In the market for a rainsuit.

Smokercrafty

this is one area you don't want to cheap out on.  if you like to stay out in the rain, spend the money on a quality suit.  i'm partial to cabelas guidewear only because that's what i own and it has served me well.

Thanks so far guys. I knew I was gonna have to spend a few hundred, just didn't feel right spending a grand for something I may have to pull out once or twice a year. Which was what I was originally told. I can justify a few hundred, especially if it can serve as a mutliseason jacket. 

36 minutes ago, Smokercrafty said:

Thanks so far guys. I knew I was gonna have to spend a few hundred, just didn't feel right spending a grand for something I may have to pull out once or twice a year. Which was what I was originally told. I can justify a few hundred, especially if it can serve as a mutliseason jacket. 

Just another view on that, if you are going to invest in a quality rain suit? Designate it as such, you can get a multi season jacket much cheaper.

I have Bass Pro Shops Pro Qualifier suit (bib pant and jacket). It was around $500, and so far I feel it's worth it. It's comfortable, has lots of pockets, and I've never felt rain or wind through it. One possible downside is it's a bit heavy for the middle of summer.

Take a word of advice from me, dont mess around with goretex knock offs...i have a Cabellas suit thats their own "goretex" and honestly it just doesnt match up...I have a true goretex Arctyrex jacket now...and you can bet it outperforms the non goretex. 

Everything i read says its between BPS 100mph and cabellas guidewear 

I got one of the Frogg Togg's from BassPro earlier.  Nice setup and doesn't cost too much for something that may get used a couple times a year.  I can't recall for certain, but believe it was the Toadz Rain Jacket I got.  It was approx $110.  I wanted one of those high end Gortex ones, but couldn't justify the cost since I'm not an Angler that's on the water 3 days a week rain-or-shine.

Edited by TheKawarthaAngler

I've got the 100mph and my tournament partner has the guidwear. We are both happy with our suits. I was fortunate enough to pick up the 100mph when our dollar was better and we had a 25% off card for BPS. I think I spend $450 Canadian on it. If you wait, you can get some good prices but they don't put the 100mph on sale very often. My Partner bought the guidewear for around $600 on sale not that long ago.

I don't think I would look at anything that wasn't Goretex but none of them are cheap. Some are cheeper than others to purchase so you'll just have to look around. Also, Akrisoner's Arctyrex is a premium brand. Some would say even better than Simms so you are paying more than just for the membrane. I believe most Arctyrex coats are 3 layer gore whereas the I believe the 100mph and guidewear are 2 layer. Just pointing this out so you see there is more to a Goretex jacket that just the name.

I use mine at almost every tournament. I wear at least the bibs when it's cooler in the morning as well as wear the whole setup in the fall until it hits under 10 degrees. Then, I pull out the winter jacket and the snow pants. But the suit is pretty much dedicated to the boat.

I used to own the cabelas suit below the guidewear - I think it was called dryplus. Not sure if they still offer it but I put it through some nasty fall days and it kept me dry for 5 years. Summer I like a lighter jacket as I'm not super concerned with staying 100% bone dry. Summer I use a cheap wetskins jacket from costco, light enough for summer and keeps you dry enough. Having a cheapo summer suit will extend life on the expensive suit.

58 minutes ago, Lape0019 said:

I don't think I would look at anything that wasn't Goretex but none of them are cheap. Some are cheeper than others to purchase so you'll just have to look around. Also, Akrisoner's Arctyrex is a premium brand. Some would say even better than Simms so you are paying more than just for the membrane. I believe most Arctyrex coats are 3 layer gore whereas the I believe the 100mph and guidewear are 2 layer. Just pointing this out so you see there is more to a Goretex jacket that just the name.

Arcteryx is definitely a different style of jacket, i wouldnt call it a "fishing jacket" they are made for mountaineering and hiking. Therefore they are the lightest jackets available pretty much on the market. The one i have is literally a shell so its not doing anythign but keeping you bone dry. You can also wear them in pretty warm weather because they are just the goretex material, no liner of any sorts. They are also double sealed at all seems and have a lifetime warranty...you definitely pay for it though.

I got to put it through the ringer down in south carolina this year when one of the hardest torrential downpours i have ever experienced in my entire life hit while we were out in the swamp...it lasted 20 minutes and the only parts that got a little wet were my wrists because the water was pouring so hard it was running off of my hands and back up my sleeves when i held my hands above my head to cast lol

Edited by AKRISONER

5 hours ago, BillM said:

Pretty much.  Best $$$ I've spent was on Cabelas Guidewear.  Not cheap, but worth it everytime it pours and I'm nice and dry.

Same here, I spent years and $$$$ cheaping out and still got wet and cold. Spent C$800 on some Cabelas Guidewear....one of the best fish fishing purchases I've ever made!

Some invaluable information here guys. Thanks a ton. I've been catching up on the "Alone" series, and saw the Toronto boys wearing some Arcteryx jackets. So I looked it up, only to realize the price point wasn't for me. Lol

I will however look into some of the other mentions you guys gave here. 

Edited by Smokercrafty

Arc’teryx is all I wear.  Have there insulated and uninsulated goretex jackets and pants.   Also have the jackets for wife and son too.  Outstanding made and will last a lifetime and all around performance for multiple activities.   

I like the Simms too, but never tried them.