Are Black Crappie considered invasive?

Hack_Fisherman

The Crappie I caught in my youth, 50's and 60's,  were as I recall all White Crappie. I don't recall Black Crappie till I lived in Port Rowan 1973 to 75 and fished the Inner Bay at Long Point and they soon became my favourite table fare.

On 8/28/2018 at 4:31 PM, grimsbylander said:

I think the calico handle is just another slang name we Canadians are famous for. lol I had to google calico bass and they're actually a saltwater fish. :dunno:

My dad and my brother used to go to Dale Hollow lake in Kentucky/Tennessee in the 60's for spring crappie fishing, he said a lot of people there called them calico bass, I thought it was a southern thing.

I wish someone would say YES they are invasive... Then I wouldn't feel so bad harvesting a freezer full every spring when they come in to spawn. I feel bad seeing the eggs when I fillet the 12-14 inch ones I keep, but that's the only time I can seem to find them :(

On 8/29/2018 at 9:58 PM, 206 said:

I wish someone would say YES they are invasive... Then I wouldn't feel so bad harvesting a freezer full every spring when they come in to spawn. I feel bad seeing the eggs when I fillet the 12-14 inch ones I keep, but that's the only time I can seem to find them :(

You shouldn't feel too bad if you follow the limits in the regs.

yes they are invasive, for most of my time on earth there was no limit on Crappie , Perch and Sunfish,  keep your limit and eat them frequently, and catch another possession limit,  DON"T feel guiltly

Keep eating...  ;)  I still wonder how that one your daughter caught on 4ML got in there

• Like 1

this is all about as confusing as the whole jackfish, walleye, pickerel, chain pickerel, northern pike lingo crap that goes on lol.

If you go around talking about Calico bass these days and you arent talking about anything but Kelp Bass, most people are going to think you are nuts.

Theres a whole pile of guys in California that fish Kelp/calico bass and a lot of the tactics are exactly the same as fishing large/smallmouth bass. The water they fish tends to be deeper, so guys use a lot of swimbaits/underspin/jig type gear. Check out the company warbaits and their signature warblade.

On 8/28/2018 at 4:26 PM, misfish said:

They were transplanted by seagull poop. LOL

Are Calico bass  crappie? Did we make a new name for the calico? Renamed it crappie? Like walleye vs pickeral.  I remember as a kid catching use ones on GBAY. I was told they were calico bass then ?

White crappie and black crappie are two different species that are rarely identified correctly and reality in most cases doesn't matter. The name that covers both are Calico bass and Sac o lait (cajun). 

Art