NF. New Motor - E-TEC 135 HO

hutch4113

Finally got the new motor installed on my Smokercraft.

With the old Optimax I would top out at 41MPH (2 people) at about 6000 RPM (It was probably more like 5800 RPM - don't think the gauge was all that accurate).  With the new motor I am topping out at 44MPH @ 5500 RPM.  So I have a little more RPM's to get out of it.  Currently running a Rebel SS 3 Blade - 3x15 1/4x19RX Prop.  When the Marina did the water test, they were hitting 6000 RPM with an Aluminum 3x14.5 19P (Not sure on speed, as my GPS was not in the boat.

If anyone has some suggestions on what to look for RE: the Prop, let me know.  I am thinking I may need to go down a Pitch on the SS, as it is a wider diameter.  I am looking for more top speed in case anyone is wondering.  Hole Shot was good with this prop.

So far I am really really really impressed with the new Engine.  Cannot get over how quiet it is, even at full throttle.  Hardly smokes at all - and is great a trolling speeds.  

2.jpg

1.jpg

Nice motor. Hope she serves you well. When I bought my rig in 2007 the E-tecs had just come out. On paper they sounded amazing. 2 stoke performance with 4 stoke fuel economy. I was too chicken to buy the new technology. Typically always bugs to work out. So went with my Yammy 115 4 stroke. She’s been great. But in the fall your winterizing will be a breeze. Compared to mine. 

8 minutes ago, captpierre said:

Nice motor. Hope she serves you well. When I bought my rig in 2007 the E-tecs had just come out. On paper they sounded amazing. 2 stoke performance with 4 stoke fuel economy. I was too chicken to buy the new technology. Typically always bugs to work out. So went with my Yammy 115 4 stroke. She’s been great. But in the fall your winterizing will be a breeze. Compared to mine. 

Don't understand - why is winterizing a 4 stroke harder than a 2 stroke - am I missing something -

14 minutes ago, JoePa said:

Don't understand - why is winterizing a 4 stroke harder than a 2 stroke - am I missing something -

The winterizing for the E-TEC is built in.  You just do a key combo on the ignition and it fogs itself.  

The other benefit is if you decide to go out again after...you can just go...and then fog it again.

There are a LOT of variables in play here. Two outboards from two manufacturers, two props, one stainless, one aluminum. 

I think you can absolutely swap out props until to get up to 6000 rpm and you might be happier with the top end, but don't be at all surprised if it nets you zero results. That aluminum prop spinning at 6000 could have been moving the boat SLOWER that your are now. It's prop slip. I've set up a lot of bass boats and once you're within 2-3 mph of the peak performance, that last couple mph will cost you hundreds to solve. I've seen guys get the rpms nailed, great top end, low prop slip and when they have 3-4 people in the boat, they can't get up on plane because they have too much prop. If you're happy with the hole shot and it runs strong fully loaded, I probably wouldn't spend money trying to go from 44 mph to 46 mph. If you have a shop that will let you try props without buying fine, but if you find one you like, you're back to spending a lot to get to 46 mph. JMHO Good luck.

2 hours ago, Mister G said:

Don't chase your tail trying to get 6k out of that motor......you are in the manufacture range already (5300-6000 RPM)....

https://www.evinrude.com/en-US/e-tec.html

That is correct - I am in the range.  However if I start adding weight to the boat (i.e more people, which I do quite often) I will fall out of the range.  From the reading I have done, you want to get as close to the red line as you can.  Figure dropping down a pitch on the bigger prop will do nicely.  Hole Shot was not the greatest either.

1 hour ago, grimsbylander said:

There are a LOT of variables in play here. Two outboards from two manufacturers, two props, one stainless, one aluminum. 

I think you can absolutely swap out props until to get up to 6000 rpm and you might be happier with the top end, but don't be at all surprised if it nets you zero results. That aluminum prop spinning at 6000 could have been moving the boat SLOWER that your are now. It's prop slip. I've set up a lot of bass boats and once you're within 2-3 mph of the peak performance, that last couple mph will cost you hundreds to solve. I've seen guys get the rpms nailed, great top end, low prop slip and when they have 3-4 people in the boat, they can't get up on plane because they have too much prop. If you're happy with the hole shot and it runs strong fully loaded, I probably wouldn't spend money trying to go from 44 mph to 46 mph. If you have a shop that will let you try props without buying fine, but if you find one you like, you're back to spending a lot to get to 46 mph. JMHO Good luck.

I tried out my Aluminum Prop on the weekend.  Hole Shot was almost scary - top end was actually 1 or 2 KM faster than the SS I had.  However the Aluminum was smaller diameter (though same pitch).  I think I like the larger diameter prop - the entire boat felt way more stable at high speed, then with the Aluminum (it is supposed to be my backup prop anyway).  This will be due to the larger surface area, which can bite more water - and I think the weight of the prop too.  There are some cons too it as well - when I slow down, it is like putting your face through the windshield -> and turning to the Right is much more difficult, but I think I can correct that with adjusting the fin on the motor slightly.  

I am trying a different style of SS - maybe this weekend.  But pretty sure I am going to order the Large Diameter Rebel - but at a 17P instead of a 19P, so I can get the RPM's maxed out where they should be.  Then when I add people and/or equipment, I will be in the proper range for the motor to work.

72KM/H in this boat is plenty fast enough ?, as I have discovered.

I don’t even think I’d want to go 80kmh in an aluminum boat..

jesus the difference between 40 mph and 50 is hugely noticeable in my bass boat. 

I imagine it’d start to feel like when a bass boat starts pushing towards 65 and starts chine walking, but even scarier 

Edited by AKRISONER

11 minutes ago, AKRISONER said:

I don’t even think I’d want to go 80kmh in an aluminum boat..

jesus the difference between 40 mph and 50 is hugely noticeable in my bass boat. 

I imagine it’d start to feel like when a bass boat starts pushing towards 65 and starts chine walking, but even scarier 

The word you are looking for is WOOHOO!!!! lol 

10 minutes ago, grimsbylander said:

The word you are looking for is WOOHOO!!!! lol 

Had the pleasure of fishing with a buddy down in South Carolina with a 21 foot triton with a 250 pro xs powerplant.

made it even more interesting when the trees in the lake were passing us 5 feet from the boat at 70mph lol

• 10 months later...

Update on the motor so far - love love love it.  One of the nice things about it is the noise, particularly at low idle.  It has a real nice note.  Trolled with it this past week - all day, every day - never had a problem.  It maintained a nice constant speed.

Running it this year with a SS Viper.  Hitting 5900 on the RPM at WOT.   Maxes out with two people at 43.5 mph.  However more impressive is when I have six people in boat.  Hole Shot is still under 5 seconds - and we hit 41 to 42 MPH at WOT which was really impressive.

On 9/21/2018 at 8:48 AM, AKRISONER said:

Had the pleasure of fishing with a buddy down in South Carolina with a 21 foot triton with a 250 pro xs powerplant.

made it even more interesting when the trees in the lake were passing us 5 feet from the boat at 70mph lol

I was in a 21 foot Champion Bass boat a few years back and we were flying across Stockton Lake in Missouri. I looked over the side and could see the tops of tree stumps totally submerged just under the surface all around us! I asked the driver how he knew where to run? He said "been through here a time or two before"!!!