In The Water

spincast

2 hours ago, grimsbylander said:

Might help to clarify...these trolling motors that have Spot Lock and the ability to follow contours and bearings have become very popular. These features don't need to be designed into the units, they already exist. Even I will be picking up an Ultrex next spring($$$:Gonefishing:). The issue is, if you fall over, the boat just keeps on going. Obviously, having a PFD on is great and could save your life but, I want the damn boat to stop! lol Ohio, you know this as well as anyone, if you're out on Erie in 60deg water and your boat motors away, you still have major problems. I think the features are fantastic but think if it's possible to add a safety feature that locks the boat's position, why not? Though I don't see how, I would want something like that on a gasser too if I was out trolling around by myself on big water. So I see the PFD as an everytime piece of equipment and an option based on how a person fishes. I wear my auto inflate everytime I fish and the motor stops when my foot leaves the pedal. 

Don't get me wrong I have no issues with improving safety other than the fact that with today's and future technology it could price some people out of the market of a sport they enjoy but not at significant price. Options aren't a bad thing if you can afford them?

Yes, spent a lot of days on Lake Erie and other lakes in early April, May, October, November when the water wasn't 60 degrees, even that temp can be a killer.