Cormorants Threatening inland lake fisheries?

JimCC

A healthy tourism industry can and does provide a tremendous economic value to an area and good sport fishing can and does help fuel it.  The debate over Ohio buying out the commercial walleye licenses raged on here for like 20 years.

Events happening during the 50's - 60's - 70's help the Cleveland area develop the undesired nickname of " the mistake on the lake ". It's pretty sad when the main river in your city burns?

I am older and can remember when whitetail deer here in Ohio were on the verge of becoming an endangered species. LOL the suburbs and their no hunting zones probably saved them, now they hire professional hunters to cull their numbers. In some suburban industrial parks here they grazed like cattle and stopped traffic blocking the roads, times change and the thinking has to also?

You have different laws and challenges we didn't face here, my family started going to Ontario to fish for walleye because Lake Erie was so bad you couldn't catch them here.

The current debate is over banning commercial perch netting, the economics of it seem pretty clear to me?

http://www.the-daily-record.com/sports/20061015/greed-gets-best-of-commercial-perch-industry

https://ofbf.org/2017/06/29/fishing-big-business-ohios-great-lake/

I do see a number of different challenges facing the camps there though, with the return of walleye fishing here it became harder and harder to convince people to spend the extra money in times of job loss and stagnant wages to venture north, and the need of an extra expense for passports certainly didn't help.

Too much competition for the entertainment dollar? Most of the younger generations seem to think a weekend at cedar point or kings island is more appealing than a  week in the woods? Changing times?

Scary though?