Lake of Bays Bass - Help

AKRISONER

7 hours ago, Rattletrap2 said:

I used to know about this fizzing of bass from deep water and understand why it has to be done, but have long forgotten it! Does anyone have any good info on the subject to share?

Thanks

https://www.bassmaster.com/slideshow/fizzing-fish-step-step-how

The club I fished with had a tournament on Sandusky Bay one year and we limited ourselves to the bay itself. There was a much larger tournament going on at the same time from the same city ramp, they had no limits on their area and most made the run out to the deeper Lake Erie waters.

We were coming back to the ramp shortly after their weigh in was finished and noticed seagulls floating around pecking on fish struggling on the surface, it was the smallies from their weigh in, and a lot were in the 4-5 pound range, it was a sick sight!

• Sad 1

Ended up finding one on amazon!

holy heck guys I’ve been up at my place in pointe au baril the past 3 days Fishing a lot, and absolutely nothing is doing.

ive fished between 6 and 55 fow and I can’t seem to catch a fish over 2lbs

maybe I just need to be more patient. Im finding schools of bait with smallies on em but the big ones just do not seem interested. Maybe I’m just not used to it being the time of year where dinks will mix in with the big girls if the food is good

Sounds like you're competing with the over abundance of baitfish in that area. At a certain time of the year they seem to ball up making the hunt easier for smallies. I would have guessed a little later but it is September now...though it doesn't feel like it. If that's the case and you're seeing a lot of bait, you can either slow right down and become the easiest target or move off. I was up around Killbear one year and couldn't catch a thing worth mentioning...hit the smelt run perfectly lol.

5 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

Ended up finding one on amazon!

holy heck guys I’ve been up at my place in pointe au baril the past 3 days Fishing a lot, and absolutely nothing is doing.

ive fished between 6 and 55 fow and I can’t seem to catch a fish over 2lbs

maybe I just need to be more patient. Im finding schools of bait with smallies on em but the big ones just do not seem interested. Maybe I’m just not used to it being the time of year where dinks will mix in with the big girls if the food is good

Akri, any idea what the baitfish were? I can't recall ever seeing the huge schools of emerald shiners up there that we see on Erie.

I’m not good enough to identify baitish.

i figured it out this morning...just had to sort through and sting all the dinks lol

found this baitball today and hit a dink...decided to wait them out and sure enough the big less aggressive fish started biting. Had 7 Fish in 7 casts all chowing on this school of bait.

grimsby we always seem to be a week or two ahead of the southern lakes. Water temps will easily be in the 60’s by tomorrow

DE9196C1-6393-49BE-9DF7-E3683ABC1729.jpeg

6 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

I’m not good enough to identify baitish.

i figured it out this morning...just had to sort through and sting all the dinks lol

found this baitball today and hit a dink...decided to wait them out and sure enough the big less aggressive fish started biting. Had 7 Fish in 7 casts all chowing on this school of bait.

grimsby we always seem to be a week or two ahead of the southern lakes. Water temps will easily be in the 60’s by tomorrow

DE9196C1-6393-49BE-9DF7-E3683ABC1729.jpeg

LOL, I couldn't identify them on that either, that appears to be a school of small fish, species unknown.

The emerald shiners here get into schools that are huge, they can be all along the breakwalls and piers just below the surface and are visible.

That's a good distance north east of me, but the same deal on the parts of Erie I fished.

I saw schools of baitfish at PAB years ago, but never anything of that size, and they seemed deeper in the body than emerald shiners.

Figured out a pattern? Great!

On 9/7/2018 at 5:35 PM, Dan668 said:

Which did you buy, i am looking for one as well. 

Anglers choice fish venting tool

and grimsby that lob largie spot was actually rocky and full of small pads and grass etc but perhaps not enough vegetation

Edited by AKRISONER

29 minutes ago, Rattletrap2 said:

Thanks Guys! I saw a couple of videos there of two completely different methods. Anyone do the method where you go through the mouth?

I think the mouth method is a bit trickier.  The bladder is longer than it is round in diameter.  I'd rather try to hit it along it's length vs. head on. The side system is so easy because you have physical markers to line up the exact location of the bladder. I've fizzed a mountain of bass and I don't feel comfortable with gullet method. Just personal opinion I guess.

• Like 1

I only used fizzing in tournament situation.

Dragging the fish to depth in a rec fishing  situation is easy.

Most are going down with no help. Picture fish usually need help.

Those fish are stiff so anything you hook on there jaw will stay until pressure relieved.

The fish will usually shake there head and be gone.

Now that I have  salt water jigs up to 6 oz  cut point off and use on a rod.

Easy

12 hours ago, Rattletrap2 said:

Thanks Guys! I saw a couple of videos there of two completely different methods. Anyone do the method where you go through the mouth?

Brian, I never fished deeper than about 25 feet for bass, but going back to my youth and perch fishing days, deep caught ones could have the air bladder showing in their gullet, so I assume it happens to bass to, a search turned up this, sort of bad sound on the first one.