OhioFisherman

Lake Erie Sturgeon stocking

That's really exciting news Ohio.  I love when efforts are made to repopulate our waters with native species, especially ancient ones like sturgeon. 

I've never ever seen a sturgeon in the wild in my life!  

8 hours ago, Mike Pike said:

That's really exciting news Ohio.  I love when efforts are made to repopulate our waters with native species, especially ancient ones like sturgeon. 

I've never ever seen a sturgeon in the wild in my life!  

Mike, I have never seen one in the wild myself. There has been a few news reports over the years here of an occasional catch, but very few and very far between. 

I watched a video earlier this year of Mark Zona and Jordan Lee fishing Lake St. Clair, Jordan hooked one the estimated to be around 100 pounds, he played it for a long time but lost it.

That's unbelievable about Burbot in Erie.  I know a few people catch 'em icefishing on Lake Simcoe up here, but I've never heard of one being caught in Erie.  You certainly don't think of Erie for Burbot, anyway. 

Man, I gotta get out more!

3 hours ago, Canuck said:

Wonder if sturgeon eat gobies too?

Canuck, just guessing with a sturgeon's mouth being on the bottom of their face that bottom dwelling fish like gobies would be a prime meal for them? Aren't sturgeon typically bottom dwellers?

Gil, when I was very young I remember my dad talking about ice fishing for burbot " lawyers " at a place about 50 miles east of Cleveland, I don't know of anyone that has caught them recently. I was surprised to see them in the diving videos, most people I know don't bottom fish in those kind of depths though.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.