Transducer problem?

Headhunter

Hey folks!

I am asking this question on behalf of my brother. He has a fishfinder' that has GPS, temp and speed. I think it's a lowrance. Recently, it is not marking bottom, but all other functions work as they are supposed to. The transducer was checked for proper location, tilt and connections, all looks right.

The unit is fairly old. Would it be a reasonable idea to simply change out the transducer? Is this the likely culprit? Ideally, he does not want to buy an entirely new unit.

Any advice appreciated!

HH

38 minutes ago, grimsbylander said:

Terry types faster than I do! lol

He,s retired thats why.

Is it possible he might of left the finder on while out of the water? I did that once and burnt out the transducer. Over heated I was told.

3 minutes ago, David Chong said:

Transducer do need to be replaced. you can test the unit with another transducer or often you can turn on your unit with the transducer out of the water and you should be able to hear if it is working!

I can hear mine clicking away on my pontoon, even a foot down in the water. :rofl2:

55 minutes ago, misfish said:

I can hear mine clicking away on my pontoon, even a foot down in the water. :rofl2:

This is a fact. It may not be necessary but if I'm largie fishing up shallow(<4') and tight to the boat(flipping docks, wood, etc.), I'll put my graphs on standby. That turns off two transducers from clicking away.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, grimsbylander said:

This is a fact. It may not be necessary but if I'm largie fishing up shallow(<4') and tight to the boat(flipping docks, wood, etc.), I'll put my graphs on standby. That turns off two transducers from clicking away.

If Im fishing largies, I don't need a finder going. ?

I just replaced a transducer on my fish finder. It wouldn't mark the temp and it showed all kinds of wacky depths. It clicked away when it wasn't working, so you can't depend on that as a sign that the transducer is shot. The new transducer fixed everything.

Update... he can hear the transducer pinging in the driveway. The main unit seems to be running rather warm, it's warm to the touch.

He did contact the folks in Woodstock, Angling Specialties and it looks like a new unit is in order.

Thanks to all who chimed in.

HH