A Sutton River & Trout Fishing Specktacle.

Moosebunk

The famous Sutton River and its speckled trout fishing!!!  Writing stories online now for more than 15 years, this is the one which should have been the first.  Learning of this remote, northern Ontario river back in 2000 while living in nearby Attawapiskat, since then it has been the longest standing fishing trip on my bucketlist.  Flying in August to our starting point at Hawley Lake, my good friend Mike and I camped and paddled our way out along the Sutton to Polar Bear Provincial Park and finally, Hudson Bay.  An experience completely out of this world, for 130 kilometers over 12 days, hundreds and hundreds of speckled trout were caught on lures and flies.  Fishing the Sutton is truly unimaginable, just a very special waterway choked with trout for it’s entire length.  If you are ever going to take a journey with me or maybe plan to one day travel to the Sutton yourself, this is a story you should read.  Full, picture loaded report at the link below.  So get in the canoe and trust me. ;)

A SUTTON RIVER & TROUT FISHING SPECKTACLE

d08-27_zps1z84attm.jpg?w=1080

d03-12_zpsdfubnzoh.jpg?w=1080

d12-22_zpsqhrb2byj.jpg?w=1080

Thanks for reading...

Bunk.

• Thanks 1

I'm guessing the price is close to 3k PP just for the fly in these days.   When I went a few years ago it was $2500.     

Great read Drew, brings back a lot of memories.   Looks like the water was up, making for easy paddling and no portaging over those shallow gravel beds (Which held some insane fish for us)

I'd think the prices would be on the Hearst Air website as well.

Edited by BillM
  • Like 1

On 9/14/2018 at 11:16 AM, the spirit of fishing said:

WOW!

Awesome write up.

Can't thank you enough for sharing.

Thank you sir!  Tougher crowd here nowadays but happy you took the time to read and enjoy. Probably one of the most time consuming stories to write but it had to be written. Mike and I will look back on it for years to come.

22 hours ago, ckewley said:

One word describes that whole truly awesome report, TOTALLY VASCULAR!!! man that was a epic read, thanks!!!!! If you don't mind could you clue me in on the cost, PM if necessary. The Sutton has been a bucketlist place for me since first reading Borgers report years ago.

The wife’s darned IPad is giving me troubles here.  We tried to stay away from “epic” you know!?! ? Been done to death.? Thanks for reading, it is a pricey spot, been eying it for years and dont think I remember it being $2500 but maybe? They’re package (flight and canoe) is $3200.

22 hours ago, BillM said:

I'm guessing the price is close to 3k PP just for the fly in these days.   When I went a few years ago it was $2500.     

Great read Drew, brings back a lot of memories.   Looks like the water was up, making for easy paddling and no portaging over...

• Like 1

What a write up! I'm only half way through it and have to come back to finish when I have more time. I couldn't help but skim through all the photos though. 

Just my opinion here but I can't look at the beauty that's "painted" on those fish, the trees, streams, and even the polished rocks and blue sky, and not believe in a higher power. That's a stunning part of the world.

Thanks again for taking us there!

I commented already over on your blog but wanted to tag this for interest here as well.

I am just back from a fly-in myself, think I should have gone to the Sutton instead.................?

And I still think the first round should be double ought buck to the head, and the next two the slugs.  But I hope not to have to find out.

Thanks for writing, bud, you sure as hell have a gift for it.

Doug

On 9/15/2018 at 9:52 AM, BillM said:

Great read Drew, brings back a lot of memories.   Looks like the water was up, making for easy paddling and no portaging over those shallow gravel beds (Which held some insane fish for us)

I'd think the prices would be on the Hearst Air website as well.

Between Albert's first and new second cabin we were walking and scraping the canoe down river. That day we only had to go about 4K and we were both thinking that the canoe was going to take a beating if it kept up like that.  Albert had told us that any rain they had been getting was being soaked up like a sponge by the ground, the river had been coming up.  UNTIL those 2-3 days when we held up in the cabin.  After that finished, the river still only came up about 2 maybe 3 inches I'd guess but, it was perfect enough to keep us from having to walk until sometime during the day we finally reached the Aquatuk.  Don't think it could have been more perfect a level.  Was going to ask you though, if you use the maps were there any spots on there you remember as being really good to you?

5 hours ago, chris.brock said:

I think my brain is fudged up after seeing and reading about all those beautiful brookies. 

I think the word "epic" is definitely warranted. That's an epic adventure Bunk! 

OK CB!!! Epic it'll be. :)  

5 hours ago, misfish said:

It,s the site Drew. Been funky for awhile now.

Those were some amazing fish. Another sweet report as always.

Bren and I were away the weekend. OFC wouldn't work with my phone so I tried her IPad. Took me well over a half hour just to finish a couple responses.  Thanks Brian!

3 hours ago, grimsbylander said:

What a write up! I'm only half way through it and have to come back to finish when I have more time. I couldn't help but skim through all the photos though. 

Just my opinion here but I can't look at the beauty that's "painted" on those fish, the trees, streams, and even the polished rocks and blue sky, and not believe in a higher power. That's a stunning part of the world.

Thanks again for taking us there!

Always found the sunsets and horizons extra big on the James Bay.... Hudson Bay too I guess.  That river is made of something different... made just for brook trout that's for sure.  Thanks for reading Grim! 

2 hours ago, akaShag said:

I commented already over on your blog but wanted to tag this for interest here as well.

I am just back from a fly-in myself, think I should have gone to the Sutton instead.................?

And I still think the first round should be double ought buck to the head, and the next two the slugs.  But I hope not to have to find out.

Thanks for writing, bud, you sure as hell have a gift for it.

Doug

Where did ya go bud?  Skip a hunt and come out for a fish this week, even if just a muskie troll on the Larry.  Polar Bear Prov Park permits only shotguns with slugs for protection in the park.  I liked your idea to Doug, but some folks north and south hunters just kinda chuckled about even having the shotgun at all.  They said, "you should have a rifle."  Guessing shotgun isn't good enough?  Anyways, you did see the size of that paw print?  JEEEEZUS MAN!!!  Thanks again for your help and kindness with things, you're one good dood!

I own a LOT of rifles, including some heavy thumpers, and have shot just about every cartridge for which rifles have been chambered for over a century.  That includes some "elephant guns."  If I was going to carry a gun for bear defence, I would go with the 12 gauge shotgun.  A buddy of mine, who lived in Yellowknife at the time, also had a choice of multiple firearms when he was in the back country.  He carried a 12 gauge shotgun for bear defence.  As they say, JMOYMV, and the best gun to use is the one you have with you at the time!

But this thread is about a SPECKtacular fishing trip, not a polar bear hunt, so I hope not to de-rail it.........

I'll send you an e-mail.

Doug

12 hours ago, Moosebunk said:

Between Albert's first and new second cabin we were walking and scraping the canoe down river. That day we only had to go about 4K and we were both thinking that the canoe was going to take a beating if it kept up like that.  Albert had told us that any rain they had been getting was being soaked up like a sponge by the ground, the river had been coming up.  UNTIL those 2-3 days when we held up in the cabin.  After that finished, the river still only came up about 2 maybe 3 inches I'd guess but, it was perfect enough to keep us from having to walk until sometime during the day we finally reached the Aquatuk.  Don't think it could have been more perfect a level.  Was going to ask you though, if you use the maps were there any spots on there you remember as being really good to you?

I have tracks/waypoints from our trip.   We started fishing south of where the Warchesku enters the Sutton, saw fish as soon as we entered the river, it was pretty crazy.   Caught fish as soon as we got out of the boat.  According to Albert it was a high water year and honestly I wouldn't have wanted to fish it any lower, it was perfect.  Didn't have to get out of the boat once to get over any gravel and it made some of those long gravel stretches downstream some of the best water we fished.    I'll have to dig into MapSource but some of our best fishing on those long gravel stretches were above the Aquatuk.    We zipped through the 'Freezer hole', that's the big bend pool just DS of where Albert has his tent.  We only fished the tailout as there were two old boys already there, I really didn't feel like sharing water with anyone, lol.  

I'm still pissed I pulled the 12g instead of the camera when we encountered that polar bear at the Aquatuk.    Pictures would have been unreal, lol.    I'd love to get back, but I really wanna knock the big brother Arctic char off my bucketlist before that :)

Edited by BillM

I'm still pissed I pulled the 12g instead of the camera when we encountered that polar bear at the Aquatuk.    Pictures would have been unreal, lol.   

............and the last photos on the SD card might have been of a set of polar bear teeth...............

1 hour ago, akaShag said:

I'm still pissed I pulled the 12g instead of the camera when we encountered that polar bear at the Aquatuk.    Pictures would have been unreal, lol.   

............and the last photos on the SD card might have been of a set of polar bear teeth...............

The bear didn't even flinch when I fired off 3 rounds into the air.    It entered the water upstream of us and swam downstream and towards us, probably popped out of the water about 50ft away.  Shook off, looked and just walked up the bank and into the trees.   Zero interest in us.   

1 hour ago, BillM said:

The bear didn't even flinch when I fired off 3 rounds into the air.    It entered the water upstream of us and swam downstream and towards us, probably popped out of the water about 50ft away.  Shook off, looked and just walked up the bank and into the trees.   Zero interest in us.   

Yeah, and I was trying to put a roll eyes emoji on my comment so you could see I wasn't serious.  But the forum froze up and wouldn't give me the emojis........

1 hour ago, akaShag said:

Yeah, and I was trying to put a roll eyes emoji on my comment so you could see I wasn't serious.  But the forum froze up and wouldn't give me the emojis........

Although, a bear meal was a definitely possibility :)  

7 hours ago, BillM said:

I have tracks/waypoints from our trip.   We started fishing south of where the Warchesku enters the Sutton, saw fish as soon as we entered the river, it was pretty crazy.   Caught fish as soon as we got out of the boat.  According to Albert it was a high water year and honestly I wouldn't have wanted to fish it any lower, it was perfect.  Didn't have to get out of the boat once to get over any gravel and it made some of those long gravel stretches downstream some of the best water we fished.    I'll have to dig into MapSource but some of our best fishing on those long gravel stretches were above the Aquatuk.    We zipped through the 'Freezer hole', that's the big bend pool just DS of where Albert has his tent.  We only fished the tailout as there were two old boys already there, I really didn't feel like sharing water with anyone, lol.  

I'm still pissed I pulled the 12g instead of the camera when we encountered that polar bear at the Aquatuk.    Pictures would have been unreal, lol.    I'd love to get back, but I really wanna knock the big brother Arctic char off my bucketlist before that :)

The "Freezer" is now called the "Breakfast" pool maybe? Basically a 2 second walk from Alberts?  A fly angler was on it a couple days but when he and Albert slipped down river one afternoon, we got in there and pounded fish in that tailout.  Didn't swing the flies much there as that's all the other guy had been doing, but he sure left alot of fish lure hungry.  Above the Aquatuk where those skinny runs were we moved through at a quick pace and didn't bother. Finally drift fished in a good mile or two before stopping at Eerie Feelings above the Aquatuk.  Put a quick and decent hurt on some fish there.  It's interesting to note how others like to fish the river, there's certainly no shortage of trout for all styles.

And thanks Sterling. lol.  Mike had me laughing with that log too. Nut!  GOD we could have used some horny bush broads out there though. What happens on the Sutton... well, it doesn't stay on the Sutton and it sure would have added a little extra to the story. ;) 

Edited by Moosebunk

Amazing report Drew !!!!

love your writing style ... started reading it on my lunch , couldn’t stop so went home and took the afternoon off to finish it in peace ... lol

My dad used to take me out to the local creeks many many years ago and we would catch small specks . Wish we could have done a trip like that when he was younger before he passed. 

Your story telling is always fun to read...

ahaha that shot with the piece of wood is amazing. Funny bunk you guys are going through a much heavier ordeal than i do with the boys when we head out on a weekend fishing trip, but it seems like too much time in the boat with anyone is enough to ruffle feathers. I couldnt imagine trying to do it while eating fish every day 2 meals a day lol.

What a report, glad i got to read it in one sitting.

When you described how fly fishing is like a whole other element, that really hit home for me...i dont think its something people understand until they do it.

17 hours ago, Moosebunk said:

The "Freezer" is now called the "Breakfast" pool maybe? Basically a 2 second walk from Alberts?  A fly angler was on it a couple days but when he and Albert slipped down river one afternoon, we got in there and pounded fish in that tailout.  Didn't swing the flies much there as that's all the other guy had been doing, but he sure left alot of fish lure hungry.  Above the Aquatuk where those skinny runs were we moved through at a quick pace and didn't bother. Finally drift fished in a good mile or two before stopping at Eerie Feelings above the Aquatuk.  Put a quick and decent hurt on some fish there.  It's interesting to note how others like to fish the river, there's certainly no shortage of trout for all styles.

Yeah, I think that's the best part about that river.  Doesn't matter how you fish for them, you'll catch them.    After the first few hours, I basically tossed top water mouse patterns the rest of the trip.   Although a spinning setup would have been a lot less tiring :)