REST IN PEACE KEVIN BFSC

misfish

2 hours ago, mike rousseau said:

In all seriousness I hope they pulled the footage of his many go pro cameras he was likely running at the time to see what he was wearing including PFD 

From the tv interview with his sister she mentioned that they are asking for the return of his cameras to help figure out what happened.  Too bad if someone stole them.

I'm wondering what the hell happened here.

When I 1st heard the story I heard an Asian name and thought it's common they can't swim well and get into trouble. Here on OFC I read he is one of OFC's own, read a little more, calm waters and a good swimmer.

Regardless, very sad, my positive energy to the family, and like Akri said, lets learn from this and be extra careful. 

Doesnt matter how good you can swim, some times this doesnt help depends on circumstances. I knew few guys from my swim team how ended up in grave because they belived they can conquer anything in water. Kevin was amazing person. Its a huge loss for fishing community. I hope family will find a piece.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Old Ironmaker said:

You serious,  it's common Asians can't swim well? Come on man.

It's a generalization, but it's true that African Americans and Asian folk aren't as strong swimmers as Caucasians. African American children are 3.1 times more likely to drown. There are some interesting studies on the subject. Probably has to do with cultural upbringing etc and doesn't apply to Kevin.

I'll leave it at that because I don't want to derail this thread. Again, I do NOT believe this is a relevant fact regarding this tragedy.

15 hours ago, ratherboutdoors said:

From the tv interview with his sister she mentioned that they are asking for the return of his cameras to help figure out what happened.  Too bad if someone stole them.

1 minute ago, Sterling said:

Absolute tragedy. I hope videos of the event are found, even if kept private, because his family will need the closure.

I cant believe someone stole the cameras. Im sure the police have them for their investigation and will return them.

Does anyone know what the weather, wind and water conditions were in that area of Lake O Thursday? We might all learn from this tragedy. No one is immortal and it can happen to anyone here as some are on the water as much as on land. I have to tip my hat to those that do the search and recovery for tragedies like this. As well as EMT, Police and Firefighters. I know Lew was a Firefighter. It must be tough to do that type of work.  I know I couldn't do it. Back when I was out of grade 13 you could walk into the Central Police Station or local Fire station and if fit  get a job with a good recommendation and pass an aptitude  exam. I couldn't do it.

This is very sad and unfortunate.  I feel like most people, I never met the man but knew him through his YouTube channel.  He was passionate and knowledgeable angler who loved sharing his angling adventures.  He connected with so many people, especially because he was a local angler and was great at what he did.  RIP Kevin, we will miss you.  I wished I could meet you in the water one day but that will have to be at another place

3 hours ago, Old Ironmaker said:

Does anyone know what the weather, wind and water conditions were in that area of Lake O Thursday? We might all learn from this tragedy. No one is immortal and it can happen to anyone here as some are on the water as much as on land. I have to tip my hat to those that do the search and recovery for tragedies like this. As well as EMT, Police and Firefighters. I know Lew was a Firefighter. It must be tough to do that type of work.  I know I couldn't do it. Back when I was out of grade 13 you could walk into the Central Police Station or local Fire station and if fit  get a job with a good recommendation and pass an aptitude  exam. I couldn't do it.

OI, was out on  my friends boat that evening. Water was choppy but not too bad.

My estimation  is the water was in the mid 60s. Winds were around 10-15 kms from what I recall. 

Below is a photo of the sunset that day. We remember seeing choppers flying around over the lake.

So sad to hear about Kevin.  I had been chatting with him recently over facebook about recent fishing closures around port hope.  He was a selfless person and was always willing to share information.  May he rest in peace. I pray for patience for his family and close ones.

20180906_195821.jpg

Edited by huzzsaba