ACL tear/repair (NF but kinda F)

Acountdeleted

Hey everyone, 

so in May of 2017 I tore my ACL playing softball. At the request of my wife i’m finally getting surgery to have it repaired this December. 

I was was just wondering, have any of you had this? Especially those who ice fish? I figure i’m probnaly out of commission for the winter unless I get a hut rental and have the opporator bring me out (even then it might be iffy). But you know me, (if you do know me) I make a lot of stupid decisions. 

Any advice / past experience is greatly appreciated.  

You drive a few sheet metal screws into the rubber knobs on those crutches and they're ice crutches!! lol 

Yeah, I think you'd want to be careful there. It wouldn't take much of a sideways slip to bugger up a freshly fixed knee. Potentially, you could suffer a setback and jeopardize spring fishing. Regardless you'll know better after you've had it done but it's so less intrusive now compared to years ago. My son's buddy walked in here 3 days after the surgery. Might have been looped up on Vicodin and Naproxen though! :D

My son had ACL surgery many years ago. It pretty much finished his soccer and football careers. If you play any sports count on being out for a year. He was back up and walking in a couple of days but any twisting or side to side movement is a no no! Exercise bicycle helps as soon as you can deal with it. He had a custom knee brace made which came from California, I assume that now they are available in Canada. It helped a lot as far as day to day getting around for the first month or two and held the knee stable in case he slipped or fell. It was expensive but worth every penny. Good luck with the surgery if you want to know any finer details of the surgery PM me.

Thanks everyone. I do badminton, boxing and running/ jogging. Expecting those to be on the shelf until this time next year. My sister ordered the custom brace and swore by it. I think i’m Going to go thah route. 

Thanks for the help everyone. I’ll probably send out a few PM’s after the surgery. 

My wife had a total knee replacement a couple months ago and is still recuperating and the doc said anywhere from 3-6 months for full recovery.

Obviously not the same thing but I spose the pain is similar and good luck with your surgery & recovery and I guess all I can offer is do exactly what the doctors and therapists tell you to do.

ACL reconstruction - Mayo Clinic

Anterior Cruciate Ligament (ACL) Reconstruction Surgery

If that is any help jer? It's been 25 - 30 years since my daughter had hers done, they did it with a scope too I believe, very small scars. Like a year or two later they went back in because she had some swelling and issues ( an infection around a screw? ) but they took a screw out and cleaned it up and she has been OK since.

Edited by OhioFisherman

I had a complete tear of acl with some cartilage damage at age 25.

my knee was repaired  and 20yrs later i would say I have 90-95% normal usage without a knee brace. I have a custom brace and do wear it when playing hockey or snowboarding/skiing for peace of mind.  But any pick up games I don’t wear it.

my advice is intense physio. Build up the muscles that support your knee!!

after my surgery I walked after about a week with a splint but it was painful and any twisting or lateral movement was excruciating..

i took a year off sports to rehab and that was the best decision I made.

standing/walking on unstable ground such as ice will put a lot strain on the knee.  It might be to early from surgery to risk it???

regardless my surgery allowed me to do all the physical activities I enjoy. BUT I got to this point  because of rehab and taking it easy the first little while.

ihope you have a speedy recovery!

Word of advice, it might be time to "hang up the gloves" on any intense sport. Not sure if you even partake... but knee ligament injuries seem to re-occur in many people, especially if the injury was the result of wear and tear. If it was a freak accident, then maybe not.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Sterling said:

Word of advice, it might be time to "hang up the gloves" on any intense sport. Not sure if you even partake... but knee ligament injuries seem to re-occur in many people, especially if the injury was the result of wear and tear. If it was a freak accident, then maybe not.

Not only that, but a lot of those injuries have a habit of coming back and haunting you as you age.

Hey everyone. Thanks again for the advice. 

The tear was totally a freak accident. I was playing softball, rounded 3rd and tripped over the bag that wasn't staked in properly. My knee went one way and I went the other. The sharp impact of the twist of my knee hitting the ground tore the ACL. 

I run between 30-50k a week so I'm hoping the strength that I have built in my quads from that will help the recovery. I'm planning on getting my gym membership back a week before the surgery and switching over to the bike after I am done to get back on my feet asap. 

Boxing, I've never fought and have no intention to. I just do the cardio classes and learn the technique. My coach keeps telling me she wants me to fight but agrees it would be at least a year after the surgery before she recommends it. I'm hoping I can put it off forever (I have no interest in getting punched in the face) I've done badminton after my injury. If I don't wear my brace I have had a few scary moments, but you'll pull the racket out of my cold dead hands. 

I get the feeling that the pain will be the main indicator of when I can back to walking and the like. I'll keep everyone posted. 

Yeah, be careful if you decide to venture out on the ice, even with an operator. I took a flip walking to the bombardier last year. So stupid, but it just took a little lapse on my part and there I was laying flat on my bad back.

Being in shape will sure help with your recovery.

HMMMMM, lets see,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Both knees done . age of 16-18. Cart ledge removed. Hockey and football ( SOCCER? REALLY ) LOL. Then at the age of 25,mcl left knee. 30,acl of right knee. 45,mcl of right knee.  All sports releated. Never had surgery. Rehab and ultra sound. Wore a brace  ( custom made ) Thank goodness for company coverage . Cost $1400 back then. 54 and still going. Ya limping a bit, but suck it up butter cup. The pain will be there when you get older. I have good days and bad days. I know when a storm is a coming. LIMP GIMP I AM.

Best of luck with recovery buddy.

Thanks bud. Funny thing is I think i’d actually survive without an ACL, i’m At the point now I don’t notice very much anymore. Big thing is I want to make a 5k race under 20 minutes and I can legit tell that the knee is slowing me down (that’s the excuse and i’m Sticking to it) 

needless to say i’ll Be wearing ice spikes until spring thaw regardless if i’m On the ice or pavement on Downtown T.O 

12 minutes ago, jerpears1 said:

Thanks bud. Funny thing is I think i’d actually survive without an ACL, i’m At the point now I don’t notice very much anymore. Big thing is I want to make a 5k race under 20 minutes and I can legit tell that the knee is slowing me down (that’s the excuse and i’m Sticking to it) 

needless to say i’ll Be wearing ice spikes until spring thaw regardless if i’m On the ice or pavement on Downtown T.O 

When your all back to some what normal, I will have a harness for you to pull my hut out. Dont forget your spikes. LOL

I had ACL reconstruction surgery done almost 3 years ago.  Hockey and ultimately beach volleyball were the culprits.  I'm 46 now and tore the ACL about 5 years ago, so surgery 2 years after the tear.  I have an active lifestyle and felt I needed the reconstruction surgery to continue to enjoy this lifestyle.  There were several incidents of what I called "slide-outs" after the tear where I was doing very non-stress full movements like walking down the aisle at CT and turning/pivoting on the bad knee (to change direction for the cash register) when it would feel like my fibia and tibia were just wobbling about and I felt like one day it was just going to keep wobbling/separating and cause further damage so a repair was in order.

My doctor referred me to a surgeon who I think was terrific, Dr. Di Pasquale in Mississauga.  The surgery only takes about 1-1.5 hours, you go home the same morning (as long as you have crutches and a ride).  They harvested a hamstring to use to replace the torn ACL with, there other methods but this is the current favourite it seems.  Physio starts 2 days afterwards.  I wasn't much of a believer in physio beforehand but am now.  I'm totally convinced that I wouldn't have recovered the full range of motion without it.  I also believe that it helps to be in good shape beforehand, by good shape I mean having strong leg muscles.  I didn't do much more than the minimum of physio and wish I'd done more.  It reduces recovery time and improves the final result.  My benefits covered the expensive brace (still from California and about $1800, can't remember if that was CDN or U.S.).  I've almost completely given up sports but am told can do it without problem or much risk with the brace I just choose not to and it's ok.  Biking, ice fishing, hunting, hiking, walking and some others I've chosen not to count as "sports"....lol.

My advice is start to mentally write-off a good chunk of the ice season (you'll have many more if you play this right), my surgery date was Feb.21 (I think) and what scared me even more was trout opener (slippery rocks and mud banks) so I skipped one year of this.  Crutches, no working and no driving for 6 weeks (or until you can show enough movement) even though it was my left knee.

They want you using the knee as quickly as you can so be smart, don't push it tooooo much and you'll be good.  Do the physio!!!....and then some

Do the physio on the scheduel they give you even if it's slow and boring as hell.  I had my bicep reattached to my forearm last march.   I did the lame ass physio they had scheduled for me and I also did a lot at home.  And my recovery was faster then expected.     You'll definitly need a ride out this ice season.!

I had a complete rear of my ACL at age 56. Surgeon advised me to not have it repaired and to try to live with it being absent. I got a 2nd opinion and got the same story. I got fitted with one of those $1,800 braces that was mentioned previously, had the knee scoped to clean out the torn cartilage, and took 8 weeks of physio. A rebuild of the ACL is a very intense procedure and the rehab depends on your age........most cases it takes about 1 year.  Both surgeons that examined me at the time said that there could also be complications, like being left with a stiff leg. That was 13 years ago and I'm still without the ACL. It hasn't been great, the pivoting like was mentioned is the biggest issue, can no longer run or jog even. can't fold the knee (like crouching down), but otherwise it;s been OK. I do have pain but this is mostly due to arthritis. So, you can count on being out of commission for at least 6 months.

15 hours ago, misfish said:

When your all back to some what normal, I will have a harness for you to pull my hut out. Dont forget your spikes. LOL

14 hours ago, NAW said:

Don't worry Jer.  You can ride in my sleigh early ice, I'll pull you out to the spots, with Frosty the Snowman playing on my portable stereo. 

Haha you guys are the best. If I can get out at least once with each of you this winter I'll be happy. I'll just have to send you both to my secret spot with my mom and my wife so I can see someone haul in some nice lakers. 

Thanks again to everyone for the advice and their experiences. This is giving me a great idea of what to expect. 

My son was an aspiring basketball player on his way to a career in the sport. Then one night  playing a game he ripped both his acl and mcl, had a scope done, then was told he needed the surgery. Took him about 2 or 3years of severe pain to finally give in to the operation. Which was done about 6 years ago. He should wear a brace but refuses to do so and this is probably contributating to his ongoing knee trouble. He rarely plays a game of ball anymore and the ACL tear messed up a possible career in the NBA development league or over seas. 

I had both knees  done before you guys were born I bet, when I was 24. The first was a torn ACL, MCL and PCL, basically a dislocated knee. Then it was a 9" zipper on the side of the knee a cast for 6 to 8 weeks. Then a few years latter tore the other knee to rat poop. It changed my life as arthritis set in both knees by the time I was 35. I've been limping for 40 years and they hurt each and everyday and a total of 11 surgeries. I have a bit of advice, do your homework. By homework I mean therapy, do exactly what the therapist says, no less and as important NO MORE. It is just as important to get a good therapist as a good surgeon. What do you call someone that came dead last in their medical class? Doctor. And be very careful with the pain meds unless you want to become an addict. It's easily done.

I have been told I needed both replaced 25 years ago. They give out knee replacements these days like candy at Halloween. If I can get out of bed most days I'm OK. At my age I know I can't go through anymore major surgeries, no more.

3 hours ago, Old Ironmaker said:

I had both knees  done before you guys were born I bet, when I was 24. The first was a torn ACL, MCL and PCL, basically a dislocated knee. Then it was a 9" zipper on the side of the knee a cast for 6 to 8 weeks. Then a few years latter tore the other knee to rat poop. It changed my life as arthritis set in both knees by the time I was 35. I've been limping for 40 years and they hurt each and everyday and a total of 11 surgeries. I have a bit of advice, do your homework. By homework I mean therapy, do exactly what the therapist says, no less and as important NO MORE. It is just as important to get a good therapist as a good surgeon. What do you call someone that came dead last in their medical class? Doctor. And be very careful with the pain meds unless you want to become an addict. It's easily done.

I have been told I needed both replaced 25 years ago. They give out knee replacements these days like candy at Halloween. If I can get out of bed most days I'm OK. At my age I know I can't go through anymore major surgeries, no more.

"What do you call someone that came dead last in their medical class? Doctor"

I love this. And it's true for all disciplines. Turns out I was dead last in my engineering class (after the other 50% got weeded out). But I like to think I'm an okay engineer. A good student doesn't always make a good employee. And vice-versa. But there is some major validity behind your statement.

Be doubly careful with your pain meds folks. You can get addicted to oxys within a week of normal use. 

1 hour ago, Sterling said:

"What do you call someone that came dead last in their medical class? Doctor"

I love this. And it's true for all disciplines. Turns out I was dead last in my engineering class (after the other 50% got weeded out). But I like to think I'm an okay engineer. A good student doesn't always make a good employee. And vice-versa. But there is some major validity behind your statement.

Be doubly careful with your pain meds folks. You can get addicted to oxys within a week of normal use. 

In my life I have found many people educated far beyond their level of intelligence. Does the school system at the elementary and secondary even fail kids today ?   They must get a rude awakening at the post secondary level .