Hot outside and so is the fishing (BROOK TROUT)

sparky302

21 minutes ago, SirCranksalot said:

Hi Kurt,

I am amazed that you could catch under those conds. What were the water temps like, surface or at trolling depth The only success I have had in the summer was quite late in the evening, near dusk.

Water surface temp was 75 F .I drop temp gauge down and find 52-54 f.I have caught brook trout all times of the day. 

2 hours ago, SirCranksalot said:

Hi Kurt,

I am amazed that you could catch under those conds. What were the water temps like, surface or at trolling depth The only success I have had in the summer was quite late in the evening, near dusk.

Like Sparky I'm a big fan of using gang trolls for trout. I use the 48" 7 blade Big Hammer for summer Lakers, and smaller ones like in the video for Specks and Bows on inland lakes. The bottom line is that they call in fish from a much greater distance and then once fish get closer the flash from all the blades further enhances the illusion of a school of baitfish. Once you find the cool water depth, trolling covers so much more of the lake and your lure is always in prime depth as opposed to casting. If we catch a fish then we'll circle back and redo the run.

Sparky those are nice trout for sure. Well done, I bet it took a good while for your your smile to go away after that venture. I have lot's of gang trolls, but I never had one with Chartreuse beads. I take it you like that one, do you find it makes a difference? Also, have you ever tried a ford fender gang troll? It can be run at a bit slower speed to get more depth on those deepest sections of the lake with more thump than the willowleaf blade.

Cheers

6 hours ago, smitty55 said:

Like Sparky I'm a big fan of using gang trolls for trout. I use the 48" 7 blade Big Hammer for summer Lakers, and smaller ones like in the video for Specks and Bows on inland lakes. The bottom line is that they call in fish from a much greater distance and then once fish get closer the flash from all the blades further enhances the illusion of a school of baitfish. Once you find the cool water depth, trolling covers so much more of the lake and your lure is always in prime depth as opposed to casting. If we catch a fish then we'll circle back and redo the run.

Sparky those are nice trout for sure. Well done, I bet it took a good while for your your smile to go away after that venture. I have lot's of gang trolls, but I never had one with Chartreuse beads. I take it you like that one, do you find it makes a difference? Also, have you ever tried a ford fender gang troll? It can be run at a bit slower speed to get more depth on those deepest sections of the lake with more thump than the willowleaf blade.

Cheers

Yes i have run the bigger blade gang trolls also as for depth i fish max 30 feet most fish are in the 17-25 ft range.I have gang trolls with orange or with green they both work very well also.As for speed i troll @1,4 to 1.7 mph.

1 hour ago, SirCranksalot said:

Thx, guys. How do you know your troll/bait is at the right depth i.e. the right temp?

I use line counter reel and or i will bounce bottom in 15-17 feet and then reel up just a hair to get correct depth most lakes i fish are rock bottom so you don;t need to worry about weeds getting on tackle.

On 8/13/2018 at 8:57 AM, SirCranksalot said:

Thx, guys. How do you know your troll/bait is at the right depth i.e. the right temp?

I run the bigger gang trolls on lead core. Each colour gets you down about 5 ft....maybe a bit more with the big thumpers.....but its a good way to repeat the same presentation. Pretty basic set up, but its worth its weight....caught me lots of trout. 

S. 

I carry a selection of keel weights.  Start light (1 oz) and go heavier as needed (usually don't need more than 2)  like curt said, I've never had to go deeper than 20 feet down for summer brookies.  I also try to only fish cooler darker windier days.