What to do with a butler?! NF

Headhunter

My wife and I are celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary this month. We are headed to the Caribbean for a week and our hotel room comes with a butler! I'm not one to have others do things for me, so this will be a completely new experience for myself and my wife.

Anyone ever had a butler before and what should I expect and or ask them to do for me?

thanks,

HH

A Butler, "Oh mon you bein' a hoity toity" as  they say in Jamaica.  I wouldn't be comfortable having a grown man waiting on me. Contact the resort and ask them what a Butler's duties are and if there is a charge, the Islands are notorious for hidden charges you can hardly read in the fine print when you check in. If a Butler is anything like the Golf Caddies in Jamaica I have had, never had a caddy before either their hand is out waiting for a tip constantly. I didn't like it, I felt I was being taken advantage of. But they won't let you play on the course I was at in Runaway Bay without a Caddy. Mandatory to have one and they aren't cheap either, 40 bucks USD back in the 90's . Every time I played they tried to sand bag me into betting on shots and putts. Then out of nowhere a set of clubs that were in the bushes are on the cart. It was so obvious I was being hustled it was ridiculous. I would ask the resort for sure what he deal is. Congrats and have a great trip HH.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

A butler is in charge of driving you around if the resort has golf carts. He will get you towels and chairs around the pool and a cooler of drinks or go to the bar and food services. He makes the reservations for meals and will do small things around like flowers on the bed a fan if needed find you a hammock. You can basically ask for the things you might ask you spouse to do. The tip is usually at the end of the trip and should be based on the service I usually tip $ 50.00 a day for great service. They are poorly paid by the resort and depend on it for income. If they make you happy remembering they are up 2 hours before you and usually 2 hours after. Be thoughtful and generous and you will be fine. 

Art

tip daily.  makes a big difference.  I'm sure when you get there they will have  a meet a greet, usually with all the free booze and snacks you want and they will fill you in on the "butler".  We did  an all inclusive that came with something similar in the dominican a few years ago. Turned out we shared the dude with a few others, basically he looked after trips,, reservations etc.  Good for getting you into a restaurant that is "all booked" Wasn't with us all the time, but we had his cell and he was expected to be on call 24 hours. We barely used his services 

9 hours ago, SirCranksalot said:

At least if you find a dead body in your room you will know who did it!!?

BAAAHAHAHA

Joe, like others have said you will be fine.  Low work load day from you and the Mrs, tip less but a busy day helping you out tip more.  You know this.  Just don't let him offer to tuck you in or for a big finish...  ;)  

Is this a mandatory add on? i’ve Done cruises and all inclusive with my kids. Never had one, son in law gets up and reserves beach seats . .  Want to visit we get a bus. like OI said  cash grab. 

The Riu in Aruba has great service. never seen a butler and they were helpful on excersions, when needed. 

Thanks for all the responses! I'll be sure to update this thread upon our return. Grim, I don't see it as a problem at all, except the fact that I have never had a "servant" before, so other than treating them the way I would expect to be treated, I thought I would post this up here to seek out other's experience.

The butler comes with the room, which is an upgrade from the standard rooms available.  Happy endings are not in the brochure, so I don't expect I'll be dealing with that! LOL

My biggest concern is more weather related. So far, it's looking like we will be between any current storms and that is all I can ask for, unless the butler has skills I am not aware of!

HH

2 hours ago, Headhunter said:

Thanks for all the responses! I'll be sure to update this thread upon our return. Grim, I don't see it as a problem at all, except the fact that I have never had a "servant" before, so other than treating them the way I would expect to be treated, I thought I would post this up here to seek out other's experience.

Of course. Just joking. I wouldn't have a clue either and would be concerned I could inadvertently insult them by not knowing the protocol. Have a great trip.

• Like 1

They will also unpack for you and put away all your clothes....if you want a certain brand of liquor in your room they usually will get that for you....if need something ironed....will run baths for the wife and lay flowers on the bed, give you a pillow selection, scent in the room....the wife and I have had them when staying at the Iberostar Grand....I usually just use them to make reservations and to make sure I have my chair by the pool bar....its the wife that asks for things....me, I would rather not have one but the wife loves it so what the heck....

Chrispy!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Back from a fantastic trip to Jamaica! The Butler service was awesome! Once they learned what our habits were, they had everything taken care of for us. Honestly, this was the most relaxed vacation we had ever taken... I find myself wishing I had my own full time butler!

HH

• Like 1

I am glad you enjoyed your trip and the Butler. It is so true that people in the Caribbean are not paid well, at all. However one of the highest paying and most sought after gigs there are working at resorts. A bartender in Cuba can earn more than a medical Dr. It has always made me shake my head when customer service workers including bartenders down there complain about their wages but they all have cell phones and are very well dressed. Maybe because Art tips them 50 bucks USD a day. Many jobs here in Canada don't pay $50.00 US a day.

Got a chuckle out of that OI, cause it reminds me of a story my dad used to tell. Dad spent a year, 1958, working up at Winisk, as his employer , Bell Canada, had the contract for maintaining the radar sites on the Mid Canada Line of early warning radar installation to keep us all safe from the red menace during the cold war era. From the pictures of stringers of big specks and bags of geese it looked more like a year in paradise.  Anyway, they used to give the native Cree women a nickel to pluck and clean a goose. which the chef would prepare later at the officers mess hall, anyway a group of bell upper executives made the trip up there and went goose hunting and gave the women the birds to pluck and clean. It came out that they paid them a quarter a bird  ?,  the guys were like " You gave them how much ? "

13 hours ago, Old Ironmaker said:

I am glad you enjoyed your trip and the Butler. It is so true that people in the Caribbean are not paid well, at all. However one of the highest paying and most sought after gigs there are working at resorts. A bartender in Cuba can earn more than a medical Dr. It has always made me shake my head when customer service workers including bartenders down there complain about their wages but they all have cell phones and are very well dressed. Maybe because Art tips them 50 bucks USD a day. Many jobs here in Canada don't pay $50.00 US a day.

I have zero regrets with this trip. The most relaxing trip we have ever taken. And I don't begrudge the folks working there augmenting their income with tips; it is after all a third world nation. With that said, equating our lifestyle and theirs is a lose situation. They simply don't have the resource base we have, in a country half the size of Lake O.

HH