Smoking fish on going

misfish

With the steel head herd coming soon, I thought I best try to the right smoke now, then later. Hate to waste a good GBAY trout.

So grabbed a couple of fillets from the local, and gave the dry brown  sugar, dark/yellow mix ,with 1/3 cup of salt.

It could of went a bit longer in the smoker, as I left the skin on as told. The skin traps to much oil for my liking, but,Im happy

Mix of apple chips and sweet maple chunks,  basted with rum and syrup again. It,s sooooo good.

PvsC9jV.jpg?1

G3PjNVc.jpg?1

zUfcvLr.jpg?1

cSooPix.jpg

Nibbled a bit before the rest show up. LOL

C5wDLCC.jpg?1

Feed back good or bad, is always welcome

Oh I forgot something for me bye,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

:tease:

Edited by misfish
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Crazy Ivan said:

Your brine and smoking technique are perfect. It's the same way I do it.

I like to remove the skin and the belly fat. Also pull the pin bones in the fillet with needle nose pliers. A bit more work than most are willing to do but the outcome is worth it - fish candy :)

That belly fat is   DISGUSTING.

ABSOLUTELY NOT, don't get rid of the skin before smoking fish.

But who am I to say, I have only smoked several thousand trout and salmon fillets.......................  yes indeed, when the fillet is finished smoking, get rid of the belly fat and anything that LOOKS oily.  Take the smoked fish off the skin, and dump the grey centre-line meat also.  But leave the fillet on the skin for the brining and smoking.  Otherwise you are dealing with dried-out fillets, stuck to the smoker grills.

And BTW I do salmon candy with the skin on, 100% of the time, and it is awesome.

JMOYMV

I did  a dozen walleye fillets a few weeks ago skin off, cooked them one one of those "cookina" reusable grilling mats, came out moist and flakey with no stick because of the mat..

I smoked them at 200-225 for about 45 minutes then pumped up my pellet smoker to 350 for a couple minutes to start the shut down procedure and left them on during that and they were great, just had a bit of lemon pepper seasoning on them

On 9/21/2018 at 8:18 AM, leaf4 said:

I did  a dozen walleye fillets a few weeks ago skin off, cooked them one one of those "cookina" reusable grilling mats, came out moist and flakey with no stick because of the mat..

I smoked them at 200-225 for about 45 minutes then pumped up my pellet smoker to 350 for a couple minutes to start the shut down procedure and left them on during that and they were great, just had a bit of lemon pepper seasoning on them

Smoked walleye?  There aughta' be a law against that!.  

The Foodland on 93 in midland smokes its own fish.  Over the summer I have tried their trout and salmon and earlier they had smoked sturgeon.  It was all pretty good.  Made fantastic fish dip with the sturgeon.  Simple recipe.  flake the fish.  Add 50/50 sour cream and mayonnaise to the consistency you want.  A bit of salt, a very small amount of chopped chives and the secret ingredient.  A bit of grated lemon rind zest.  Eat it with pita or baguette slices.  Never seem to have any leftovers.