Salmon gear - what and how on the cheap?

Hack_Fisherman

OK, so nothing is cheap these days. Seems like all fishing gear is up 50% over recent years. 

So the thing is my Brother wants to troll in front or in the mouth of Bronte creek. (Or anchor and cast)

All I have is medium spinning gear and a heavy weight fly rod and reel (Yet to be used)  Any thoughts  on good but realistically priced gear?

Would a muskie rod double as a salmon rod??

Edited by Hack_Fisherman

3 hours ago, Hack_Fisherman said:

Would a muskie rod double as a salmon rod??

For the type of fishing that you are contemplating, yes.

If you like it enough to start heading out in the summer with down riggers and divers, then you will want to get some specialized salmon gear.  

• Like 1

Shimano Sahara 2500 and a cheap 10ft or so pier rod is all you need.   Load it with 8lb mono and go to town for casting.

Muskie rod would definitely pull dipsys...   I dunno if I'd put it on a rigger though.

Edited by BillM
  • Like 1

Get some good used stuff.  The reel at least should be decent quality and I would opt for some 20lb braid using a variety of leaders from 10lb to full 20lb. Lighter line to fish clear water in the daytime and heavier leader in stained water or at night. Personally I go from 20lb test leader at night  and as the sun comes up I work down to 15lb. then 12lb. then 10lb. I don't go less than 10lb anymore but I used to go as low as 6lb Yozuri Hybrid fluro (it's thick line so 6lb Yozuri was similar to 8lb in other brands) but I had a Calcutta TE 401 at the time and on 6lb leader they would run away for 200 yards  OR break off my lure. AT one time I used a Fenwick Musky class rod for salmon and it did work but it was a very stout rod that required heavy leader to keep away from break offs and thus resulted in limited success in getting bit in the first place. Salmon , like Rainbow and Browns can be very line shy ( as well as temperature averse, noise averse and just plain moody).  Bronte has been both good and bad in the past but you should know that the boat launch is out of commission at Bronte so you need to launch from Oakville Creek or the lift bridge if you are running any sort of conventional boat. Kayaks, toons, canoes can launch at the beach or from the kayak dock at the eastern end of the harbour.  

• Like 1

https://www.sail.ca/en/shimano-canne-a-peche-a-la-traine-tdr-8-pi-downrigger-m-2-pcs-163651

I would suggest this rod. They can be found at BPS on sale for under $30.00 from time to time. I wouldn't cheap out on the reel though... a line counter reel is best and many like the Okuma...

HH

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Headhunter said:

https://www.sail.ca/en/shimano-canne-a-peche-a-la-traine-tdr-8-pi-downrigger-m-2-pcs-163651

I would suggest this rod. They can be found at BPS on sale for under $30.00 from time to time. I wouldn't cheap out on the reel though... a line counter reel is best and many like the Okuma...

HH

That looks like a good and economical option to get started! And it's new. :good:

• Like 1

Not sure where you live, but I have some surplus stuff - downrigger rods, a 10 foot dispey rod with a twilly tip (well used , but still functional) , and at least one level wind, no counter though.  drop me a pm and if your interested I can send some pictures through.  Most of these are the result of upgrading - or going to fishing shows in january when I haven't been on the water for 3 months and anything salmon sings to me like opiods to a junkie....... . 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, spincast said:

Not sure where you live, but I have some surplus stuff - downrigger rods, a 10 foot dispey rod with a twilly tip (well used , but still functional) , and at least one level wind, no counter though.  drop me a pm and if your interested I can send some pictures through.  Most of these are the result of upgrading - or going to fishing shows in january when I haven't been on the water for 3 months and anything salmon sings to me like opiods to a junkie....... . 

Thanks, Interested. PM sent

39 minutes ago, spincast said:

Best offer yet! Sounds like Spincast can fix you up. I don't have any salmon gear, sorry.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Hack_Fisherman said:

I just got back from vacation so the mad money is depleted. I’m hoping to get a starter-econo set up with line and some tackle for $200 give or take out the door

Sounds to me like you'd do alright with a 3000 series reel with 30lb power pro depth hunter line and a 9 foot medium heavy spinning rod.  The metered line will let you troll precisely with plugs and mini dipsys no problem. It'll be pretty versatile for casting cleos etc.  You can always just black out the last 10 feet of line with a sharpie and tie on a 15 pound fluoro leader and your all set.  Line counters are great for most trolling but if I wanted one reel for casting and trolling river mouths for under $200 it'd be a spinning combo.   You will have a lot more success if you start before the sun rises in those depths though.

Edited by porkpie
  • Like 1

I would say 90% of the fish get caught at night or early dawn at Bronte once the staging begins. Some years going out from dusk till about midnight is best other times it's a 4am to 9 am bite. Once the boats come out at 5:30 am the bite really dies off. Can't get the power boaters to incorporate stealthy quiet as part of their approach to salmon fishing in 12 to 20 feet of water. Lots of them troll around or just zoom from spot to spot casting. This activity pretty much shuts down salmon unless everything else is salmon positive like cold,stained water following a rain. Shallow water Salmon are MOODY and careless technique does not pass muster with them. They are sharp eyed cautious animals that, in spawning colour look dumb but are not dumb, they are extremely alert. Goobers blasting around in power boats don't do well and their amatuerish approach often wrecks it for everyone else on shore or in silent boats.

If you have a boat and insist on trolling in water less than 40 feet deep it's best for you and everyone around you to use a trolling motor as opposed to a gas engine. Even flatlining a casting spoon  like a Cleo or a diving stickbait works while trolling with an electric motor and you should be holding on to the rod to maximize the fun factor rather than setting up like you are fishing the blue zone with dipseys, riggers or whatever works in deep water.

Edited by Snidley
content addition
  • Like 1

On 8/27/2018 at 10:20 AM, Snidley said:

20lb braid using a variety of leaders from 10lb to full 20lb. Lighter line to fish clear water in the daytime and heavier leader in stained water or at night. Personally I go from 20lb test leader at night  and as the sun comes up I work down to 15lb. then 12lb. then 10lb.

These are my set ups . 12.6 ft Shimano Crucial Spinning Rod  with Daiwa whisker reel. 10ft Shimano Crucial spinning rod with a Quantum tour pro 20. My other is a 10ft river bait cast set up. I remove the braid once the cold weather comes and go with Raven. It makes a nice drifting set up when I want to wear mitts.  All are set up with line as said above. I find casting with the braid is much  easier and you don't get that line twisting when your drag is fighting the fish.

20 hours ago, spincast said:

:good:

Yer a good man Rick.

Edited by misfish
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Snidley said:

I would say 90% of the fish get caught at night or early dawn at Bronte once the staging begins. Some years going out from dusk till about midnight is best other times it's a 4am to 9 am bite. Once the boats come out at 5:30 am the bite really dies off. Can't get the power boaters to incorporate stealthy quiet as part of their approach to salmon fishing in 12 to 20 feet of water. Lots of them troll around or just zoom from spot to spot casting.

Not many boats come in real close at the Beaver. Floating about casting on the toon dont get much quieter. :D

9 hours ago, grimsbylander said:

Later in the fall you can drift and cast for them too. No need to troll around spookng fish or killing your batteries. Lots of salmon get caught chucking heavy spoons once they're up shallow! Power out away from the herd of boats and start a nice quiet drift. :good:

Is this usually late September? How’s the trolling in the shallow water near the lift bridge near the Skyway out along towards Hutches?

22 minutes ago, japper said:

Is this usually late September? How’s the trolling in the shallow water near the lift bridge near the Skyway out along towards Hutches?

I would expect that stretch would produce more browns than salmon at that time of year.

1 hour ago, dave524 said:

I would expect that stretch would produce more browns than salmon at that time of year.

Ya, just trying out different areas, usually fish up north but trying Lake Ontario this year for the first time, learning as I go, trying to find fish. Managed to find some mister lakers though.

6D075CB9-39CC-4AF3-94EA-8092B1416EEC.png

I just came in from the Hamilton area and the radio was warning of intensely cold water just off shore of the lift bridge and jetty. They were warning that if you fell out of a boat it could be life theatening. Right now there is a very strong west wind and that brings cold water inshore at the lift bridge. Chucking from that lift bridge pier would probably result in some hookups at dawn tomorrow. At Bronte or the rocks at the Credit what you want is a north wind to move the shore water out and the cold lake water in there.

The good news is that there is cold water out there. Some years the water is warm top to bottom and offshore winds don't help because the swapped water is still too warm for chinnies to bite well. Personally I've got my stuff ready to go and some north wind is all I need.