Rivers , Facebook and migratory fish. RANT

Rustic-Fisher

Little rant ....

Im not a huge Facebook user but have “liked” and followed some fishing groups .

Ive fished our rivers for over 25yrs ,  and have never seen so many hero Pics with fish that were caught (flossed) in 20” of water, I am actually leaning toward a full fall closure of these tribs .

Am I just getting old and crusty LOL , or are you guys noticing the same ?  . 

Low water in the fall and bluebird skies has always brought out those with poor angling skills to 'catch' a salmon.  I'm not convinced there are more doing so than in the past (35 years).  It is unpleasant to watch.  As for the FB sites, I have also joined a few but dropped those where it was evident that flossing was mostly everyone's MO.

There was a time this bothered me, now it doesn't bother me.  Large fish are accessible a few times a year to people that don't have boats.  Some bad things will happen.  Unless I hear of a run of coho, all of my fall salmon fishing happens in the boat in the 40-80fow range before they head upstream.  It doesn't interest me to chase a 20lb fish in 2 feet of water.  That said, I think back to all the fun I had salmon fishing as a kid, and into my teens and I wouldn't take that away from anyone.  "Flossed" or not, let them eat cake as far as I'm concerned.  I fell off my moral high horse when it comes to tributary fishing a long time ago.  As for the facebook sites, well people will be people.

Was a that story hit the papers last year about 50 charges  on the ganny in 1 weekend

The story did not emphasize that 550  where checked  and 500 where fishing legally

just having a good time.

Just because I  don't care to fish this area doesn't make it wrong and just because

I don't care to eat these fish doesn't make it wrong.

At this time  6000  salmon are over the Corbet.

I  vote for access. I vote or family's to take kids to the river and have a good time.

Later I will make them good anglers.  

I do more damage to the salmon population than anyone of of those guys.  Im with porkpie, our boat  and guests in years passed easily have kept 100+ bbq kings(5-10lber's) a year.  But i  dont like the straight up snagging with trebbles that goes on. 

Edited by Freshtrax