Pointe au Baril info

Boyd

In roughly a month four of us are heading to PAB for four days at Rock Pine Resort. Hopefully the dreadful fires will be history by then. If any of you would be so kind as to pass along any info regarding locations or tactics for Sturgeon Bay or near the Shawanaga River we would be very greatful. We are targeting bass and walleye but any hook up won't be refused. 

Thanks

Weird that you posted this, I called Rock Pines this morning to find info on the fires as I'm headed up early Sept and was told the fires are about 40kms north. When are you headed up? 

As for fish locations, bass both SMB and LMB aren't that hard to find there. Walleye are a bit more challenging, they seem to be from my experience there spread out in the basin. If you can find some bait they won't be far away. We have had better luck for eyes night fishing. 

Thanks Musky... heading up Sept 12 thru to the Sunday.  Some other info I gleaned suggested Shawanga River past the bay, but that's a fairly good haul from Rock Pines. That info suggested worms/ minnows on a jig fished on the bottom in the morning. However they were talking October fishing. 

1 hour ago, Boyd said:

Thanks Musky... heading up Sept 12 thru to the Sunday.  Some other info I gleaned suggested Shawanga River past the bay, but that's a fairly good haul from Rock Pines. That info suggested worms/ minnows on a jig fished on the bottom in the morning. However they were talking October fishing. 

Actually it  isn't that far of a run from Rock Pines to the river, I used to do it as a kid in a 14 aluminum with a 5 hp motor, of course it's a lot faster with a bigger motor. LOL, fish for bass, my PB walleye came from there slow rolling a spinnerbait in September.

It's been a very long time since I have been there, close to 30 years, no idea what the water levels are like, but cover some water, lot of areas there that will hold fish.

I was at Sturgeon Point PP three weeks ago. Water was very warm and didn't catch a single fish. Fished from Sturgeon Bay out towards main channel heading to Georgian Bay.  Nice area to bomb around in though. Made it out to the Light House for a peek. Never seen so many Boston Whalers before. Good luck

9 hours ago, OhioFisherman said:

Actually it  isn't that far of a run from Rock Pines to the river, I used to do it as a kid in a 14 aluminum with a 5 hp motor, of course it's a lot faster with a bigger motor. LOL, fish for bass, my PB walleye came from there slow rolling a spinnerbait in September.

It's been a very long time since I have been there, close to 30 years, no idea what the water levels are like, but cover some water, lot of areas there that will hold fish.

Thanks so much OhioFisherman. Does Pentecost Island hold smallies at the mouth of the river by any chance? A historical article I found here:

http://www.skerryvore.ca/memories.htm

seems to lean that way. It is a lot of water to  cover which can be intimidating. Although we should stick to tried and true methods for LM and SM just hoping for decent weather and good water levels.

8 hours ago, floater said:

I was at Sturgeon Point PP three weeks ago. Water was very warm and didn't catch a single fish. Fished from Sturgeon Bay out towards main channel heading to Georgian Bay.  Nice area to bomb around in though. Made it out to the Light House for a peek. Never seen so many Boston Whalers before. Good luck

Hey floater thanks. Won't be heading that far out lol. Although that channel north of Barclay Island looks like a bass magnet area. Hopefully we can navigate that and save time heading to the river. I have been perusing the Navionics web app and all appears to be good water as long as you pay attention and act responsible. Haven't had good LM fishing since I flew into Boleau about five years back. Arms got sore there lol.

Edited by Boyd
text disappeared

An interesting article Boyd, that helped to explain the Cleveland connection to that area, I was always surprised at the number of Ohio license plates we saw in the area there.

We started going there around 1964 and I continued going there until 1989, situations change and I didn't have the time and family responsibilities, I would still be going there if I could, it is a beautiful area, with a lot of water to fish.

Them dang fish can be tricky! Water, weather can change and the darn things can move! Bad weather can make it uncomfortable for the fisherman to go out, but we spent a week one September cold and wet most of the week and had some good fishing.

There are like 1001 areas there capable of holding smallies, Pentecost Island is just one, and they may not be there 24/7, any rocky area, point, transition area might hold them, and there are so many. Even back in the old days you could look like a hero one day and the fish moved the next, a top water bite disappeared, and some days live bait seemed to be the only thing that worked.

That channel north of Barclay's Island? We assigned kids name to some, we called it the Christopher. It has - had a very rocky area towards the far end, we basically avoided using it, the other Kitslano, we called it the Winona channel is much safer. There is a reef going across to the river and changing water levels and wind could make it tricky to see at times.

13 hours ago, Boyd said:

We will be up there the weekend before you. I've haven't had that great of luck in the river in the summer for eyes, but there are fish there. Decent bass fishing in there. The river is surprisingly big once you get into it. Also if you do decide to go into the river, just before you enter where it opens up inside, there is a Massive rock in the middle of the channel. You must stay to the left closer to the shore.  

12 hours ago, OhioFisherman said:

Actually it  isn't that far of a run from Rock Pines to the river

OhioFisherman is right, it really isn't that far. From Rock Pines it's a good 5 min ride in my boat and I have a 25hp tiller. The light house area is also good for SMB too, and it's not that far either. Its about the same distance from Rock Pines as Shawanaga although the wind can make it challenging to fish out there. 

Edited by Musky Plug

Mid September can be a very tough time to fish. Walleye you might fluke into a few jigging the basin, but it’s still to early to fish the river for eyes. There might be some residents but if you aren’t looking to just catch, go after bass and pike.You’ll know how to fish dependent on how the weather has been. This year it’s been hot and the standard jerkbait, topwater stuff isn’t working. 

If you arent getting them topwater that means you you need to go fish 15-30 fow and drop shot shoals.

LM can be found inside of brignall banks you won’t find em west of it. 

If the weather cools down you will have an incredible time once you solve the puzzle, it might take a day.

what musky said, there’s a shoal in the middle of the river be

Edited by AKRISONER

" LM can be found inside of brignall banks you won’t find em west of it. "

I will agree with that, any you do catch are flukes, don't depend or intend to catch them. Also what Musky said about the shallow spot in the narrows in the river. Once you get past the narrows the river opens up and looks like a lake, there was even a couple of areas that looked good for l/m bass, that was basically a waste of time, in 25 years or so we might have caught 2 smallish ones.

The river ( lake portion ) has some pretty deep water in it, and I did catch summer walleye there, but spring and fall were better, no spring experience myself, family and friends, never there before the bass opener myself.

Whitson Rock.png

4 hours ago, OhioFisherman said:

That channel north of Barclay's Island? We assigned kids name to some, we called it the Christopher. It has - had a very rocky area towards the far end, we basically avoided using it, the other Kitslano, we called it the Winona channel is much safer. There is a reef going across to the river and changing water levels and wind could make it tricky to see at times.

Wow you fellas are like Xmas morning with all the info  lol. Is that shoal Whitson Rock by any means OhioFisherman? I'll try to paste a map to this post, hope it works. Whitson is sitting in that saddle of white straight out from the river mouth.

Edited by Boyd

4 hours ago, Musky Plug said:

We will be up there the weekend before you. I've haven't had that great of luck in the river in the summer for eyes, but there are fish there. Decent bass fishing in there. The river is surprisingly big once you get into it. Also if you do decide to go into the river, just before you enter where it opens up inside, there is a Massive rock in the middle of the channel. You must stay to the left closer to the shore.  

OhioFisherman is right, it really isn't that far. From Rock Pines it's a good 5 min ride in my boat and I have a 25hp tiller. The light house area is also good for SMB too, and it's not that far either. Its about the same distance from Rock Pines as Shawanaga although the wind can make it challenging to fish out there. 

Wow nice tip Musky Plug, I would have been looking for the wall on the north shore and probably sheared a pin. I seem to have misplaced my map where I marked the lighthouse, was it just off Rasberry Island? One of our group is a little DEEP WATER PHOBIC , so I'm not gonna raise his heart rate if I don't have to. lol  Just about forgot... have you fished the bay in the river to the north or Lost Lake?

Edited by Boyd

4 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

Mid September can be a very tough time to fish. Walleye you might fluke into a few jigging the basin, but it’s still to early to fish the river for eyes. There might be some residents but if you aren’t looking to just catch, go after bass and pike.You’ll know how to fish dependent on how the weather has been. This year it’s been hot and the standard jerkbait, topwater stuff isn’t working. 

If you arent getting them topwater that means you you need to go fish 15-30 fow and drop shot shoals.

If the weather cools down you will have an incredible time once you solve the puzzle, it might take a day.

what musky said, there’s a shoal in the middle of the river be

AKRISONER thanks so much. Love to topwater, just finding that cadence that they want gives me grief. Have you fished up towards the Provincial Park at the north end of the bay? Was wondering how shallow it got.

3 hours ago, OhioFisherman said:

" LM can be found inside of brignall banks you won’t find em west of it. "

I will agree with that, any you do catch are flukes, don't depend or intend to catch them. Also what Musky said about the shallow spot in the narrows in the river. Once you get past the narrows the river opens up and looks like a lake, there was even a couple of areas that looked good for l/m bass, that was basically a waste of time, in 25 years or so we might have caught 2 smallish ones.

The river ( lake portion ) has some pretty deep water in it, and I did catch summer walleye there, but spring and fall were better, no spring experience myself, family and friends, never there before the bass opener myself.

I believe the main part of the river is around 60 foot. Also I agree with Ohio your time can be better spend else where at this time of year. 

3 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

I agree with ak September fishing there can be a puzzle but it can be solved. Yes walleye are difficult to catch but if you find some bait you should be able to find them. X2 with the SMB info. 

12 minutes ago, Boyd said:

Whitson Rock.png

Wow you fellas are like Xmas morning with all the info  lol. Is that shoal Whitson Rock by any means OhioFisherman? I'll try to paste a map to this post, hope it works.

No, the rock isn't Whitson Rock. It is in the Shawanaga river. If you look at the river there are what look like 3 small bays on the top. The rock is in the middle of the channel by third bay. If I'm a little unclear ask Geoff owner at Rock Pines, great guy he might be able to explain it better. Yes the lighthouse is past raspberry island. 

WHEn I get back to the city I will mark the rock in the river on a map for you. I’ve got a place up here just to the north of opeechee island. I fish and boat here every weekend so I have no prOblem helping you guys stay safe. Let Me know where you are thinking of boating and I will do my best to let you know the trouble areas don’t bother Fishing near the provincial park it’s overblown and not great. IF you want largemouth find pads in the area.

Sturgeon bay and the shawanaga arent charted, the water in them is stained and theres  surprises be careful. 

Edited by AKRISONER

http://fishing-app.gpsnauticalcharts.com/i-boating-fishing-web-app/fishing-marine-charts-navigation.html?title=POINTE+AU+BARIL+boating+app#14.86/45.5594/-80.3961

Boyd, if this is any help, I believe the rocks I mentioned on the way are off the northeast end of Burnt Island. It's been a lot of years for me Akri is far more update with info, as you can see from that chart there can be some wide swings in depth, quickly.

heres the reef (click on the picture to enlarge)...you need to hug the north shore in order to get around it. You will be able to see the rocks on the north shore, but you wont see the reef. Ive seen a few people float over it now that the water levels are so high again...which is pretty incredible because a few years back it literally stuck out of the water.

I wouldnt test it though, be safe stick to the north shoreline as you approach it and once you get past it, go back in the middle of the channel to go where you want to go. Be careful running the shoreline as well, theres some giant deadheads that stick out (my understanding is that they are there from the logging days) you will be able to see them, but if you arent paying attention you will literally run into a rail tie sticking right out of the lake.

reef_edited.jpg

Edited by AKRISONER

• 4 years later...

Thanks CrowMan for the info and the link. I like the quality/appearance of their maps and I will be subscribing.

However, unfortunately they do not seem to have a PC version and I was planning to use it at home for planning and printing some areas. Seems I often have more time in the office than on the water. Do you happen to know of any similar product that works on a PC as well.