lake infested with goldfish

kickingfrog

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/pinecrest-lake-residents-goldfish-infestation-1.4785714

B.C. lake infested with hundreds of goldfish just months after pets released into wild.

Some goldfish in Pinecrest Lake are now as large as 13 centimetres, says invasive species expert.

Residents of a small B.C. lakeside community say they're dealing with a goldfish infestation after someone dumped their unwanted pets in the water.

Pinecrest Lake, which is located about halfway between Squamish and Whistler, had no goldfish in its waters last year — but now they number in the hundreds, according to the Sea to Sky Invasive Species Council.

"People have been observing schools of 30 to 40 fish schooling together at a time. They vary in sizes, some small, some up to five inches [13 centimetres] big," said Clare Greenberg, the council's executive director.

Greenberg said the goldfish, the smallest member of the carp family, were released in the lake in the spring or early summer, and were likely placed in the area by well-meaning pet owners. 

"We're kinda choked," said nearby resident Mary Brown. "We were like, what do we do now?"

14 minutes ago, bigugli said:

Sounds like the L Erie shoreline. Summer cottagers buy goldfish and Koi when they open their cottages, then dump them into the lake when they close their cottages in the fall.

wonder what the ruling would be if you were to catch one.  similar to gobies?

13 hours ago, bigugli said:

Sounds like the L Erie shoreline. Summer cottagers buy goldfish and Koi when they open their cottages, then dump them into the lake when they close their cottages in the fall.

Wow.  I can't imagine why anyone would even think that's a good idea to do.  You shake your head.

I have seen them in Lake Erie since I was a little kid, never saw any small ones though, some had to be 2 pounds or so. There is a canal that wanders through the southeast side of Cleveland, parts of it maybe in the Cuyahoga Valley National Park, and I believe it empties into the Cuyahoga river which empties into Lake Erie. When we were real little my dad used to take us there fishing for them, it was loaded with them.

A soft ray fish, at least the smaller ones, a two - three pound largie isn't going too have much trouble munching one, and their coloration makes it sort of difficult for them to hide?

Ya, it seems like a bad plan to be releasing fish not native to the waters into them! Given the prolific spawning rate of some of those carp species I have wondered many sport fish are eating the young ones in Lake Erie.

Years ago my brother took me to a riding stable that had a pond about 1 - 1/2 acres and it was loaded with them. I doubt if there was any water in it deeper than 8 -- 10 feet, and they seem to survive the winters here well. The parts of that canal I mentioned earlier were even shallower than that, my dad used to net crayfish there and I saw him walk all the way across in chest waders, there may have been deeper spots in it though.

I googled the lake, if it is the one I found it is some deed restricted , gated community in ski country, uber rich folks I assume and they don't even allow fishing in their  "Lake" .  Probably released from some garden pond in the fall. Hope the goldfish breed rampantly with a large stinking die off every spring Yeah,  maybe I am getting to be a grumpy old man.

If the lake is near other waterbodies, just purge it. No sense risking ruining other lakes.

I remember gramps telling stories of buying a dozen goldfish from the pet store to use as pike /muskie bait. Times have changed.

Edited by Sterling

4 hours ago, dave524 said:

I googled the lake, if it is the one I found it is some deed restricted , gated community in ski country, uber rich folks I assume and they don't even allow fishing in their  "Lake" .  Probably released from some garden pond in the fall. Hope the goldfish breed rampantly with a large stinking die off every spring Yeah,  maybe I am getting to be a grumpy old man.

https://www.hookandbullet.com/fishing-pinecrest-lake-garibaldi-bc/

It appears to be a public lake.

28 minutes ago, OhioFisherman said:

my bad, must be more than 1.   I see red with things like residents have exclusive access  and no fishing........https://www.lakelubbers.com/pinecrest-lake-1503/

Edited by dave524

35 minutes ago, dave524 said:

my bad, must be more than 1.   I see red with things like residents have exclusive access  and no fishing........https://www.lakelubbers.com/pinecrest-lake-1503/

Dave, just throwing it out there, that might also be a different lake. One of the lakes I fished in western NY was a different sort of setup. It was semi private, property owners owned most, if not all of the land it was on. Monday - Friday you could launch a boat at a public ramp, the weekends and I believe also on holidays the ramp was closed. The only other boat launch was at a private campground on the lake and you had to be staying there to launch your boat. The property owners had some kind of agreement with the state allowing for limited public access in exchange for lake maintenance. 

As I understood it NY had a luxury tax on lakefront property, like 25% of the purchase price? and the annual property taxes on those old lakefront homes seemed outrageous to me. People were buying 2-3-4 homes adjacent to each other and tearing them down and building lakefront mansions.

• Like 1

It's easy to mix up lakes, especially here in Ontario!! I was speaking to a client yesterday that has a cottage on a small lake between Gravenhurst and Arnprior  (:whistling:) ...it now has a secretively good musky population because years ago, the MNR stocked it with musky after confusing it with another lake of the same name!!  

8 hours ago, TheKawarthaAngler said:

Nope.  They are not tropical (which is salt water), they are fresh water and pretty resilient.

Tropical refers to climate; not whether they are fresh or salt water.  Regardless, gold fish are not tropical by either definition.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tropical_fish

Edited by John Bacon