Interesting article on invasive 'Chain Pickerel'

KawarthaAngler

My uncle has a place less than 2 hours from keji and his lake is full of them along with smallmouth bass.. used to be a good trout lake at one time but they are long gone.. I swear there are northern pike in there as well but all the locals call them pickerel..

As a kid 50 years ago we would sometimes get the diminutive Grass Pickerel in the Welland River, they are a true pickerel but top out at about 10 inches or so in length. Back when the MNR was called the Dept of Lands and Forests, Yellow Pickerel was the name used in the fishing regs with dore , walleyed pike and just walleye listed as other common names.  Walleye was actually a name  picked by a group of Biologists in the 30's to avoid confusion  with true pickerel.

• 2 weeks later...

We have a lot pickerel down here - when I was a kid I would catch a lot of them using life minnows - the one thing about them is the meat is real light and very good eating ounce you get rid of the bones - they definitely taste better that a northern but because they don't get as big the bones are a pain

Thats not a good thing for Keji.  For those that don't know the park, its like the Algonquin of NS.  Its a cooler climate there so the lakes can be shallow, are tea stained and would look like good pike/bass habitat except that they are mostly trout lakes, with nice wild brookies. Chain pickerel will impact those lakes to a degree, although they are full of small perch too so there is alternate forage..