tents that attach to your vehicle

kickingfrog

We're getting a new vehicle and you can get a tent that attaches to the hatch at the back. My first thought is that a good tent is better than anything that attaches to the back but thought I'd see what the gang here has experienced. How is the seal around the hatch? I'd think it would be a possible mosquito issue?

From what I've seen, most people that use those tents still have a separate tent for storage, changing, etc. and just use the vehicle tent for sleeping. Personally, I have had a few uncomfortable and damp nights in a tent and like the idea of being up off the ground if it's raining. I'm older now too and getting spoiled! lol I'd consider getting an additional, cheaper utility tent and investigating decent vehicle tent as well. Asking about the setup effort is important just in case you need the vehicle during the day though to me, 10 minutes of setup is worth not sleeping on the ground.

when I used to fish a lot of back lakes up north we did a couple nights in the back of a pick up using a Napier truck tent. It's very useful when backroading and flat camp ground areas are non existent. We just parked at the end of the road, launched the canoe and set the tent up on the truck bed. My buddy paid under $200 if I remember for his tent I think he bought his off Amazon. It was a bit better sleeping up off the ground especially in bear country.

55 minutes ago, Fang said:

when I used to fish a lot of back lakes up north we did a couple nights in the back of a pick up using a Napier truck tent. It's very useful when backroading and flat camp ground areas are non existent. We just parked at the end of the road, launched the canoe and set the tent up on the truck bed. My buddy paid under $200 if I remember for his tent I think he bought his off Amazon. It was a bit better sleeping up off the ground especially in bear country.

Exactly what I am looking for Paul.

I bought one of those SUV tent a few years ago thinking it was a great idea. I never ended up using it. It's a dust collector. I bought a tent trailer directly after. Sold it for a before one. Then yoloed leased property bought a 26' camper and I'm building a cabin. I suggest just skip tent and camper stage and go straight to a cabin haha

12 hours ago, huzzsaba said:

The bigger question in my opinion is what car are you looking to get?  You may be able to sleep in the car if its a bigger size suv or van.

The worst thing they did was get rid of the bench seat in the front of pickups, slept on that bench quite a few times steelheading and duck hunting and pickups had 2 doors and eight foot boxes.

8 hours ago, kickingfrog said:

Nissan pathfinder.

Very nice. I used to drive a 4Runner and this size truck is great for running down fire roads into back lakes. Mind you, this was before 4 wheelers were popular. Slept in the back of that truck more than once....once even while fishing! lol

13 hours ago, misfish said:

Some of you guys miss the whole camping out thing in the 21 century. :rofl2:

Not me pal.  I've camped everywhere, including some really remote spots.  Unless my kids specifically ask to camp, no way I'm sleeping in a tent again lol.