Floating lines for steelhead floating fishing

Sharkbait22

I have bought two spools of Bloodrun in the past.  The first spool was great but the second spool not so. The line digs in to the reel every time I catch a fish.  So afterwards I need to pull a bunch of line off and then reel it back in.  #10 test.   Is this typical? Any other brands a might try?  Prefer low vis line. Thanks in advance for your input. 

Edited by Sharkbait22
wording

4 hours ago, Sharkbait22 said:

I have bought two spools of Bloodrun in the past.  The first spool was great but the second spool not so. The line digs in to the reel every time I catch a fish.  So afterwards I need to pull a bunch of line off and then reel it back in.  #10 test.   Is this typical? Any other brands a might try?  Prefer low vis line. Thanks in advance for your input. 

Really depends on how much pressure you're putting on that fish.   You'll get dig in with any line.   Anytime I land one, next cast is a bomber to avoid exactly this.    Even worse with braid.

I run 6-8lb Nano or 8lb Fireline Crystal on my setups.   Casts a mile, mends good and hero drifts all day long, lol.

13 minutes ago, BillM said:

Really depends on how much pressure you're putting on that fish.   You'll get dig in with any line.   Anytime I land one, next cast is a bomber to avoid exactly this.    Even worse with braid.

I run 6-8lb Nano or 8lb Fireline Crystal on my setups.   Casts a mile, mends good and hero drifts all day long, lol.

I was staying away from saying the hero drift thing Bill. Long drift.LOL

Not much pressure on fish. Somtimes the fish are small residents. 

Yes floating line.  Very nice to use. Easy to mend/manage and quick to strike. 

I might try P-line Hydro. My eyes could use the help anyway but I'm not a fan of adding another section of clear mono for the split shot. 

The fact that no one else seems to have this issue might mean I got a bad spool of line or it was damaged (deet). 

10 hours ago, Snidley said:

I thought you asked about floating line. I use P-line Hydro Float 15lb or maybe 20lb, floating braid in high viz yellow. The  ONLY mainline option in my book .

I started with Hydro. Hated it. I just learned to keep the rod tip up and line contact with the float. Much better hook sets as well.

Edited by misfish

7 hours ago, OhioFisherman said:

LOL Dave, you may have some years on me, I had to look it up!

Dad was a very good tournament caster in the late 40's , both fly and baitcasting accuracy. I learned to cast very early in life with silk fly lines and old Shakespeare/Inglis or Langley direct drive knuckle buster bait casters. Lots of casting skish in the backyard.

Edited by dave524
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, dave524 said:

Dad was a very good tournament caster in the late 40's , both fly and baitcasting accuracy. I learned to cast very early in life with silk fly lines and old Shakespeare/Inglis or Langley direct drive knuckle buster bait casters. Lots of casting skish in the backyard.

Yep, Langley reels I think those were the only baitcasters my dad owned until the 60's, they are what i learned on too. My uncle that lived upstairs with my grandparents went into the navy around 1957 and was in the Mediterranean picked up a couple of mitchell 300's and sent my dad one, then I learned on a spinning reel.