tents that attach to your vehicle

kickingfrog

I have a napier suv 82000 tent. I enjoy it for car-camping for versatility. It is meant for use with SUV, it's not one that uses a pick-up truck bed.

It can function as a stand-alone tent. Then it has a sleeve that can wrap around an open SUV hatch. It can be tightened to keep the bugs out, even has a screen door if there are bugs.

Pros:

- you can sleep in the car, or sleep in the tent; the tent feels so much roomier with the suv attached; the tent can function as a stand-alone tent by zipping up the sleeve and driving away; its much easier to grab stuff from the car when you don't need to go outside; if a bear comes you can jump in the car; its a nice tent even without the connection - i've slept 4 comfortably, and i can stand up easily inside.

Cons:

- you cannot leave the car running; you have to let the exhaust cool before putting the sleeve on; there is chance bugs can wiggle through the sleeve or come in from the suv; it can be difficult to park the car in the exact location if you want to reconnect the car after leaving; takes a little longer to set up; quite a large and heavy tent

Edited by riddickulous
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, riddickulous said:

I have a napier suv 82000 tent. I enjoy it for car-camping for versatility. It is meant for use with SUV, it's not one that uses a pick-up truck bed.

It can function as a stand-alone tent. Then it has a sleeve that can wrap around an open SUV hatch. It can be tightened to keep the bugs out, even has a screen door if there are bugs.

Pros:

- you can sleep in the car, or sleep in the tent; the tent feels so much roomier with the suv attached; the tent can function as a stand-alone tent by zipping up the sleeve and driving away; its much easier to grab stuff from the car when you don't need to go outside; if a bear comes you can jump in the car; its a nice tent even without the connection - i've slept 4 comfortably, and i can stand up easily inside.

Cons:

- you cannot leave the car running; you have to let the exhaust cool before putting the sleeve on; there is chance bugs can wiggle through the sleeve or come in from the suv; it can be difficult to park the car in the exact location if you want to reconnect the car after leaving; takes a little longer to set up; quite a large and heavy tent

Pretty much sums it up! I used it mainly to get dressed as I could stand up & to unload all the crap out of the car for day trips. My bed was in the back of my Rav4 so I left the rear door open all night for air flow, no issues with bugs or rain! It would run down my roof under the sleeve then channel around the door, the bottom of the sleeve has drain holes, no issues. Re-attaching the car wasn't a problem after the first few failed attempts, you figure it out pretty quickly.

Now would I buy one? short answer is yes,  because of the lady friend, on my own I'd say no. That one for the back of the pick up looks bitchn though 

Edited by ckewley

On 8/15/2018 at 10:50 PM, kickingfrog said:

How much space would be between the wheel wells in a pick-up?

Depends on the truck, full size vs mid size.  I know you can sleep 2 adults in a mid size as I've done it.  The tent I posted is $400 or $450?  That price range at least pre tax... 

3 hours ago, GBW said:

Depends on the truck, full size vs mid size.  I know you can sleep 2 adults in a mid size as I've done it.  The tent I posted is $400 or $450?  That price range at least pre tax... 

Comical to think of these 2 adults sleeping in the back of a truckbed. 

36500026463_92ea574d5e_b.jpg

Edited by kickingfrog
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, woodenboater said:

I've always jonesed for something like these. Basspro used to sell something similar but there's nothing on their site now. Not great if you plan to move often so pretty well basecamp I think.

http://dingodoza.com.au

I think Nissan had something similar a few years ago but the price I saw was thousands of dollars and I can't see any reason to pay a premium to be off the ground. 

I call this the RogMahal!!?

Used it several times and it has worked awesome, even in torrential downpour  

Sleep in the van, high and dry.  Use the main tent for dressing, guests and my coffee maker and fan?  Use the side entrance to keep other stuff dry.   Love it!  Paid for itself after the  first trip!

The van disattaches in seconds if you need to go somewhere and the tent can be used standalone.        

2A12A20C-997F-4864-8FD6-2B69396FD8A7.jpeg

2B7B9916-89F5-4028-8B59-C3333CA8522A.jpeg

83DCD761-CA8F-4023-BEC4-B3906E9C3A1B.jpeg

22AA7CBB-8C92-407D-B667-28AC5FF217D2.jpeg

92167796-F48B-4F1E-A04C-E81551CACD44.jpeg

C06ED085-B416-4332-8B14-4030855324F0.jpeg

5C950D77-2242-4F7C-8C20-B974E6011D0F.jpeg