Times have changed, fish prices 1939.

OhioFisherman

11 minutes ago, OhioFisherman said:

you could still buy a new car for 3 grand.

hahaha, I just bought a new truck and it cost me 4 times more than my 1st house.

And ketchenany, I guess my $100 wasn't so bad afterall LOL

49 minutes ago, ketchenany said:

Lew I should have joined the fire department! Typographer’s  apprentices were making $46. 

LOL, the first regular trucking company I worked for went out of business in 1976, so I decided to apply to be a fireman in my suburban community, there wasn't a building over 3 floors high. They called and told me the training would be done at Cleveland's fire training school and I would have to jump out of a like 90 foot high tower into a net. Dude no fire behind me and no jump!

Except for that it would have been a great job for someone that liked to fish! 24 hours on duty and 48 hours off!

I remember when gas was 7 cents a gallon - when you pulled into a gas station the attendant would clean your windows, check your oil, give you a free map if you wanted one, gave you a water glass and green stamps that you could trade for stuff in  catalogue - the first job I had working was working at a car dealership getting paid 65 cents an hour

Life in those days was much more simple - and I think better except for the health care that is now much better

I use to go fishing with my uncle back then - rented a wooden row boat with oars for a buck a day - could go out in the lake and catch all kind of fish which we took home to eat - yep - "those were the days my friend - I thought they would never end "

1 hour ago, MJIG said:

What species would the Blue Pike in that ad have been?

We called them Blue Pickeral when I was a kid, cross the Niagara River to New York and they called them Blue Pike.  Port Clinton would use the U.S. common name of Blue Pike. 

Blue Pickerel/Pike were more than a different coloration. Their eyes were larger in relation to their body kind of Sauger like and they never got any larger than 2-3 pounds tops and were found deeper and preferred cooler water than Yellow Pickerel. I recall Dad got them anchoring in 40 plus feet of water with minnows much like perching in Erie today but we trolled for Yellow Pickerel much shallower.

I bought a used 1959 Desoto in  1964,  went home and stopped at the local ''Super -Test" Gas Station for gas.

Car was almost empty on fuel when I picked it up,  

Almost had a heart attack when the pump went past  $7.00 to fill it up,  total cost was  $7.29 for   gas at  .29 cents a gallon.

I was earning $39.00 a week as a blueprint apprentice at a Print Shop in Hamilton.

My first house cost me $26,500.00 in  1973.

I grossed for the previous year $9,800.00 to qualify for a mortgage of $25,000.00

Mortgage payment was $218.59 per month,  I lost sleep over how I was going to pay for it.!!

Don't know how the young folks today afford the huge mortgages, 2 cars, kids, and all the rest.

Just blows me away!!!!!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, dave524 said:

Blue Pickerel/Pike were more than a different coloration. Their eyes were larger in relation to their body kind of Sauger like and they never got any larger than 2-3 pounds tops and were found deeper and preferred cooler water than Yellow Pickerel. I recall Dad got them anchoring in 40 plus feet of water with minnows much like perching in Erie today but we trolled for Yellow Pickerel much shallower.

dave, I can't remember ever seeing one, walleye and " blue pike " were pretty much gone from this area except for the western basin spawning river by the time I was young, which led to fishing trips to Ontario. Our first was in 1957, because dad couldn't catch walleye here.

Plenty of fuel for a debate out there though?

Blue Pike

Blue pike extinct, but did they ever really exist?

Blue Pike - Ohio History Central

Great Lakes Blue Pike May Not Be Extinct After All - latimes

What ever happened to the Buffalo Blue Pike? – Buffalo Rising

Sandusky Register | Looking back on the Blue Pike

Blue Pike Story

9 hours ago, npt1 said:

I bought a used 1959 Desoto in  1964,  went home and stopped at the local ''Super -Test" Gas Station for gas.

Car was almost empty on fuel when I picked it up,  

Almost had a heart attack when the pump went past  $7.00 to fill it up,  total cost was  $7.29 for   gas at  .29 cents a gallon.

I was earning $39.00 a week as a blueprint apprentice at a Print Shop in Hamilton.

My first house cost me $26,500.00 in  1973.

I grossed for the previous year $9,800.00 to qualify for a mortgage of $25,000.00

Mortgage payment was $218.59 per month,  I lost sleep over how I was going to pay for it.!!

Don't know how the young folks today afford the huge mortgages, 2 cars, kids, and all the rest.

Just blows me away!!!!!

LOL, I bought a brand new 3 bedroom 1 1/2 bath split level home in a western Cleveland area burb in 1975 for 28,900. Yes, there is something scary about seeing young people spending that much for a car now!

5 hours ago, OhioFisherman said:

dave, I can't remember ever seeing one, walleye and " blue pike " were pretty much gone from this area except for the western basin spawning river by the time I was young, which led to fishing trips to Ontario. Our first was in 1957, because dad couldn't catch walleye here.

Plenty of fuel for a debate out there though?

Blue Pike

Blue pike extinct, but did they ever really exist?

Blue Pike - Ohio History Central

Great Lakes Blue Pike May Not Be Extinct After All - latimes

What ever happened to the Buffalo Blue Pike? – Buffalo Rising

Sandusky Register | Looking back on the Blue Pike

Blue Pike Story

Thanks for the links, interesting read, the Sandusky Register mentions the last good age class of fish occurring in 1958, I would have been 8 or so , I liked them as I could stillfish for them  but Dad trolled for Yellows  with bait casting gear, usually with a June Bug spinner and worm, they pulled too hard for a 8 year old to troll. Smaller size, deeper cooler water all goes along with my 60 year old memory, just don't ask what I had for lunch yesterday ?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dave524 said:

Thanks for the links, interesting read, the Sandusky Register mentions the last good age class of fish occurring in 1958, I would have been 8 or so , I liked them as I could stillfish for them  but Dad trolled for Yellows  with bait casting gear, usually with a June Bug spinner and worm, they pulled too hard for a 8 year old to troll. Smaller size, deeper cooler water all goes along with my 60 year old memory, just don't ask what I had for lunch yesterday ?

I turned 7 in 1958, same age bracket, ya dad's tackle box of that era, june bug spinners and flatfish, perch rigs and spreaders.

1 hour ago, b_cdot said:

so much for the sayin " it's pickerel in canada and walleye in the states". I'd love to hear the true story behind the nomenclature

This explains the origin of the name Walleye, even the Ontario Fishing Regs were still calling them Yellow Pickerel in my youth 50's and 60's, the name Walleye really didn't see widespread use till the 70's here in Canada,  Americans seemed to adopt it earlier.

https://ontariowalleyefishing.com/ontario-walleye-biology-fishing-resource/