Nice evening out on Lake O

BillM

Decided to head out on Lake O yesterday evening to see if we could get a few staggers to go.    The winds finally changed to the north so I was hoping the warm water would finally be pushed off the shore line.  Plan was to go out for a few hours before dark and mess around with the riggers and dipsys then come in close once it got dark and cast.    Started in 50FOW with a blank screen, wasted 10 mins doing that until we pulled up and headed a bit deeper.   80ft seemed to be the ticket as I was marking fish hugging bottom.  Figuring they were lakers I decided what the hell lets at least move some rods.   Ran SD + flies + Nasty boys on the dipsys and a JPlug and a Nasty boy off the riggers.   Figured out real soon these weren't lakers but chinooks.  80ft down over 85-100ft was the ticket.   Tally for the night was 8 chinook and one beauty Coho.  Most of the action came off the deep stuff, but we did get the coho on the SD+fly and another chinny off the dipsys once it started to get dark.   Once it got dark I pulled up and got ready for casting.   Water was way to warm, wasted 2hrs casting and packed it in.   Need a few days of strong N winds to get rid of that warm water then it should be on.    Kept a shaker for a friend, the rest are back swimming.     I let her do all the reeling, she complained about sore arms :)   

ZINydWL.jpg

y5Khj6Ul.jpg

dXevRB8l.jpg

wnDWLyJ.jpg

Edited by BillM

15 hours ago, spincast said:

nice going. Its been one of those years on our side  - where you gotta go with your gut to connect, great way to spend an evening

Yeah it was nice to pattern them out fairly quickly.   Funny thing is there was a spot that just produced fish after fish, every time I circled back and trolled through a rod went off.   I should have vertical jigged them just for the fun of it, lol.

On 9/7/2018 at 12:23 PM, BillM said:

Decided to head out on Lake O yesterday evening to see if we could get a few staggers to go.    The winds finally changed to the north so I was hoping the warm water would finally be pushed off the shore line.  Plan was to go out for a few hours before dark and mess around with the riggers and dipsys then come in close once it got dark and cast.    Started in 50FOW with a blank screen, wasted 10 mins doing that until we pulled up and headed a bit deeper.   80ft seemed to be the ticket as I was marking fish hugging bottom.  Figuring they were lakers I decided what the hell lets at least move some rods.   Ran SD + flies + Nasty boys on the dipsys and a JPlug and a Nasty boy off the riggers.   Figured out real soon these weren't lakers but chinooks.  80ft down over 85-100ft was the ticket.   Tally for the night was 8 chinook and one beauty Coho.  Most of the action came off the deep stuff, but we did get the coho on the SD+fly and another chinny off the dipsys once it started to get dark.   Once it got dark I pulled up and got ready for casting.   Water was way to warm, wasted 2hrs casting and packed it in.   Need a few days of strong N winds to get rid of that warm water then it should be on.    Kept a shaker for a friend, the rest are back swimming.     I let her do all the reeling, she complained about sore arms :)   

ZINydWL.jpg

y5Khj6Ul.jpg

dXevRB8l.jpg

wnDWLyJ.jpg

Fantastic Bill!