Marine grade plywood

Rattletrap2

15 minutes ago, misfish said:

If you seal the plywood PROPERLY, it will last years Mr.B. I did my own floors years back if you remember . The boat is still the same with the new owner.

x2

Use a outdoor plywood from HD and a good 2 part epoxy and call it a day.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rattletrap2 said:

Thanks B, but other than the cost being 3 times as much, I don't see where you can buy marine grade locally. I doubt it is available at HD and such?

I think you'll find the smaller urban centres (i.e. Georgetown) lumber yards more accommodating in bringing in special orders such as MG plywood? I helped a lake neighbour source MG in Parry Sound earlier this year. Both Rona & Home Hardware Building Centre were more than happy to special order without surcharges. We went with HH as their delivery was only 5 days as it was added to an incoming stock order. 
I didn't call by phone, I visited both stores to inquire. It's too easy to say "no" over the phone ;)

Edit to add: You will still need2 part epoxy to seal cut/trimmed exposed wood & those sheets are extra heavy  

Edited by Pikeslayer

I’m not sure where you’re located but I bought some a few years back at Monaghan Lumber near Peterborough. And I know Peacock Lumber in Oshawa carries it as well although they just had a fire there in the past week or so and don’t know how much damage was done so am not sure if they’re still open. It’s not cheap but if you’re doing it once you might as well do it right in my opinion. 

Unless you are actually building a hull with plywood you are wasting money buying marine plywood for things like floor or transom replacement, the difference is in the quality of the veneers not  longevity. Even then there is quite a bit of difference in various so called marine plywoods.  https://www.woodenboat.com/marine-plywood

Before deciding on marine plywood, I'd suggest evaluating a few other things such as the overall age of the boat and how long he wants to keep it. I had the same look on my face when my 82 year old neighbour paid a premium for 50 year shingles <_< lol

The boat is a 1980, ok...what about everything else? Motor? The flooring should be the longest lasting item on a boat from a cost perspective. Properly sealed plywood or pressure treated(under carpet) might just outlast the rest of a 1980 boat...and save him some money. jmho Good luck!

10 hours ago, Steve Piggott said:

Three-quarter inch poly plastic never have to do it againKIMG0325.jpg

I have been giving some thought to going the poly route. Now that I've seen it done, I think I will investigate a little further. Where did you buy the sheets?

The poly is a great way to go, but its a lot heavier than wood. Its gotta be close to twice as heavy? Great idea though, and one I have been considering for quite some time. I have a source for it, but its not cheap....at all.  Looks great steve!! 

S. 

3 hours ago, Steve Piggott said:

The weight of the wood that I removed was the same as the poly

Yeah, I guess when you compare waterlogged, soft plywood it would be comparable, but a full 4x8 sheet of 3/4" poly is much heavier than plywood. Its a great way to go though, it certainly won't get heavier. I have been considering the same as a I have a good source for it. 

4x8x3/4" plywood is 70lbs

4x8x3/4 HDPE is 120lbs

S. 

Edited by Sinker