Jump to content

sparky302

Hot outside and so is the fishing (BROOK TROUT)

Recommended Posts

Well this morning was foggy as you can see in my video with moisture all over the lens on the way into the lake and the humid air made it even hotter in the canoe but it paid off the brook trout were hungry.

 

 

20180808_101815_resized.jpg

20180808_125005_resized.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Awesome video, Curt.  I agree summer brookies are a lot a easier than what a lot of people seem to think.  Do you just run a pinched worm behind that small gang troll?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Kurt,

I am amazed that you could catch under those conds. What were the water temps like, surface or at trolling depth The only success I have had in the summer was quite late in the evening, near dusk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, SirCranksalot said:

Hi Kurt,

I am amazed that you could catch under those conds. What were the water temps like, surface or at trolling depth The only success I have had in the summer was quite late in the evening, near dusk.

Water surface temp was 75 F .I drop temp gauge down and find 52-54 f.I have caught brook trout all times of the day. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SirCranksalot said:

Hi Kurt,

I am amazed that you could catch under those conds. What were the water temps like, surface or at trolling depth The only success I have had in the summer was quite late in the evening, near dusk.

Like Sparky I'm a big fan of using gang trolls for trout. I use the 48" 7 blade Big Hammer for summer Lakers, and smaller ones like in the video for Specks and Bows on inland lakes. The bottom line is that they call in fish from a much greater distance and then once fish get closer the flash from all the blades further enhances the illusion of a school of baitfish. Once you find the cool water depth, trolling covers so much more of the lake and your lure is always in prime depth as opposed to casting. If we catch a fish then we'll circle back and redo the run.

Sparky those are nice trout for sure. Well done, I bet it took a good while for your your smile to go away after that venture. I have lot's of gang trolls, but I never had one with Chartreuse beads. I take it you like that one, do you find it makes a difference? Also, have you ever tried a ford fender gang troll? It can be run at a bit slower speed to get more depth on those deepest sections of the lake with more thump than the willowleaf blade.

 

Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, smitty55 said:

Like Sparky I'm a big fan of using gang trolls for trout. I use the 48" 7 blade Big Hammer for summer Lakers, and smaller ones like in the video for Specks and Bows on inland lakes. The bottom line is that they call in fish from a much greater distance and then once fish get closer the flash from all the blades further enhances the illusion of a school of baitfish. Once you find the cool water depth, trolling covers so much more of the lake and your lure is always in prime depth as opposed to casting. If we catch a fish then we'll circle back and redo the run.

Sparky those are nice trout for sure. Well done, I bet it took a good while for your your smile to go away after that venture. I have lot's of gang trolls, but I never had one with Chartreuse beads. I take it you like that one, do you find it makes a difference? Also, have you ever tried a ford fender gang troll? It can be run at a bit slower speed to get more depth on those deepest sections of the lake with more thump than the willowleaf blade.

 

Cheers

Yes i have run the bigger blade gang trolls also as for depth i fish max 30 feet most fish are in the 17-25 ft range.I have gang trolls with orange or with green they both work very well also.As for speed i troll @1,4 to 1.7 mph.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, you were able to drag all of this equipment, canoe, motor, battery, fish equipment through the woods? How did you do that? Did you have to walk far?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SirCranksalot said:

Thx, guys. How do you know your troll/bait is at the right depth i.e. the right temp?

 

I use line counter reel and or i will bounce bottom in 15-17 feet and then reel up just a hair to get correct depth most lakes i fish are rock bottom so you don;t need to worry about weeds getting on tackle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, mamona said:

Wow, you were able to drag all of this equipment, canoe, motor, battery, fish equipment through the woods? How did you do that? Did you have to walk far?

I use atv but sometimes its 3-4 trips walking 1/4 mile carrying gear to lake.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/13/2018 at 8:57 AM, SirCranksalot said:

Thx, guys. How do you know your troll/bait is at the right depth i.e. the right temp?

 

I run the bigger gang trolls on lead core. Each colour gets you down about 5 ft....maybe a bit more with the big thumpers.....but its a good way to repeat the same presentation. Pretty basic set up, but its worth its weight....caught me lots of trout. 

 

S. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I carry a selection of keel weights.  Start light (1 oz) and go heavier as needed (usually don't need more than 2)  like curt said, I've never had to go deeper than 20 feet down for summer brookies.  I also try to only fish cooler darker windier days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Similar Topics

    • carp fishing kawartha lakes/London area.

      Hello, thanks for letting me join. I’m from England but I’m coming out to Canada, Ontario for 2 weeks in September. It’s not a fishing holiday but some fishing will definitely be happening. Has anyone got any advice on areas I should visit to try and catch a better carp as when I was out before caught lots of smaller ones so wanted to try and get one over 20lb! Also advice on what licences I need would be great. we are staying a few days in London, then travelling to the kawartha lakes area

      in General Discussion

    • Fishing the Yukon June 2019

      We have been to the Yukon several times but Alaska was new. My wife Leslie, hurt her back on an ATV ride in to a remote lake so that stopped fishing for about a week. We only fished together 2 days of the nine days in the Yukon. She insisted I do an overnighter alone so I got an extra two days in. Climate change is messing things up...they only had four inches of snow all winter and most of that was in April. One lake was so low that most of the pike habitat was dry

      in General Discussion

    • Kingston area eastern Lake Ontario salmon/trout fishing

      I used to run 27' boat out of Whitby trolling for Lake Ontario salmon and rainbow trout each summer, and I have been missing it. I moved just north of Kingston a dozen years ago and have concentrated on back lakes bass since then. When I was in Whitby, I could tell you exactly what week the salmon would appear, in what locations and at what depth the best fishing would be. Seldom got skunked if the fish were around. I am thinking of upgrading my 14' tin boat to something that could han

      in General Discussion

    • New toy, for when I am not fishing *NF*

      So a lot has happened in the past 6 years for me and now here I am.  By that I mean a newer relationship and new hobbies too.  Yes I still fish as often as I can (I just don't share my findings now) but my old passion to ride is back.  Today I finally got my own 'bike'. It's a 2015 Yamaha FZ-07 with less than 1600KM on it and it's mint AND has the upgraded Hindel exhaust!  Time to ride to my spots  

      in General Discussion

    • Bonnechere PP boating and fishing

      Howdy!  I was lucky enough to find a last minute trip to Bonnechere PP. Been dying to get out and fish! I've never been here, does anyone have experience fishing there? It looks like there is a river that runs through the park that dumps into round lake. I have a zodiac with a 9.9 Are motors allowed on the river, or do I need to launch somewhere else?

      in General Discussion

×
×
  • Create New...