fishing from shore Id imagine it'll be tough to catch Lakers.

• Thanks 1

I have never stayed at Killarney Lodge, only ever camped in Algonquin. If you are up for a hike you can try the Western Uplands Backpacking trail and fish Maple Leaf Lake, it is stocked with Splake, you can also try Heron lake for Splake its close to Hwy 60.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Tjames09 said:

No live fish as bait anywhere in the park I believe, so I think worms are fine. Theres a bunch of lodges in and around the park; most of them are quite expensive. 

Lake trout and Brook trout both close September 30th; depending on the lake you goto some have all year exceptions. 

If your fishing from shore Id imagine it'll be tough to catch Lakers.

Thank you Tjames09.

If they are going to be closed by 30th this month, It will be fine if I go during this weekend right? There are a few more days left. But, I am not sure about the catch though ?

I am planning to go in a canoe.  Do we need any special permit or something? 

11 hours ago, Jds63 said:

I have never stayed at Killarney Lodge, only ever camped in Algonquin. If you are up for a hike you can try the Western Uplands Backpacking trail and fish Maple Leaf Lake, it is stocked with Splake, you can also try Heron lake for Splake its close to Hwy 60.

Thank you Jds63.

How long does it take to complete the trail? Can we continue hiking during the late evening? Where does the Western Uplands trail locate exactly? I have only two days in my hand. So, I have to plan everything properly. 

10 hours ago, jimmer said:

That place seems pricey, what about camping or renting a camper trailer, then you have more flexibility. OR You can always stay at a place outside the park and drive in for the day, park and do your hiking and fishing.

Thank you, Jimmer. 

If there is no option to stay inside the park, or if all the options are costlier,  I will have to find a place outside I guess.  

On 9/26/2018 at 12:37 AM, Jeffrey L Evans said:

Thank you Jds63.

How long does it take to complete the trail? Can we continue hiking during the late evening? Where does the Western Uplands trail locate exactly? I have only two days in my hand. So, I have to plan everything properly. 

The backpacking trail is made up of 3 loops, designed for hiking not portaging and you can camp at designated lakes.

The first lake MapleLeaf Lake is about a 4.4 km hike from the parking lot, I know people have caught splake from shore in the spring not sure about now. You should get a map and plan accordingly based on how far you want to hike. Here is a link to a map.

http://www.algonquinmap.com/index.html

Edited by Jds63
  • Thanks 1